Marina etiquette

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I didn’t even think about scuppers. My cockpit drains out the open transom. How many more reasons do you reckon we can come up with to illustrate how bad an idea that really is?

Jan 19, 2018
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake, NY
If I knew you were going to be handing out free copies I wouldn't have spent my money on a subscription. I too am a fan of GOB.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
It is like that in the US. Big area, lots of cultures, some pieces are common, much is local and some people are just different. Then there are generational differences, career and professional differences, gender and political/philosophical and economic differences. All of these things can affect how people greet one another in different circumstances. It is good to get European participation on this forum. It is hard to be outgoing when you don't speak the language.

- Will (Dragonfly)
"It is hard to be outgoing when you don't speak the language."
I'm sorry Will, I could not disagree more!
I've been really very fortunate to have spent a huge portion of my life living and working around the planet, and not once has a lack of language stood in the way.
An extended hand, a wave, a smile, heck on more than many an occasion an extended hand with a cold beer in it!
There is always a way to break a geographical/language/social/demographic barrier.
You just have to want to! And in the case of me traveling and sailors visiting foreign ports, the onus is on YOU,not them to make the effort.
Many, too many , times whilst in far flung places, I would see groups of Americans, complaining that the "locals" were rude or unwelcoming, what the hell do you expect?
You get off the bus , 50 strong and descend as a swarm, making no effort to embrace.
And to be fair, I've seen from Italians and Germans also, and pretty much every where else in between.
Make the effort to get uncomfortable whilst being respectful, goes a long way I'll tell you.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
"It is hard to be outgoing when you don't speak the language."
I've been really very fortunate to have spent a huge portion of my life living and working around the planet, and not once has a lack of language stood in the way.
An extended hand, a wave, a smile, heck on more than many an occasion an extended hand with a cold beer in it!
There is always a way to break a geographical/language/social/demographic barrier.
You just have to want to! And in the case of me traveling and sailors visiting foreign ports, the onus is on YOU,not them to make the effort.
Many, too many , times whilst in far flung places, I would see groups of Americans, complaining that the "locals" were rude or unwelcoming, what the hell do you expect?
You get off the bus , 50 strong and descend as a swarm, making no effort to embrace.
And to be fair, I've seen from Italians and Germans also, and pretty much every where else in between.
Make the effort to get uncomfortable whilst being respectful, goes a long way I'll tell you.
Jeepers. Well said, my friend. Well said. It’s amazing how distant even dock neighbors can be. And we not only speak the same language but we all speak boat!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
It is a class thing. Go to Harvard Business School's campus as a contractor engaged in blue collar work. While there speak to anyone, student or faculty, while passing in a walkway or corridor and get a cold blank stare in return. The upper classes are apparently taught to be rude.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I agree with you completely about everything you said after this statement. My statement wasn't that it wasn't possible, only that maybe the reasons Europeans don't greet as easily as Americans was a sense of language barrier. I have traveled a lot and never felt unwelcome or snubbed. The French have a reputation for rudeness which extends to the French Canadians an hour away from where I live, but I have not found that to be the case. Ecuador, Mexico, Saint Martin, Puerto Rico, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, French Canada, are all places I've been where the local language isn't English and I have felt warmly welcome by all. I have traveled to a few English speaking countries and had no better or worse experiences. I agree, it is on 'you' to make that connection. There are, however, cultural differences and knowing, or believing you can't speak a common language can contribute significantly to the reluctance to try.
I went to a hardware store in the Azores to buy a hose nozzle to wash the boat with. We had no idea how to ask for one in Portuguese. The patient cashier handed me a pencil and paper when I mimed writing and I drew a picture of what I wanted. Big smile and guided right to the shelf where they were. Actions speak the loudest when words are not understood. I would say "actions speak the loudest" but watching politics has taught me that words speak louder than deeds o_O.

It is always good to hear from a well traveled person. My perspective on things has certainly been enhanced by my experiences abroad. Once in a while, I am surprised by how I am seen as an American, but I have never been insulted, assaulted nor unwelcome.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
It is a class thing...The upper classes are apparently taught to be rude.
That may be true but not exclusively. The problem is parents not teaching ANY manners. Don’t get me started. If you want a rant I’ve got your rant right here, buddy. Seriously, don’t get me started!!!!

Actually I take back what I said about it being possible that it’s a class thing. I don’t think it’s a class thing at all. It’s a lazy-ass-parent thing!!!

Don’t get me started!!!!!!!!!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
No wait. In the world today I wouldn’t get put in timeout. You know what would happen to me? Do you? Do you? Exactly NOTHING would happen to me. Because I might get my little feelings hurt and pout. Or maybe even cry. We certainly don’t want our precious little babies to pout. Or cry.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
No wait. In the world today I wouldn’t get put in timeout. You know what would happen to me? Do you? Do you? Exactly NOTHING would happen to me. Because I might get my little feelings hurt and pout. Or maybe even cry. We certainly don’t want our precious little babies to pout. Or cry.
I'm sorry Kermie, I don't think the World would see you as one of their "precious little babies". There is still that long standing cultural prejudice against green people.
If it's any consolation, we on SBO, love you and wouldn't want you to pout or cry or have your feelings hurt. We (and I think I can speak for my fellow members here) are accepting and inclusive to those of us who may be any color, green included.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We moved to Mexico for a minimum of 2 years[ended up 4 yr]. We decided to learn a new language. I was 38.
When we spoke Spanish, whether it was broken, poor grammar or even sign language, the Mexicans always gave an appreciative smile and enthusiastically began the real key to human interaction...

Communication!

After traveling to Netherlands, China, Taiwan, Brazil, South Korea, Jamaica, Australia , Bahamas and having some French and Germans as best friends, I found each "generalized" culture to be very much the same.

IMHO cultural reactions can be traced back to their "Family Unit" or how a normal family is raised to interact with people outside their close family.

In my experience, it was the "Ugly American" that had the failure to communicate on any terms other then his own.
Jim...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've visited nearly every harbor/marina here in Southern California that offers public transient slippage, but I normally do not stay long if there is an anchorage or a YC reciprocal slip available. Also, I visited many in FL from my 11 yr of cruising the SW coast around Tampa Bay, as well as some in Canada. I personally have encountered no disagreeable people or circumstances that I can recall. Although, there has been occasional frustration dealing with marina management(s). In contrast, I've encountered MANY (but not a majority) loud, inconsiderate, rude and otherwise disagreeable folks while on anchor who need etiquette training there. :mad:

As for clanging halyards, I keep mine secure so they do not clang. If a boat near me has halyards clanging to the point of interfering with my enjoyment of the transient space I paid to use, then I might go aboard that vessel and secure it if it can be done quickly (i.e., not a big undertaking). If there's a barking dog w/no owner aboard I'd likely report that to marina management with a request to be moved to another slip or end tie. The thing that bothers me most is seeing dirty, shredding, US flags drooping from people's spreaders. Why don't they take 'em down?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The thing that bothers me most is seeing dirty, shredding, US flags drooping from people's spreaders. Why don't they take 'em down?
Your feelings are completely understandable. Pride enough to fly but not proud enough to keep in good repair? Don't insult the rest of us by leaving up a rag. Mostly I just shake my head and think that guy is confused about what that symbol means.

- Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
And we certainly wouldn't want someone to call child protective services, so we'd best not make our babies pout or god forbid cry.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
And we certainly wouldn't want someone to call child protective services, so we'd best not make our babies pout or god forbid cry.
A mom with a young son was ahead of me in Aldi today. The poor kid was crying. But I must applaud her for letting him cry instead of giving in to what he wanted. Sure, I didn’t enjoy hearing him cry but I say good for her.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I agree with you completely about everything you said after this statement. My statement wasn't that it wasn't possible, only that maybe the reasons Europeans don't greet as easily as Americans was a sense of language barrier. I have traveled a lot and never felt unwelcome or snubbed. The French have a reputation for rudeness which extends to the French Canadians an hour away from where I live, but I have not found that to be the case. Ecuador, Mexico, Saint Martin, Puerto Rico, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, French Canada, are all places I've been where the local language isn't English and I have felt warmly welcome by all. I have traveled to a few English speaking countries and had no better or worse experiences. I agree, it is on 'you' to make that connection. There are, however, cultural differences and knowing, or believing you can't speak a common language can contribute significantly to the reluctance to try.
I went to a hardware store in the Azores to buy a hose nozzle to wash the boat with. We had no idea how to ask for one in Portuguese. The patient cashier handed me a pencil and paper when I mimed writing and I drew a picture of what I wanted. Big smile and guided right to the shelf where they were. Actions speak the loudest when words are not understood. I would say "actions speak the loudest" but watching politics has taught me that words speak louder than deeds o_O.

It is always good to hear from a well traveled person. My perspective on things has certainly been enhanced by my experiences abroad. Once in a while, I am surprised by how I am seen as an American, but I have never been insulted, assaulted nor unwelcome.

-Will (Dragonfly)
My apologies for taking that one statement out of the context it was presented in.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The thing that bothers me most is seeing dirty, shredding, US flags drooping from people's spreaders. Why don't they take 'em down?
What would bother me more than that is why they are flying a US flag from the spreaders in the first place.... unless it's a courtesy flag from a foreign boat.. the US ensign belongs at the stern or backstay.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
What would bother me more than that is why they are flying a US flag from the spreaders in the first place.... unless it's a courtesy flag from a foreign boat.. the US ensign belongs at the stern or backstay.
I flew mine that way with the utmost respect and honor for our country and the flag. Then y’all explained to me the err of my ways. I now fly it from the stern rail.

Attachments