Anyone install a c-head on a Capri 26?

May 15, 2012
Compac 19 Falmouth
Hello All,
I purchased a Capri 26 last November. I have spent virtually no time on board due to my schedule and the marina’s regulations (long story). I do know that if I keep the current head, I’ll be replacing all the hoses as well as doing a rebuild. I’m reluctant to do all that since the holding tank is only 10 gallon capacity and the tank is higher than the toilet. So not only will I need to use a lot of water to flush, but I also wouldn’t get many flushes before I’d need a pump out. Therefore I’ve been thinking about installing a composting head (c-head). Space looks tight but doable if I use the bucket shorty model. http://www.c-head.com/c-head_news.html
I’ve made the mock up but still will be a few days before I can get on the boat & check the fit. Has anyone installed a composting toilet? Any advice?
Thanks for your help.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
On any boat much smaller than about 28', a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty-- makes a lot more sense than a "composter," especially the C-Head, which is essentially just a kitty litter box. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I think the tank is 8 gallons.
It doesn't require a lot of flushes. The tank is exactly next to the head there to port of the hanging locker, only inches from the head. If you remove that little drawer, you can see the top of the tank.
It's a tall rectangular tank with a pickup tube pump out, so it'll hold most of its capacity.
I had a tank monitor on mine, using the exterior sensor strips. 8 gallons was never a problem for single hand for several days. Easily do a long weekend with 2 people, if you don't use water to flush #1.
I also had a macerator and overboard tank discharge, so I'd empty it at sea on the way to next destination.
Try it first before you start modifying.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
the holding tank is only 10 gallon capacity and the tank is higher than the toilet. So not only will I need to use a lot of water to flush, but I also wouldn’t get many flushes before I’d need a pump out.
All manual toilets except the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head are designed to use sea water, so you wouldn't be using any of your fresh water to flush. But you're right that it wouldn't take many flushes to fill up a 10 gal. tank. The average flush from any manual or electric marine toilet is .6 gallons...the average adult uses the toilet 5x/day...so each adult continuously aboard would put 3gal/day into the tank. You might be able to cut that in half if you never use any water to flush urine only, but that still wouldn't give 2 adults enough tank capacity to last through a normal weekend, much less a long one.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
All manual toilets except the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head are designed to use sea water, so you wouldn't be using any of your fresh water to flush. But you're right that it wouldn't take many flushes to fill up a 10 gal. tank. The average flush from any manual or electric marine toilet is .6 gallons...the average adult uses the toilet 5x/day...so each adult continuously aboard would put 3gal/day into the tank. You might be able to cut that in half if you never use any water to flush urine only, but that still wouldn't give 2 adults enough tank capacity to last through a normal weekend, much less a long one.
I did it for years.
Same boat - C26.
Was 6 days circumnavigating Catalina Island solo. No problem.
I think your daily usage estimates are a little high, except maybe for a land toilet, or user who thinks a head is a land toilet :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The estimates are averages...and have been proven over the years to be typical. On average, each toilet pump is about a pint...unless the tank is right next to the toilet, it's hard to move bowl contents into one using fewer than 4 pumps...how many more depends on the distance. Granted, using the dry setting for more of 'em drastically reduces the volume, but unless you're asking for permeated hoses, enough water has to go through 'em to rinse 'em out at least once a day. And 5x/24 hrs isn't nearly as often as you might think (and doesn't take into account the increased frequency of geriatric bladders). We go when we first get up, usually at least once mid-morning and again around lunchtime. Once more early evening and usually at bedtime. Only one of those trips includes solid waste (at least it should!), which requires a lot more flush water unless you add water to the bowl ahead of use (use a cup from the sink!). Much less often than that and you're not drinking nearly enough water to remain sufficiently hydrated.

May 15, 2012
Compac 19 Falmouth
On a previous boat 2 of us were filling a 20 gallon tank in 5 days. I’d start being paranoid about capacity after 4 days. Don’t want to have the paranoia set in after only 2 days so it’s either a porta pottie or composting head for me.

Peggy, I appreciate your comments and will seriously consider them. By the way, on a previous boat I followed your suggestions and bought a Raritan ph II as well as followed the guidelines in your book. Not sure if I ever sufficiently thanked you for that so here’s a belated thank you.
Marc