AIS and Chart APPS for Great Lakes

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I am about to embark on a 200mile journey, transferring No Worries from Muskegon to Elk Rapids.

I have downloaded a couple of FREE apps, but initial use looks like the Great Lakes are not part of that app. (perhaps I am missing a setting?)

Great Lakes Sailors: What do you use? This is backup to my chartplotter and paper charts. And AIS will be only receiver on board.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
First, the Great lakes ARE part of the freely distributed NOAA charts set, so free or low cost apps that rely on that should have them available.

Second, the NOAA charts generally do not proved detailed coverage of Canadian waters, where charting is available from Canadian authorities at cost.

Third, I use iSailor (US or full Great Lakes available), with downloadable weather and AIS subscriptions.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I've been a big fan of OpenCPN ...........

https://opencpn.org/

It runs the free NOAA charts (plus some others in different parts of the world). It is free and it you connect it via a serial cable to your AIS you will also see the AIS targets on the screen.

I believe there is also an Android tablet version one can run now. I find it is easier and faster to use plotting a course than doing the same on our high dollar chartplotter. Also you are viewing a much larger screen than your chartplotter,

Sumner
===============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
First, the Great lakes ARE part of the freely distributed NOAA charts set, so free or low cost apps that rely on that should have them available

Third, I use iSailor (US or full Great Lakes available), with downloadable weather and AIS subscriptions.
Jackdaw: Yes, downloaded electronic .pdf of all the charts relevant to the trip. I will look at iSailor. I have a friend who is using ?ShipFinder?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
As long as you have cell service the ais apps are cool. Other wise, invest in a vhf radio with ais receive feature. You can purchase an xlnt quality fixed mount receiver with ais, such as those made by simrad/bg/lowrance, for $300-350.

Nov 8, 2010
As long as you have cell service the ais apps are cool. Other wise, invest in a vhf radio with ais receive feature. You can purchase an xlnt quality fixed mount receiver with ais, such as those made by simrad/bg/lowrance, for $300-350.
To be clear, iSailor will use an internet AIS service, or NMEA data broadcast over WiFi.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I use OpenCpn on my laptop and Android tablet. Both work great and use the free NOAA charts. Note that there are two OpenCpn apps in the play store. The free one is a knock off. It works but does not have any tech support or the plug ins like radar or AIS. The paid one (12.99 as I remember) is the real deal with all the bells and whistles.

I'm also in Muskegon and have done that trip a few times. It's a nice run with some great harbors and nice scenery.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I use Navionics on my iPad and iPhone. No errors so far in Lakes Erie, Huron, Superior, St. Clair, and the Thousand Islands.

These back up paper charts, and a hand held color charting gps.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I use inavx software running the navionics charts on my iPad.
I also have a digital yachts AIS system that created an onboard wifi network that communicates with my iPad.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
To be clear, iSailor will use an internet AIS service, or NMEA data broadcast over WiFi.
Unfortunately, I have neither internet nor wifi when beyond 3 or 4 miles or so from shore... I understand it's better between Catalina and the mainland....

Nov 8, 2010
Unfortunately, I have neither internet nor wifi when beyond 3 or 4 miles or so from shore... I understand it's better between Catalina and the mainland....
Oh, as Quad mentions in the post above, lots of boat now create their own local WiFi network with a small router sending NMEA data to any app on that boat that is attached to the network and listening. These devices are now very small (they look like a NMEA2000 terminator) and cost less than $200.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
I see what you're talking about... My comment to Apex was simply to remind him that "ship finder" "boat beacon" and such apps, need a data source... either internet (through cell service) or from onboard vhf based data. His easiest and quickest fix is to connect an AIS vhf receiver to his chart plotter with a basic nmea network.... Then he can see all targets on the plotter screen and off he goes. He can use the phone app where there is service... but he can always use the vhf radio's ais feature's full time.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I see what you're talking about... My comment to Apex was simply to remind him that "ship finder" "boat beacon" and such apps, need a data source......
Yep and there might be boats out there that you aren't seeing that have AIS since they don't have data on all of them, just what others are sharing with them. Considering that, I am surprised the data they do have in remote places, such as places that I'm familiar with in the Bahamas.

I agree with you Joe that the best thing to do is get a VHF radio with AIS or a stand alone AIS receiver and connect it to your chartplotter,

Sumner
=========================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I have opencpn running on a raspberry Pi, feeding a screen, very low power use.
For just gps it's very easy to setup
I also have heel angle, live AIS and weather, which does require a learning curve.
Can't say enough for the opencpn project though, very cool software

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
thanks all, a new VHF install isn't in the cards for this trip. I suspect I will upgrade very soon, which will help in connectivity and added options.
I have also had a friend recommend pocketgrib. Should be a busy weekend finishing prep for nextweek!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I have opencpn running on a raspberry Pi, feeding a screen, very low power use.
For just gps it's very easy to setup
I also have heel angle, live AIS and weather, which does require a learning curve.
Can't say enough for the opencpn project though, very cool software

Same here. I also added the AIS board to it and have it running off a second antenna mounted behind the solar panels and still have great range with it even though it isn't top of the mast. The Standard Horizon radio also has AIS and uses the mast antenna. I don't see any real difference in targets shown between them though.

Computer takes up virtually no space and ...

... I currently have a 10 inch monitor running off of it. Above OpenCPN is running on the laptop to the left and the 10 inch monitor connected to the Pi on the right. As mentioned, way lower power requirements than even an efficient laptop. I use a full size keyboard and a mouse with it, but other options are available,

Sumner
===================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Last edited: