And what do you hear?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What is this all about?
It is the latest internet meme, remember the "what color is the dress?" meme? Same idea only with sound not color.

According to the CBS Evening News the correct answer is Laurel.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
But there is no correct answer. Some will hear YANNY while others will hear LAUREL. I hear the latter, my wife the former. So there is no "right" or "correct" answer, it is what you hear.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
On this POS iPad, I hear "yeahwee", but with earbuds in, "laurel".

Go figure.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I heard yanny the first few times after seeing the report on the news. I now hear laurel and can no longer hear yanny. Yanny is substantially higher-pitched than laurel. Weird stuff.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They say the first thing to go, as we age, is hearing high pitched sounds.... I can't remember what goes next...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
On second thought...

I heard 'Yaurel' the first time, then I looked at my choices and heard 'Yanny', but it quickly turned into 'Laurel'

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Oh.. come on Will...:banghead:
You heard it.... Gilmore... Gilmore... Gilmore.... :poke:
It was you teacher calling attendance...:yikes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oh.. come on Will...:banghead:
You heard it.... Gilmore... Gilmore... Gilmore.... :poke:
It was you teacher calling attendance...:yikes:
I still hear that. Followed by the test announcement and the realization that I never owned the book and don't have any clothes.
:redface:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Imagine, if you will, that Laurel was the code word for distress. Many would ignore your plead because they heard Yanny, which is the code word for surf's up.

Oct 22, 2014
Surfs up??? Where. What size? Any curl? How far ar the sets apart? What are the temps... When can we go?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Many would ignore your plead because they heard Yanny, which is the code word for surf's up.
Surfed as a kid and now taken it up again 45 years later. Never heard the term "Yanny" for surfs up. I must be out of it.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's crazy! I hear LAUREL (both over the laptop speakers and with earbuds) so clearly it's hard to imagine it being heard differently.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I saw an analysis of the sound, Laurel was in the Bass and Yanny was in the Treble. If you can listen with the Bass/Treble adjustments you will hear both.

Those that hear Yanny, like me, the study showed, have a higher level of intelligence.:pimp:
On our BIG screen TV, the Admiral finally heard Yanny.

Then she remarked...

"Now I know why you never hear what I say!":kick:

Jim...

PS: Post #11 link has the bass/treble analysis

Last edited: