Horror Tow

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have towed a number of boats with 4 x 4 Jeeps and with 4 x 4 Tahoes out of slippery ramps.
Often without even using 4 wheel drive... Just like driving on ice, slowly and not breaking traction. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this world who believe, that if the wheels start spinning, more throttle is the answer. Never forget that with most rear wheel drive vehicles, when the right rear loses traction,the left rear just sits there and does nothing, because the do not have positraction.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I drove CJs with 258s in them for years. I had real good luck with them. I'm looking for a new tow vehicle now & would consider a Jeep again, if the towing capacity ratings were not so low. Back in the 80's, I towed a lot of stuff with those things. As long as you had good trailer brakes, they did a good job. If your trailer brakes were not up to the task, then they were a jack-knife waiting to happen.
We were towing a 19' Robalo Center console on an Aluminum Float on trailer with no trailer brakes. Similar to the one pictured below.

Robalo.JPG

My freind's boat was slightly overpowered with a 200 hp Mercury Black Max.

Trailer brakes would have made it much easier. :banghead:

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
We were towing a 19' Robalo Center console on an Aluminum Float on trailer with no trailer brakes. Similar to the one pictured below.
A trailer that weighed probably 3,500-4,000#, with no brakes, being pulled by a jeep that weighed maybe 3,000 with a driver & some gear on board...
Yep, that sounds scary. That rig was waaaaayyyyy over the 40% rule.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
A trailer that weighed probably 3,500-4,000#, with no brakes, being pulled by a jeep that weighed maybe 3,000 with a driver & some gear on board...
Yep, that sounds scary. That rig was waaaaayyyyy over the 40% rule.
Plus we had loaded the boat with all of the scuba tanks, weight belts, camping gear etc along with lots of beer. What were we thinking?

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
The courthouse from that scene in my cousin vinny is where I register all my vehicles! Everytime I go in there I picture that movie. I park my truck for work in the lot where the little old lady that couldnt see without her glasses lived. I go to that exact store everyday( sac-o-suds). Great reference for positraction!!!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I've towed an offroad popup camper all over with my Jeep including out Coyote Canyon in Borrego. The low towing capacity on the short wheelbase Jeeps is due to the.... short wheelbase. Where a TJ (1999-2006 wrangler) would have been rated something like 1000lbs, an XJ (Cherokee of the same vintage) with the same exact drivetrain would be rated 5000. It's just too easy to end up facing the wrong way with a long trailer on a short vehicle. I've also towed the Jeep with my motorhome. It's much less whiteknuckle to tow the Jeep than to tow with one. A SWB jeep is a terrible vehicle to tow a boat with.

Dunno how anybody would think Jeeps aren't very good offroad.....

If I go to Big Bear to play in the snow, the only vehicle I'll take is my jeep. I've run Holcomb Creek trail in about a foot of snow before - had to winch alot tho.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The courthouse from that scene in my cousin vinny is where I register all my vehicles! Everytime I go in there I picture that movie. I park my truck for work in the lot where the little old lady that couldnt see without her glasses lived. I go to that exact store everyday( sac-o-suds). Great reference for positraction!!!
That courtroom scene from beginning to end, where he brings Marisa Tomei in as a "hostile witness" is one of my ALL time favorite comedy scenes.

Mar 29, 2015
Great movie! Hard to believe its been 26 years! Still makes me laugh, now it makes my 10 year old laugh too!

Mar 29, 2015
0516181749.jpg Maybe this will help. They also run a rafting service...look at the vans very closely. Yes. I actually live in THAT town. Still tiny. Good little lake nearby that I live on. Not great for sailing, but there are bigger better lakes within an hour. My job is in a development on one of the better ones and I can dryslip my mac25 for cheap at work.

Mar 29, 2015
I keep my hobie at home for a quick sporty sail when conditions are good.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I am going to have to go through there on my next trip to North Carolina. Any excuse to skip Atlanta is welcome.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@pateco
Not sure but check state regulations as to trailer brakes unless you are in one of those states that does not title or register boat trailers. The cutoff is generally 3000 pounds total weight being towed requiring brakes. Suggest you put them on for your safet as I do not want to see an obituary.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
@pateco
Not sure but check state regulations as to trailer brakes unless you are in one of those states that does not title or register boat trailers. The cutoff is generally 3000 pounds total weight being towed requiring brakes. Suggest you put them on for your safet as I do not want to see an obituary.

Not sure how other states law reads but in Florida it is what the trailer is CAPABLE of carrying so even if you have a 2,000# boat on an 800# trailer with dual axles you must have brakes on BOTH axles.

That being said I rarely see anyone with a boat under 25' with brakes that work unless the trailer is less than two years old.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco
Dave,

That trip was almost 40 years ago. I would not do it again without trailer brakes.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Many years ago I was launching my 15 foot boat for a day of flounder fishing in Brigantine, NJ but when I arrived at the ramp with my brand new car towing my boat I found the tide was out and the water was about a foot below the end of the ramp. Not to be deterred I backed down with the trailer wheels at the end of the ramp and got out to push the boat off the trailer but I was so far down the ramp that when I pushed the boat the whole car began to slide on the slimy ramp. I quickly grabbed some rocks for the car and trailer tires and stopped the slide and was then able to launch the boat. Fortunately another boater waiting for the ramp threw some sand under the wheels and I got the car back up the ramp and parked. I then realized in my excitement I hadn’t secured the boat and it was already 50 feet away in the current. I managed to swim to the boat, start it and get back to the dock. Then I realized I still had my wallet in my pocket. Just one of those days.