HI all -
not sure if the thread is dead?
But now it is between a new :

2018 Tohatsu 6 HP MFS6CSPROUL SAIL PRO Outboard Motor
6hpHORSEPOWER

61.0 lb WEIGHT
$1,579.99

or a used 8hp mercury 2008 I found on eBay with an electric start = 1200$
but it is 80-91lbs from what I have found.

Price is tempting on the 8hp plus EH - wow.
But I am concerned about the weight on the transom of motor.
Currently it has a 96' 2stroke 9.9 mercury - which I think is 57-64lbs from what I can find out online.

Please advise + thanks

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I would get the Tohatsu. I think that it is a good match. It has all the bells & whistles, like a real forward/reverse shiftier & a 12v charging system. I have had good luck with Tohatsu in the past. Reduced weight is a big plus in my book.

Used outboards, are a roll of the dice. Even if the 8 wasn't so heavy, I would shy away from buying one that I didn't first see in person & test out in the water for several minutes.

I had a bad experience a few years ago. I bought a little used 6hp that ran great in a garbage can full of water, for the minute that we tested it before I bought it. When I tried it on the boat a few days later, it overheated in just a few minutes. When I tried to disassemble the lower leg to fix the water pump, I found that 2 of the bolt heads had been broken off & glued back into place, just for show.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
I went with the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro and have had it out a few times now. So far so good I think it is a little rougher running than my old Honda 5hp but it hasn’t really had a chance to break in yet. The long shaft allowed me to get rid of the lowering bracket I had to use with the Honda and that in itself is a HUGE improvement!

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
Like others here, I use a Tohatsu/Nissan 6hp Sail Pro with 25 inch shaft. Works perfectly well, pushes the boat at 5-6 knots (depending on conditions, easy on gas (just make sure you are using non-ethanol) easy to install and remove. Mine is an older model with the shift lever on the side instead of the front. Because she's only got the one cylinder, she's a little shaky (vibrations) at half to three-quarter throttle but I think most other engines like this would be the same. I rarely have mine above half throttle. The engine also has a screw type lock so that you can lock the engine into the trail position but I had to install a strip of Velcro loop inside the band so that it would stay put. I like to lock the motor and use the rudder when motoring longer distances but found that locking the motor while launching or retrieving in windy conditions can be very bad. Last fourth of July I was trying to launch under these conditions and got pushed into the dock while trying back out and to turn into the wind at launch. Put a hole in the boat (above the water line) and cost about $550 dollars in repairs. I have now been informed that the motor can be unlocked and rudder stowed when attempting to maneuver in tight quarters. Live and learn, I guess. All that being said, I have had other outboards and like the reliability (my tohatsu normally starts on the first or second pull) easy transport (I store my boat at the yacht club but bring the motor home in the truck.)

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Well, since there's no penalty for piling on, another vote for the Tohatsu 6. Lighter and brand new. There's no telling how many hours a ten year-old outboard has been run.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Guys Thank you!
Sounds like the tohastu is it. That story JimIn told scares my 1200bucks right back into my pocket!

The only other one I was considering was the mercury 5HP sail model but I would need to buy the alternate kit + ($165) plus a 3 gal fuel tank.

The only plus was that my marina mechanics are diehard mercury - and really don't want to work on anything else I think.

I have heard online that the Mercury 5hp really is a tohastu? Is that just a rumor - wouldn't be the first time a us company had a japanese motor under the hood.

Thanks !

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tohatsu small engines also builds the Mercury and Nissan engines and funny thing manuals are identical. The older Mariner engines were Tohatsu

Remember one thing, burn only ethanol FREE gas to prevent corn crap clogging jets in carb or yo will be seeing my ugly face getting to make dinner for me
68B02BAB-6219-4ED8-B5D8-1E9953059E7A.gif

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I just put a 7 pitch 4 blade on my Tohatsu 9.8 did a comparison test in a barrel this thing pushes some water compared to the 7.5 3 blade it’s probably 30 percent more water being forced around in the barrel. Hunter 26

Oct 20, 2018
Hunter 23.5 St. Petersburg
we have a Tohatsu 9 electric start short shaft which works extremely well and tips completely out of the water when sailing or moored. No slime or barnacles on the motor.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have a Honda 9.9 that is way too much motor for the 23.5. Never run more than 1/4 throttle. Opened it up once and got to 8 knots. Way too loud and vibrated to the point of loosening my fillings. Just wanted to see if it would go beyond hull speed.
The motor is a 1995 and starts on the first pull (when the battery is dead from not running the motor enough). Very reliable but once when the electronic ignition failed. Sailed into my dock with less drama than often with power. The wind god was with me that day.

Oct 20, 2018
Hunter 23.5 St. Petersburg
We have a Hunter 23.5 and a Tohatsu electric outboard motor 2018. It is a great motor and doesn't seem too much for the boat. Also, it is quiet and easy to work. We are in the process of repairing our rudder which needs 2 circular spacers 1/8 inch by 3in diameter. Hunter doesn't have these but they do for the 24 which I ordered. They were way too big and too thick to fit. I have tried everywhere to find these spacers (they allow the rudder to swing up) and are between the aluminium and the bottom part of the rudder. Does anyone have any idea where I can get some?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Nothing wrong with a used outboard if you're patient and know what you're looking at. decide what you want and keep your eyes open for low hour examples. I've picked up these two in the past couple of years. one for each of our boats, for about $500.00 each, all-in including new pumps and extension kits. be willing to purchase the 5" extension kit as well, as that opens up a lot more potential for finding low hour motors. 5" extension kits are often found on E-bay for anywhere from $50.00 to $200.00 depending of if it's new OEM or used etc. I got an OEM kit, in the factory box, for this 3HP for $200.00. very easy to install and you can put in a water pump kit wile you're there anyway.
P1060827.jpg