Marina etiquette

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Will, it is a European thing
not really
I certainly come from there (check my last name) and I always share(d) the "hi" or "hello" (both when hiking in the mountains and when walking in a marina). It might be local; it might be a generation thing (older people do that, younger people don't??).

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It could also be that some people are more outgoing than others. Some folks that come across as not friendly are really just shy. (Of course some are jerks.)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It might be local; it might be a generation thing
It is like that in the US. Big area, lots of cultures, some pieces are common, much is local and some people are just different. Then there are generational differences, career and professional differences, gender and political/philosophical and economic differences. All of these things can affect how people greet one another in different circumstances. It is good to get European participation on this forum. It is hard to be outgoing when you don't speak the language.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 11, 2017
Rival 32 Traverse City, MI
the marina in Elk Rapids might be closer to the shopping center, but I don't think so.
The last time I was in Elk Rapids (two or three years ago) the marina had a shuttle that would take boaters to where they wanted to go around town.

If you are towing a dinghy, make sure it is secured so that it does not extend into and cannot drift into the fairway. I was once in a slip next to a boat with a dinghy tied to its stern by a long painter. The painter was so long the dinghy drifted over and blocked the end of my slip.

I have a slip in Elmwood Township Marina just down the road from Suttons Bay. We have a list of 40 rules. I would think Sutton Bay's rules would be similar. Rule 14 requires securing lines "so that there will be no clanging in heavy winds (especially halyard lines against masts)." Rule 19 prohibits outside cooking of any type on the docks, boats, and walkways.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rule 19 prohibits outside cooking of any type on the docks, boats, and walkways.
Bummer Man!
Dockside cookouts use to be some of the best times when I was a kid. Beer batter fried grouper and slip neighbors included the boat cats. pic_20180220_065947.jpg
Everybody had a great time and I don't think there was ever a complaint.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
john, which marina are you at? i am sailing to my new slip in Elj Rapids this spring.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
If you are towing a dinghy, make sure it is secured
Ha! I'm basically sailing a dinghy! I think my Capri 18 would look a little silly towing something - probably really effect the performance as well.

Although my other boat (or - one more in the fleet i guess) is a passagemaker dinghy that I built from a kit. They say it tows very easily. Still, an 18 foot boat towing an 11 foot boat? . . . be fun to watch I guess.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@Apex
We are visiting Sutton's Bay in the first week of August.
We've sailed on Traverse Bay a few times on a Hunter 170. We rented a cottage on Old Mission and sailed over to Elk Rapids. Great Marina, and a wonderful little town.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Bummer Man!
Dockside cookouts use to be some of the best times when I was a kid. Beer batter fried grouper and slip neighbors included the boat cats. View attachment 149758
Everybody had a great time and I don't think there was ever a complaint.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Cooking on a wooden dock usually includes drinking, two of the prime ingredients for the 'fire triangle'. Most marinas with which I am familiar prohibit cooking on wooden docks for good reason.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Cooking on a wooden dock usually includes drinking, two of the prime ingredients for the 'fire triangle'. Most marinas with which I am familiar prohibit cooking on wooden docks for good reason.
When I was a kid growing up at a commercial/public marina, everyone drank all the time. Cooking out didn't change that.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Our marina prohibits cooking on the Dock as well. Fortunately we can grill things on the Magma, over the water. Good times that grilling and drinking!

IMG_1052.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
I received this invitation from GOB recently and wondered how you might feel about aiding in the magazine distribution, with respect to Marina etiquette? Secondly, how would you feel if I dropped a copy in your cockpit? I’m leaning towards helping out!

04BF8065-B2A0-4AA5-96CC-A4A20683733E.gif

Fellow Good Old Boater,

We’ve now been around for 20 years, and if there is one thing we’ve learned in that time, it’s that our success depends on getting the word out, letting other sailors know we exist. It’s not an easy task, but one successful prong of our approach is when our readers help spread the word.

We’re preparing an extra-large print run of our July edition, the 20th anniversary issue, and we’re looking for volunteers to help us get those extra copies into the hands of sailors. We know they’ll like us once they get to know us.

If you’d like to help us spread the word, we’ll send you as many copies of the July issue of Good Old Boat as you need to reach every sailboat in your marina. The next time you’re in your marina walking the docks, you can drop a copy in each sailboat cockpit. We’ll make sure each copy is wrapped in plastic (little raincoats for our magazines) with a letter inside introducing ourselves. Just tell us how many you need. We’ll send them to you packaged in boxes in late June.

If you're interested and able to participate in the world's largest-ever Good Old Boat cockpit drop, please respond by June 1 to Karla@goodoldboat.com.

I'll need to know:
- Which marina you have in mind (help us avoid duplication)
- The number of copies you need (in multiples of 25)
- Shipping info (UPS needs your name, street address--no PO Box, and phone number)

Whether you’re able to volunteer or not, thank you for supporting Good Old Boat. Producing this magazine is a labor of love and we hope you enjoy each issue as much as we enjoy putting it together. For those who can help us spread the word, I offer a hearty “thank you” in advance.

Karla Sandness and the Good Old Boat crew

This email was sent to you by Good Old Boat
If you prefer not to receive promotional offers from us in the future, please unsubscribe here.
If you wish to change your email address, please change email address here.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I received this invitation from GOB recently and wondered how you might feel about aiding in the magazine distribution, with respect to Marina etiquette? Secondly, how would you feel if I dropped a copy in your cockpit? I’m leaning towards helping out!

View attachment 150502

Fellow Good Old Boater,

We’ve now been around for 20 years, and if there is one thing we’ve learned in that time, it’s that our success depends on getting the word out, letting other sailors know we exist. It’s not an easy task, but one successful prong of our approach is when our readers help spread the word.

We’re preparing an extra-large print run of our July edition, the 20th anniversary issue, and we’re looking for volunteers to help us get those extra copies into the hands of sailors. We know they’ll like us once they get to know us.

If you’d like to help us spread the word, we’ll send you as many copies of the July issue of Good Old Boat as you need to reach every sailboat in your marina. The next time you’re in your marina walking the docks, you can drop a copy in each sailboat cockpit. We’ll make sure each copy is wrapped in plastic (little raincoats for our magazines) with a letter inside introducing ourselves. Just tell us how many you need. We’ll send them to you packaged in boxes in late June.

If you're interested and able to participate in the world's largest-ever Good Old Boat cockpit drop, please respond by June 1 to Karla@goodoldboat.com.

I'll need to know:
- Which marina you have in mind (help us avoid duplication)
- The number of copies you need (in multiples of 25)
- Shipping info (UPS needs your name, street address--no PO Box, and phone number)

Whether you’re able to volunteer or not, thank you for supporting Good Old Boat. Producing this magazine is a labor of love and we hope you enjoy each issue as much as we enjoy putting it together. For those who can help us spread the word, I offer a hearty “thank you” in advance.

Karla Sandness and the Good Old Boat crew

This email was sent to you by Good Old Boat
If you prefer not to receive promotional offers from us in the future, please unsubscribe here.
If you wish to change your email address, please change email address here.
Or we could put them under under everyone’s windshield wipers. And put a Good Old Boat bumper sticker on every car. And set up auto dial to call everyone during dinner.
As much as I’d love to have a free copy I do NOT want anyone throwing a copy in my cockpit. Seriously? I mean seriously?

Mar 8, 2017
Shannon Pilot House 38 Los Angles
Don’t pump out your head in the slip at 0300 hrs and use head deodorant. Sounds like common sense but it actually happens! A lot!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
@BlowMeAway I know I sounded pretty hot under the collar with my response. But most slip holders don’t visit their boat very often. I fall right smack dab into that category. A magazine in a plastic bag in a cockpit could easily collect debris and dirt and just about anything else in the world. That’s why I wouldn’t want anything just dropped into my cockpit. And you did ask how we feel about it. And I still love you man!

Nov 30, 2015
Hey @Kermit ,
No offense taken here. I’m totally on the fence about this, with a slight tilt towards providing some free copies. Being a Libra, I sometimes have difficulty making informed decisions, hence my boat’s name. I struggled mostly with the cockpit drop theme. I imagined these plastic lids covering up scuppers in the cockpits and flooding the tub. Secondarily, I was concerned about the obvious solicitations involved and got a good chuckle from your post above.

I think my current plan will be to acquire 25 copies and anonymously place them near the public bulletin board with a “Free” sign posted above the stack. Sooooo...Mums the word!

I really enjoy reading GOB and have a lot of respect for the staff there, as well as wanting to be a friendly corporate minded citizen.

Seriously, thanks for your honesty and humor...Love ya too pal!