Yet another boat off the trailer thread

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
just finished the rear support and building the “beam” to get her off the trailer. Planning on auxiliary legs in the middle for the beam once the trailer is moved. And more support front and rear of the keel just in case

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice. Connect those two supports and lift the whole thing up onto casters and you may not need to replace the trailer. ;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
looks great-- word of caution: be mindful of the distance from the stern you have the lateral support. I found anything but right at the joint (plus or minus a few inches) started into the belly of the relatively unsupported hull. Just make sure as you load up the support that it's not trying to oil can your hull. I've switched over to boat stands but in my initial attempts you can see how close to the joint I stayed: and even in the boat stand model I tend to be within 6 inches of the transom joint
IMG_0288.JPG

File_004.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I would love boat stands.... Lumber currently is more in my budget. Tx for the heads up on the location. The plan was "as close to the bunks as possible. Then block just behind the keel trunk,as well as forward. I'll keep a weather eye out for oil canning for sure! But 6" from the transom work too.

Oct 25, 2015
Catalina 22 Cave Run Lake ky
A note of caution, do not put all of your supports close to the center line of the boat. Better to have a very wide stable base that will support the boat if you need to get into the boat for any reason.
The wider the better, I had supports under the out side rails and down to the ground at one yard. We had a very bad storm with over 45 mph wind and my boat stayed up right and another one with a similar setup, but no added supports fell off the supports.
Now I support all the way across the full width of the transom and at the max beam.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A note of caution, do not put all of your supports close to the center line of the boat. Better to have a very wide stable base that will support the boat if you need to get into the boat for any reason.
The wider the better, I had supports under the out side rails and down to the ground at one yard. We had a very bad storm with over 45 mph wind and my boat stayed up right and another one with a similar setup, but no added supports fell off the supports.
Now I support all the way across the full width of the transom and at the max beam.
And chain them together. The surfaces of a boat bottom slope, so tie the supports together to keep them in place.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I would love boat stands.... Lumber currently is more in my budget. Tx for the heads up on the location. The plan was "as close to the bunks as possible. Then block just behind the keel trunk,as well as forward. I'll keep a weather eye out for oil canning for sure! But 6" from the transom work too.
If anyone is looking, I just got a great deal on 5 Brownell boat stands through amazon prime. Saved about $250 on shipping.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I plan on having a portion of the trailer under the boat most of the time. Just need to clear for the keel and bottom scraping / painting then back onto the trailer

Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
just finished the rear support and building the “beam” to get her off the trailer. Planning on auxiliary legs in the middle for the beam once the trailer is moved. And more support front and rear of the keel just in case
I just got some boat stands on Craigs list. used a 4X6 beam for the bow across two stands. got a bow stand for after the trailer was removed. Whole thing was pretty simple.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
And perhaps because I'm paranoid-- but in addition to what @stonybrookpictures has done very nicely-- having the 4x6 straddling the top of the boat stand and it's ability to pivot -- I made a quick captive cap for the boat stand that has rails on the bottom so the cap can't slide against the stand top-- and also has the 2x4 pieces to capture the 4x6. Some cheap insurance that came out of the scrap wood pile:

File_003.jpeg

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I thought this was going to be about boats falling off trailers and couldn't wait to offer mine, so here goes...
Driving down a paved road right after a sharp bend I see 50 or so feet of white gel-coat skid marks on the pavement and a 18' or so bow rider on the road at the end. I had to drive like hell to catch up to a motor home hauling an empty trailer and then had to drive up beside him to flag him down to indicate the fact that his boat was missing. Other than the flat spots in the hull, he thought she would be fine to run that weekend after we got her back on the trailer!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Lol. I tried to help a guy who's aluminum boat ended up in the middle of our road. It spun breifly on the crown of the road before settling over on one garboard. He was moving and the trailer collapsed. That's because he was using his aluminum fishing boat to haul all the junk he owned to his new home. That boat was packed to over flowing. Probably exceeded the trailer's load limit twice over. I don't think he ever understood what he'd done wrong.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Im about to begin this adventure this weekend myself, as i build some stands to get the boat off the trailer for bottom paint and bunk replacement. woohoo

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I’d like to hear how others have gotten the bow off the trailer bunks. I have no issues with the stern based on lowering the trailer to the ground and then putting supports under the stern before raising the trailer up again. I’m not to confident with using jacks under the bow to lift it off the front of the bunks. I have done it twice but am sure others have better systems. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I’m not to confident with using jacks under the bow to lift it off the front of the bunks.
You could make a cradle frame for the bow. Just a padded 'V' to fit where you want it, such that the ends of the frame stick out to either side. Brace one end high on a tripod then Jack the other end up to level. If you haven't lifted high enough, just jack each end up, brace and switch sides.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...then-down-a-boat-that-is-on-a-trailer.182333/
This kind of shows the concept without the 'V' seat for the bow. Brace one end of the beam and Jack the other end up. Chalk the boat so it doesn't slide along the beam before it gets horizontal.

I built a 4x4 frame and lifted with 4 ratchet straps, two on each end.
20180430_061541.jpg

- Will (Dragonfly)