Cherubini Hunter for the long haul

Spazz

Oct 9, 2016
Hunter 1978 cherubini 30 shoal draft Little Falls
My wife and i own a 1978 hunter 30 sd cherubini. It was intended to be our first boat, but many many upgrades, repairs, tweaks later we love it and dont want to part with it....the issue...we want to take it all over the big pond and live aboard. Besides tankage, what reason would we really have to need to go bigger, newer, different style boat, ect if we are comfortable with what we have?

Looking to hear from others that have made long trips in various different weather conditions and what their thoughts are.

Please dont hold back....nothing is more valuable then old salt perspectives.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Following to learn, but I'd replace all the standing rigging and look at beefing up the life lines. I think you also need to make sure the hatch boards are watertight too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
.we want to take it all over the big pond and live aboard.
This sounds like a great adventure, but how are you planning on doing that? Do you either of you have a residence visa? You cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 day period within the Schengen area, same in the UK.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I have the same boat but a '77 model. A couple of questions. OK, four.
How long have you had your boat?
What upgrades have you done?
How long was your longest trip on her?
Where did you cruise?
I feel that before we can really answer your question we need to know a bit more background.

Spazz

Oct 9, 2016
This sounds like a great adventure, but how are you planning on doing that? Do you either of you have a residence visa? You cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 day period within the Schengen area, same in the UK.
Jackdaw....not sure but i know others do it all the time, so i am sure there is a way, but thank you for the thought, i have have to research that further. Do you have any insights?

Spazz

Oct 9, 2016
I have the same boat but a '77 model. A couple of questions. OK, four.
How long have you had your boat?
What upgrades have you done?
How long was your longest trip on her?
Where did you cruise?
I feel that before we can really answer your question we need to know a bit more background.
Roland: we have had the boat for 3 years and longest trip was 10 days. We stopped and dropped the hook or got a slip every night though. We are going to do more night traveling this year. Worse part of our 10 day trip is it ended. Also (and i think it is due to the shoal draft) when wind pipes up to 10 knots we have to put in our first reef in main and roll in genoa to 100%.

We sail lake ontario and spent 21 days in the keys but on a much larger charter boat (morgan 1988 40ft oi).

We have wind and solar for electric which currenlty covers all of our electrical needs with no issue (as well as a 420 amh house bank). We have replaced the main sail and have a new genoa coming. All lines are lead aft to new lewmar clutches. Have a spinaker and dedicated halyards for the whisker pole topping lift and downhaul. We rebedded all of our hardware and will re bed toe rails and stantions this year. The yanmar was overhauled in 2006. It is a 2gm20f. 2 burner propane range with propane locker (even though i hate where it is). 6 winches (2×40s and 2 10s above the companion way and 2x 35s for the jib sheets on sb and pr of the helm). Dc 12v top loading refrigerator with cold plate. Fesh water pump with 60 gallons capacity (no hot water yet....on the to do lost). We also have a porta poty as previous owner removed the head and sealed the throughull under the port side of v birth...i am considering a composting toilet, but i know a porta poty is not going to cut it...already it only last us 6 days if on sparingly used.

Cbt autopilot, garmin gps, and vectron 712 battery monitor.

Im sure there are things i forgot, but that is the bulk of it currently.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well, I lived on my H30C for two years. I've owned it 39 years. I've sailed it around 10,000 miles. I am leaving on cruise next week.
Biggest problem is, as you said, tankage. I have a collection of Jerry Jugs for fuel and water. I have a flow restricting sprayer head on the sink faucet and I also tape the water pressure switch in the 'off' position...
You want water from the system, ask the captain.
I also installed a manual salt water faucet at the galley sink for dish washing.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
We cruised for 6 years in the Caribbean on a Westerly 36 and a couple of months in the bahamas on an O'Day 37 and now own a Hunter Cherubini 27. The Cherubini is just as well built as the two boats we have successfully cruised in. The downside of your H30 is it's size not it's age or builder. You have taken care of the age part by inspecting and replacing older systems and gear. The 2gm20f is a great little engine with parts available online. You can't change the size though. A short water line boat is slower under power and sail. You will be doing overnighters while other sailors can make the next anchorage in daylight hours. A smaller boat is not as comfortable as a larger boat. You will not have the option to power into head winds between fuel stops because of the limited tankage. Storing supplies, spare parts, and water for a long cruise will be a challenge. I would suggest a hop over to the Bahamas as a test run for your future cruising plans.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...we want to take it all over the big pond and live aboard.
Please define what you mean by taking it all over the big pond. If you mean coastal cruising, with stops at various ports as needed, then I think you already have most of it figured out, aside from local knowledge & knowing what ports offer what amenities. If you mean crossing over to the med, then you might be asking a lot of a little boat.

I would suggest a hop over to the Bahamas as a test run for your future cruising plans.
This sounds like real good advice to me. It's about 60 miles as the crow flies from Palm Beach to West End. The Gulf stream is usually pushing hard to the north. Most guys start that trip from around Lauderdale to compensate for the current. If you have winds out of the north, then the gulf stream will likely give you a good shake down, while you are still mostly within VHF range of land. A sat phone, or at least something like a spot tracker, is a real handy thing to have if you are going any further than that. It's good to have the spot or an in-reach, even just to go that far. If you punch your EPIRB in the Bahamas, the USCG will normally be the agency that responds. Towing insurance from Tow Boat US & probably also SeaTow covers the Bahamas too.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If your '78 Hunter 30 is like my '77 Hunter 30 I would:

Re-do the hull to deck joint.

Change the forward chain storage locker such that it could be sealed off. I'd make the door where you access it from the forward berth much beefier and actually seal it with a locking mechanism.

Definitely beef up the companionway both boards and that whole structure.

There are two ventilation scoops mounted on the stern that can't be closed. I'd either remove them, put in some other way of venting, or make some way to securely seal them off if needed - an easy access method.

Others have mentioned beefed up standing rigging. I'd have to see your boat to give more advice on your external hardware set ups.

I personally would not consider this a blue water boat. It's a great coastal cruiser. From your profile looks like you are in New York. So am I. If it can be worked out, I'd be happy to swing my your boat some time and take a look at it. Send me a PM if interested.

Good luck.

dj

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw....not sure but i know others do it all the time, so i am sure there is a way, but thank you for the thought, i have have to research that further. Do you have any insights?
@Spazz , If you are an non-EU citizen, you cannot stay in the EU or any combination of EU countries for more that 90 days. Before the Schengen Agreement that created the so-called 'common borders', cruisers wanting to 'stay over' for longer periods used to jump from one country (France to Italy for instance) to re-start the clock. This is no longer possible, as they all have a common border with a common entry. This issue is well known and discussed constantly on cruisers forums. Some have chosen to try and ignore it any fly under that radar. Your call!

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
.i am considering a composting toilet, but i know a porta poty is not going to cut it
I’m no expert on this (Peggy would know better) but I would think not having the ability to discharge overboard out in the ocean would be a real bummer.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Also (and i think it is due to the shoal draft) when wind pipes up to 10 knots we have to put in our first reef in main and roll in genoa to 100%.
WOW! That's early, in my opinion. I usually don't reef until about 15+ knots. Then, I only furl my genny to about 100% and leave the main full. On a long run I might take take a reef in the main just so to reduce heel and lessen the strain.
That being said, I think you are on the right track in getting your boat ready but as Heritage said:
I would suggest a hop over to the Bahamas as a test run for your future cruising plans.
A hop across the pond in our little boats is another whole story. Me, personally, I would need one BIG A$$ boat. If for no other reason than the ability to store massive amounts of :beer:.