HOSE BARB 1/2 NPT MALE TO 3/8

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Does anyone know where I can get one of these other than Beneteau USA? It is the think that attaches to the stern tube. I read a lot here about failure and I would like to instal a spare.

I hear Ben US sells a kit that uses an epoxy - does anyone have a phone number I can call them to get that? It does not show up on the parts search for my Model (331)

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Here's the scoop. Good news bad news for sure. Beneteau USA no longer supplies the oem fitting.
1. Order a replacement from Annapolis Yacht Sales. ($)
They claim that it is "the" replacement fitting for our application. Cost approximately $45. Bad news is it is not
the oem fitting supplied from the factory. The Annapolis version is not the same size, it is brass (not bronze), the walls
of the fitting are thin, (not nearly as thick as the oem fitting), and you are going to have to tap the stern tube /shaft log to
accommodate the new fitting.
2. Order the real deal oem fitting from Ancasta International Boat Sales. ($$)
The part number is 460646 (Stern Tube fitting repair kit)
It is a bronze fitting (yes, I have definite confirmation that it is bronze. It is stamped on the fitting "BRNZ".)
It is a metric size nipple that is approximately 1/8" with threads on one end with hose barbed fitting on the other
end. Much thicker walls as compared to fittings that you can buy locally. It will screw into to your existing threads on
the stern tube, if you can get the old one out without breaking it.
If you are lucky, you wont have to retap the hole. The bad news is that this "kit" including the fitting and epoxy is
going to set you back about $230. including the kit, VAT, & shipping. Outrageous!! I am embarrassed to admit it;
however, that's what I did. Took me ten minutes to remove the old one and install the new one. I am satisified because
a have a bronze fitting with thick walls that should last several years. No glass work necessary. Will take approximately 5-6 weeks to receive it.
The contact information for Ancasta is
Telephone: 02380 457370
Email: enquiries@ancasta.com
send to the attention of Jacqueline or Tricia, they were very helpful.
3. Change the configuration: ($)
Epoxy a band of woven roving completely around the diameter of the stern tube, approximately 2-3 inches in width,
in effect, building up the thickness of the tube. Tap thru the layup to an appropriate size male hose to npt pipe nipple.
You can order a high quality 316 SS fitting from McMaster Carr. Cost of this method is more reasonable; however,
its going to take some time to layup the glass work and tap it after hardening. The fitting will cost approximately $25
including shipping. So figure approximately $75 in materials and a few hours work. If you have the yard do this, forget
it because the labor charges will be somewhat expensive.
4. Scrap the fitting installation entirely and convert to a PYI inc., PSS mechanical shaft seal. ($$$)
or similar mechanical seal.

I believe that it is sad that Beneteau USA will not supply the oem fittings at a reasonable cost to their customers.
They installed the darn things in their boats; they should supply the replacement parts. They actually put out an
advisory several years ago that the fittings should be inspected and replaced on a regular basis. They
advised buying a replacement at a hardware store. Problem is you can not find a bronze
fitting nationally for this application; bronze fittings are much larger in diameter. I did not feel comfortable using a
a thin walled brass fitting for this application. Perhaps it is a liability problem for them???

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I have had PSS's on prior boats and they worked well. Lots to consider here. For a PSS on a Beneteau 331, does that mean the shaft has to be pulled?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The coupling that attaches the shaft to the transmission would have to be removed from the shaft and the shaft moved aft to allow the new seal to be installed. If the shaft can not be moved far enough aft, the prop would also require removal to allow sufficient shaft movement. Think that option 2 or 3 above is the way to go. I have had the Volvo rubber shaft seal on my boat for eleven years, doesn't leak a drop. Its simple with no mechanical parts to fail with the exception of the stern tube fitting. BTW, the PSS seal also has a nipple for cooling water.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
All of those prices seem absolutely crazy.
Instead of looking for a bronze fitting, has anyone investigated the idea of a similar
“plastic” fitting. Just a thought. ...
It seems like there should be something in the world that would be adaptable.
I was thinking of the types of fittings that are used in refrigerator ice makers and water dispensers as an example, or in compressed air fittings for small air tools.
I have seen some nylon thread to barb adapters in a WW Grainger catalog good to 150 psi for just a couple of dollars each, the only problem is that they come in packages of 10.
There are also polyethylene fittings that are available in smaller packs available for different hose sizes for each npt size, either straight or 90 degree.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
#1 Even if you could find one you could not pay me to replace a bronze or brass nipple threaded into a thin walled fiberglass stern tube no matter how much of a volcano of epoxy you build up around it.

#2 Is there some special reason the hose has to be 3/8" ID at the stern tube end?? 1/2" to 1/2" male adapters are readily available in bronze, but this is still a very Lego grade "fix"...

#3 Depending upon where the boat was built it is likely BSPP threads and may not be NPT..

#4 Consider starting fresh and installing a PSS or other water injected box and properly glass over the hole in the stern tube.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Nice write up Big! When I replaced my shaft log water fitting a couple of years ago the AYS fitting screwed right into the location, it was NPT and tightened up nicely. No tap required. Built it up with the thickened epoxy in the kit and it seems to holding up well. If it ever gives me a problem I will probably put an off-the-shelf PYI kit the shaft and move on, however as you note, have never had a problem with the Volvo seal, grease and forget every season. One thing I considered was finding a SS threaded insert that could be epoxied into the shaft log and thread in an out replacement nipples every few years.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Does anyone know where I can get one of these other than Beneteau USA? It is the think that attaches to the stern tube. I read a lot here about failure and I would like to instal a spare. I hear Ben US sells a kit that uses an epoxy - does anyone have a phone number I can call them to get that? It does not show up on the parts search for my Model (331).
Some Benny dealers have small chandleries for their boats. Annapolis' AYC for one. I believe a couplepeople got the kit there? Gunni?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yes, as Big Easy notes Annapolis Yacht Sales https://www.annapolisyachtsales.com/ Parts department sells a kit that includes single-use epoxy, thickening filler and the nipple along with instructions. I picked it up at the parts counter for $25.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Doug,
I tried finding a marelon fitting as used in thru hull fittings and valves; however, couldn’t find a comparable size. Didn’t want to use a nylon fitting because of exposure to salt water and vibration. Also, if it gets inadvertently hit, it could crack. Found some decent 316 SS fittings, but again would require some glass work and retap. Probably the best long term solution; however, I took the easy way. First one lasted 10 years; another 10 years and I will be at the age that I will be out of sailing & let someone else deal with it!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I have had PSS's on prior boats and they worked well. Lots to consider here. For a PSS on a Beneteau 331, does that mean the shaft has to be pulled?
I'm in the process of installing a PSS on my 351 (or trying to anyway), and have run into the problem of a short and smaller dia. on the stern tube under the original Volvo seal.. This problem and the fact that the stern tube runs close to the hull, (not much room to slide the new PSS bellows on to the exposed tube), is leading me to maybe think about lengthening the existing tube. Not sure if your 331 has the same arrangement.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Brian; Photos of the bilge shaft log would be appreciated...and a write up of your conversion. Good luck.

Feb 21, 2009
Beneteau 361 Sag Harbor
I bought a 361 on Florida last year and sailed her offshore up to Sag Harbor LI. She was a California boat and never winterized. When winterized I lost the raw water valve/barb and the shaft cooling nipple/valve/barb. Junk good thing they didn't pop during my passage. Dose anyone now if the through hull strainers are OK? They appear solid.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Rich,
You can order bronze fittings from Groco ( thru hull, valve, and tailpiece) with BSPP threads on all of the fittings so there is no problem with mismatched threads. I recently installed one and it worked well. With regards to the thru hull strainer, they are a one piece casting; the external strainer piece was not removable. Zebras would clog the strainer and it was impossible to clean, so I got rid of them. Not to mention the problem with mismatched npt/nps threads. Also impossible to clean out the the thru hull from inside the boat if a plastic bag attaches to the external strainer. A swim would be required to clear the obstruction.
With regards to the shaft tube nipple, see previous posts above for options.

Feb 21, 2009
Beneteau 361 Sag Harbor
I have a South Carolina boat I think the through hulls are npt. Ordered groco valves and tail pieces but I'D RATHER NOT CHANGE THE STRAINERS. Does anyone know of they are bronze? They seem solid and have never clogged on me

R

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I lost the raw water valve/barb and the shaft cooling nipple/valve/barb. Junk good thing they didn't pop during my passage..
While going through the trouble and expense of changing valves and tailpieces, why not replace the thru hull fitting also? Beneteau was known to use inferior fittings that were not a high grade bronze. Even if you have a later model 361, those thru hull fitting are approaching 15 years. If you like having a strainer, Groco also has a hinged strainer that can be opened to clean the strainer and thru hull if needed. Would not be a good scenario to save $30. on a new fitting vs having one of the old fittings break. “If anything is going to happen, it’s going to happen out there!”

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I replaced with 316 stainless 3/8 barb 1/8 npt from amazon 5 of them for 14.00 , I also added a transmission cooler, hose goes to cooler first then out of cooler to shaft tube barb