Hunter 26 mast raising pole (gin pole)

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Can someone tell me what the diameter is of the mast raising pole or (gin pole). I've got the length from the Hunter store at 101 3/8" but I don't know the diameter.

thanks
James

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Negatory. It is a larger aluminum pole and I have sent via last response to Rgranger who has one to measure. However due to info I know of we need to know the mast manufacturer to be on the safe side so look at the mast and you will see a sticker . In addition take a photo of the attachement which probably is a hole in the lower mast where the pole would slide in and measure it Jbreland.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Dave, its a Zspar mast, the hole in the plate is approx. 1 1/2 inches in dia.... but I figured the pole itself was nowhere near this large. I was thinking maybe 1" dia. When I owned a 23.5 I remember the pole was smaller than the hole it went into... any advise? I'm going to have to make up my own pole, because mine was missing when I bought the boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ask@rgranger
I made one from parts I found a t Lowe’s. It was less than $30

I’m on my phone now so can’t load pics but if you search the archives for my handle and H26 gin pole you might find the post. I showed a step by step how to. I might have it in my profile album section here as well

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
rgranger,
what did you use from lowes for the pole ?
electrical conduit (thinner) or black iron or galvanized water pipe. thicker...but HEAVY !!!

Jan 19, 2010
rgranger,
what did you use from lowes for the pole ?
electrical conduit (thinner) or black iron or galvanized water pipe. thicker...but HEAVY !!!
Outdoor fencing rail
The stuff they use for chain link fencing. It is exactly the same size and thickness.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
thanks rgranger for the work and the pics. I don't know that I've ever seen outdoor fencing poles in lowes but will look.
were you able to get one that is the 101 inches long though? I'm having a little trouble reading your calipers is that 1-1/4" in diameter ? also what is the thickness of the tubing wall on that fencing post.
thanks again

Jan 19, 2010
Hi @jbreland
I'm finally on my computer and should be able to give better posts now. If you go to the outdoor section and look in the chain-link fencing section, you will find the poles. I don't know the inner diameter only to say that the pole at Lowes was exactly the same as the pole used to make the gin pole. Yes I found them long enough (here are more pics)
I had to make a new pole because one of my baby stays pulled out during a rise and my mast fell. Did a lot of damage to the foot of the mast, bent the pole and bent the hooks for the baby stays.
2016-09-27 16.51.32.jpg
2016-07-19 17.03.34.jpg
2016-09-27 16.51.22.jpg
2016-09-27 19.05.30.jpg
2016-09-27 19.08.34.jpg

Attachments

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Thanks again rgranger, you are the man and my hero for the day. So you have found your pole to be plenty
thick/strong enough to handle the rigors of raising the mast right. I have no doubt I can make it just want to make sure it
is substantial enough.

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks again rgranger, you are the man and my hero for the day. So you have found your pole to be plenty
thick/strong enough to handle the rigors of raising the mast right. I have no doubt I can make it just want to make sure it
is substantial enough.
Yep

It works fine. It is the same thickness as the original. Good luck!