Whatever it takes

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A friend of my is repairing a large section of wet core today on his Schock 35. They found a low spot but were out of balsa. So a trip to the Ace Hardware store around the corner, and they came up with a novel solution.
whateverittakes.jpg

See it?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice! :clap:
But, won't it make her a little off balanced? I mean, paint stick pine isn't as light balsa.;)

Seriously, nice work.

- Will (Dragonfly)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I would have been more inclined to head for the hobby shop (think model aircraft) and see what kind of balsa stock they had on hand and built some end grain balsa pieces out of it.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Necessity is the mother of invention for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
day one: stop worrying we have plenty of material. day two: no problem it's going along very nicely. day three: it's gonna be close! day four: oh, fiddlesticks! I should have bought that piece I put back on the shelf.

I think we have all done that. Inventive solution.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It could be he forgot to stir the paint. Better late than never.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Ace Hardware sells sheets of balsa. Why go with a different wood?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Something else they could have used is door jam shims. They are tapered, so they would feather in well with minimal sanding.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
That makes me twitch.........Will it work, sure. Would I do something like this, I suspect JD wouldn't aboard BlueJ....amIright?

Nov 8, 2010
That makes me twitch.........Will it work, sure. Would I do something like this, I suspect JD wouldn't aboard BlueJ....amIright?
It’s probably just fine, but it does jangle my sensibilities.. a few years ago my carpenter brother came to town to help with an addition I was finishing on my old house. He watched me try and make a behind the scene bit of wood perfect and he said, “we’re building a HOUSE, Clay, not a Swiss watch!”

Point taken.

But I am happy Beni uses solid hulls. Modern vacuum injected resin systems pull resin into core kerns and prevent such wide spread disasters, but that picture gives me the chills.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
But I am happy Beni uses solid hulls. Modern vacuum injected resin systems pull resin into core kerns and prevent such wide spread disasters, but that picture gives me the chills.
Couldn’t agree more! Think that I would have repaired with layers of matt & epoxy.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
He watched me try and make a behind the scene bit of wood perfect and he said, “we’re building a HOUSE, Clay, not a Swiss watch!”
Counterpoint. I used to work as a carpenter and I always hated it when someone invariably said, "it's just a closet." or "it's just a garage."
Jackdaw, your brother is right, but there is a line that goes the other way.

I hired a couple of carpenters to help me rebuild my own bathroom. I designed and built the case pieces with the intention of installing them a certain way. When the carpenter helped me fit one piece in just to see if it would fit, it was perfect and it leveled precisely so he wanted to just screw it in and be done. The only problem was, I designed it to sit on a seperate kick plate and frame, which we hadn't put in first. So I said no. He wanted to put the plate in later because it still needed the tile face applied. The cabinet face hung over the box so the kick base was too big to fit under the front edge after the install. His answer was to cut the kick base down so it would just slide under. I said no. He thought it would be more work to take the box back out just to get the base in. I felt cutting the base down was more work. I also didn't want the gap between box and base. I purposely designed it to avoid that gap. I also hasn't meant for it to be a wall mounted box. It was plenty strong enough, but I would have added supporting back rails.
He got really ticked-off when I refused.
He declared sarcastically, "It's not like I know how to install a cabinet."

We never got along after that.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Counterpoint. I used to work as a carpenter and I always hated it when someone invariably said, "it's just a closet." or "it's just a garage."
Jackdaw, your brother is right, but there is a line that goes the other way.

I hired a couple of carpenters to help me rebuild my own bathroom. I designed and built the case pieces with the intention of installing them a certain way. When the carpenter helped me fit one piece in just to see if it would fit, it was perfect and it leveled precisely so he wanted to just screw it in and be done. The only problem was, I designed it to sit on a seperate kick plate and frame, which we hadn't put in first. So I said no. He wanted to put the plate in later because it still needed the tile face applied. The cabinet face hung over the box so the kick base was too big to fit under the front edge after the install. His answer was to cut the kick base down so it would just slide under. I said no. He thought it would be more work to take the box back out just to get the base in. I felt cutting the base down was more work. I also didn't want the gap between box and base. I purposely designed it to avoid that gap. I also hasn't meant for it to be a wall mounted box. It was plenty strong enough, but I would have added supporting back rails.
He got really ticked-off when I refused.
He declared sarcastically, "It's not like I know how to install a cabinet."

We never got along after that.

- Will (Dragonfly)
yea I hear you.... but that's the difference between someone tinkering with their own house, and someone who gets paid to do it. Like most tradesmen, they have come up with best practices to allow for efficient building. Different from how you or I would do it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...they have come up with best practices to allow for efficient building. Different from how you or I would do it.
I love to tell people that the H26 I am currently sailing only cost me $1,100. But the truth is, that is how much I paid for my very first MacGregor V21. I restored and flipped that boat and seven flipped boats later, I now have an H26 that only cost me (OUT OF POCKET) $1,100. However, if I counted the hours I put into restoring those old boats (AND DOING IT RIGHT) I am sailing one of the most expensive H26 sailboats on the water.

Lets be honest... some of us like tinkering with our boats almost as much as we like sailing them.

Last edited: