Bottom Strip & Drivetrain Mods...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We went to Ensenada, Baja California to Baja Naval for a complete bottom strip, three coats of barrier coating, keel fairing and two coats of bottom paint. While I was at it, I had a PSS bellows replaced for the third time in 2700 hours, an R&D Marine (through PYI) flexible coupling and a split shaft coupling installed. I also had a new Cutlass bearing installed; good thing! The old one was pretty well done. Never replaced before. The Cutlass bearing was purchased through this site and I found the 40.5 manual was in error; the manual calls for a 3" bearing. The correct is a 4". Thanks HBO! They called it.

The trip to Mexico doubles as an opportunity to have a mini vacation. The yard is also very thorough and professional; I feel comfortable with the quality of their work. I received an e-mail with photos each day on progress and/or issues.

The yard had to notch the timber going under the shaft to make room for the long (and heavy) tail of the split coupler. However, it all came together quickly, ten days ahead of schedule. The flexible coupling is an experiment. It does seem to reduce the vibration somewhat although I may just be wistfully thinking. The split shaft coupling is there to reduce banging on the shaft in the future removals. Anyhow, all is well and she's good to go for a while!

Photo Apr 23,  4 19 39 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 23,  4 20 16 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 23,  4 20 31 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 26,  9 34 52 AM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 23,  4 19 39 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 23,  4 20 16 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 23,  4 20 31 PM_preview.jpeg Photo Apr 26,  9 34 52 AM_preview.jpeg

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Rick
Don't quite understand what appears to be a shaft collar between the bellows & the split shaft coupling
Gather you had to shorten the shaft??
Before you launch, look at the new under water lights from Luma tech
Only 1/2" hole

Only live once Rick!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Rick
Don't quite understand what appears to be a shaft collar between the bellows & the split shaft coupling
Gather you had to shorten the shaft??
Before you launch, look at the new under water lights from Luma tech
Only 1/2" hole

Only live once Rick!
The shaft collar is an accessory back up from PYI for the shaft bellows so that it will not slip forward in the event some dork re-uses the set screws et al. It is simply in a temporary location on the shaft during the install. Actually, I did not shorten the shaft. It now extends about 2" further out from the Cutless bearing than before. (The split coupling is really long but the end of the shaft seats in the same place as the pressed on one. The extra length is in the flex coupling.) I was worried I would get more shaft whip, but the vibration is muted and there seems to be no other roughness. I do seem to feel a bit more propwash at the helm at lower RPMS, but it may be me looking for differences.

EDIT TO CORRECT: I just looked at the photo again and the collar Art was asking about is the carbon face of the PSS shaft seal which seats against the bellows when it is slid down the shaft and compressed against the bellows. The safety collar is on the left, on the deck awaiting installation at the end of the job.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thought I would mention a "tip" at this point
Trying to get a shaft out of a flange it's been mated to for many years can be almost impossible
The mistake people make is that they go "totally nuclear" on the shaft & flange,
Throwing everything they can at it to try & bash it out
Don't do that. There is a very easy & methodical way.

Unbolt the flange from the engine.
Get bolts a few inches longer than the original flange bolts.
Get some PB blastster (WD will work but not as well), and soak the thing for days by spraying at it.
Now, get a socket wrench socket the same diameter as your shaft, or slightly smaller
Put it between the shaft flange and the transmission flange
Install the long bolts.
Now, you have a press-out tool
Very, very carefully, sequentially tighten the bolts, while tapping with a dead blow machinists hammer.
Use a heat gun as well on the shaft flange.
With some very careful compression on the bolts, you will push the shaft straight out of the flange
CAUTION!!!!!!!!
The shaft flange is cast iron
If you over-torque, you will crack it.
Go very slow, and really careful!!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Art, we were part owners of a 24' double-ended 1917 Fay & Bowen launch powered by a (PITA) Grey Marine. When we had to pull the shaft on it, that is exactly what I did. Worked very well. In my own boat, after watching some ape try to beat it to death about seven years ago when I replaced the bellows for the second time, I decided the next time I would install a split coupling to make all the banging unnecessary. It can't be good on the transmission or anything else!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Question..
What was the cost of the flex coupling & where did you get it
Both the flex coupling and split shaft coupling are R&D products distributed by PYI. I think the flexible coupling was just south of $300 as is the split shaft coupling. These are more expensive than alternatives but when you compare, it's obvious these have both greater redundancy and are more highly engineered IMHO.
http://www.pyiinc.com/r-and-d-marine.html