Whatever it takes

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
yea I hear you.... but that's the difference between someone tinkering with their own house, and someone who gets paid to do it. Like most tradesmen, they have come up with best practices to allow for efficient building. Different from how you or I would do it.
Jackdaw,
I am a professional trades person. I have worked cabinet making and carpentry in New Hampshire, Boston, Winston-Salem NC, both coasts of Florida, and I can tell you that most professionals go for a "good enough" approach. Efficiency means different things to different people. For some, efficient is doing it fast, for others it is doing it cheap, still others want high resale while beauty is often overlooked as a measure of efficiency, but is what customers want too. I wanted no space for bugs and rodents to nest. At the time, that was what efficient meant to me. It is never just a closet or just a garage, if the customer can ever see it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Funny how I didn't mention quality as a measure of efficiency. Strength of construction and utility of design are all measures of efficiency from one perspective or another.

In mathematics, there are formulas or equations that work and there are those that are considered 'eloquent', meaning, they utilize the least number of steps to get the perfect results with absolute logic.
I try to go for eloquent, but often settle for good enough.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Funny how I didn't mention quality as a measure of efficiency. Strength of construction and utility of design are all measures of efficiency from one perspective or another.

In mathematics, there are formulas or equations that work and there are those that are considered 'eloquent', meaning, they utilize the least number of steps to get the perfect results with absolute logic.
I try to go for eloquent, but often settle for good enough.

- Will (Dragonfly)
“Eloquent” exists in software engineering too! We have a word for the opposite: a kluge. Pronounced: kloooj. It means a poorly designed and poorly executed solution or a stop-gap, quick fix.
On the otherhand, companies will complain if you “GoldPlate” your software. It means to go to extreme lengths for the perfect solution, creating new libraries, interfaces, databases, etc in order to implement your solution. Many companies want you to use “BoilerPlate” to cut costs. It means to keep the solution simple, reuse solutions where possible, and make it easy to maintain.

So these concepts exist in many professions.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
If you think about it, the whole MacGregor sailboat is a similar exercise in efficiency of build, just enough but not too much of anything, with a touch of beauty in the lines.