Simrad WP30 Worth Repairing?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
The belt inside our WP30 is apparently failing, and generating some steering friction, which is increasing by the day. Karen is removing it as I type this. There is a service bulletin, dated 2001, in my copy of the service manual, explaining that this was found in about 50 cases of the 3000 units sold to that point.

Does anyone know if parts are still made for this unit? Is it worth trying to replace the internal belt?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I know that there was a post on SBO that identifies a source for belts for the WPxx. I have one on my wheel and in the back of my mind I was meaning to get a spare belt. Where in the forums I don't remember. But I am sure if you did a search you will find it. I think mine is a WP32. So you might search for "simrad belt" or "wp32 belt" or words to that effect.

Feb 17, 2006
Update: I found the post with the info. Caveat - I have not contacted these people nor ordered from them. So I cannot confirm if they still have that belt.

Motion Industries, Inc 1345 LANDMEIER ROAD ELK GROVE VILLAGIL 60007 PHONE 847—956—1414 FAX 847—981—1939 MI Item # 02705545Mfg Item # 1OAT5/825 Description METRIC TIMING BELTManufacturer JASONPrice (07/06/06) $19.97

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/simrad-wp30-32-revisited.78632/#post-409110

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Thanks Brian. I searched the terms you suggested and struck out, so thanks for finding it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, the topic is old, like 2009 or so. Good luck.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If anybody has parts for WP 30, I need a spoke clamp. Every source I've tracked down no longer has them.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
If anybody has parts for WP 30, I need a spoke clamp. Every source I've tracked down no longer has them.
Scott, are those the eccentric pieces that go over the spoke pillars, and then were covered with the "Simrad" badge? If so, we are missing ours as well.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Scott, are those the eccentric pieces that go over the spoke pillars, and then we're covered with the "Simrad" badge? If so, we are missing ours as well.
Yes, that's it. Did you find a way to secure the spoke? I'm thinking of wrapping the spoke pillar on one side with gorilla tape just to fill it out. I'm only missing one, so I can adjust one side, at least.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Didn't know they existed until we broke out the service manual yesterday. There has always been a gap between the pillars and the wheel spoke, creating a certain amount of slop for the pilot to overcome. In three years, the unit has probably been in use for a total of 15 minutes.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, my belt is brand new. I bought the thing about 5 or 6 years ago and it had been new, in a box, in somebody's basement since they stopped making them. I finally got started installing it. If I don't like it, I'll send the belt to you. I lost the spoke clamp because it fell out of the box in my basement when I was moving it around for re-organization. I distinctly remember finding it on the floor, and not knowing what it could possibly be, tossed it. :( I know the belt is new because I took it apart last summer. It's more than a little tricky putting it back together, getting the screws and nuts to catch. Perhaps there is a trick to it that I couldn't figure out. It took me a long time and more than a little luck to get it back together. My fingers aren't nearly skinny enough!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@Scott T-Bird - if you can find it, the kit that would have the two cams for the spoke pillars, as well as the Simrad badge, is Simrad part number WPPK20 (wheel pilot parts kit #20). I got that directly from the folks at Simrad (Navico). They confirmed that all their parts are gone.

If you don't like the belt, I'd be happy to have it.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Also, Simrad mentioned a company that may have made a version of the replacement belt. It was called Michigan Belting. I'll try to track them down.

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
gates makes a belt that fils. I bought 2 about a year ago. Email if you need the number Bob

Feb 17, 2006
@bobtigar, just put the info here. Someone in three years will be looking for a replacement belt, see your post, then have no way to contact you.

So if Simrad does not make parts anymore, would they be willing to release the documentation that some non-stress parts can be 3D printed? Enquiring minds what to know. LOL

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
In 3 years everything could be discontinued smart ass. Gates #GAT5-825-10

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the info. I'll add it to my lists of parts needed for the WP-32.