Extra Diesel

May 7, 2018
Catalina 315 043 Wickford, RI
Has anyone developed a clever way to carry extra diesel jugs other than strapping them to a board on the lifelines? For a Catalina 315.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Has anyone developed a clever way to get the diesel from the diesel jugs into the diesel tank , while bouncing around in the sea ?

:worship:

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I use a hose, cleverly sized to be large enough to fit snugly over the spout on the jerry can and small enough to fit into the fuel fitting on the boat. Make it long enough that you can put it onto the fuel fitting while the can sits on deck in a good spot. To fuel, stick the hose over the spout, stick the other end into the boat's fuel fitting. Lift the can and start pouring.

Works for us and best of all, no mess.

Matt

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
My anchor locker is deep enough to carry an extra jug. I don't know how deep the anchor locker is on a Catalina 315. Worth a measure.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Has anyone developed a clever way to carry extra diesel jugs other than strapping them to a board on the lifelines? For a Catalina 315.
I tie a couple of heavy lines between the shrouds, one higher than the other, and tie the jugs to the heavy lines. This is very secure, and leaves room on the side deck to walk around the jugs. I do diesel jugs on one side of the boat, and water jugs on the other side. In addition, I put some anti-slip material that we use on shelves in the cabin under the jugs.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I use a wood board from Stanchion to stanchion on each side and tie jugs to this board for carrying extra fuel.
I used this board to hold 6 jugs when I sailed from montauk NY to Punta Gorda 7 days out on in ocean in 2008 and still use it when ever I go cruising here in SW Fl. and everything is still everything the same jugs and wood boards

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Yup, I've used a shake siphon offshore in 10 foot seas. I put the can on the stern seat and it's perfect.
The only issue I have had is doing this in the rain. I had to do this last Sunday as I ran out of fuel on the ICW in the rain:banghead:.
Black Smoke?
It is difficult to transfer fuel and prevent rainwater from getting into the fuel fill.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The only issue I have had is doing this in the rain. I had to do this last Sunday as I ran out of fuel on the ICW in the rain:banghead:.
Black Smoke?
It is difficult to transfer fuel and prevent rainwater from getting into the fuel fill.
Nope. Super easy. I never put fuel directly into my tank. It always goes through a separation filter first. Currently I am using a Mr. Funnel.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I use a wood board from Stanchion to stanchion on each side and tie jugs to this board for carrying extra fuel.
I used this board to hold 6 jugs when I sailed from montauk NY to Punta Gorda 7 days out on in ocean in 2008 and still use it when ever I go cruising here in SW Fl. and everything is still everything the same jugs and wood boards
Yeah this is what we do too but I have never loved it. We have them on our starboard side only. I have two diesel, two water and a gasoline. I can probably store the empty water jugs somewhere else now that we have a watermaker.

Our 20 gallon water heater is near the end of its life, thanks to a leak in the emergency tiller hatch. So I when we replace that it will either be with a 6 gallon heater or an on demand if there is a suitable one out there. That could free up space for a 15 gallon second diesel tank. Then I would just carry one on the rail and the gasoline.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have one of those and didn't realize it separated out water.
Unique Filter Technology
When fuel is poured through a Portable Fuel Filter, water and debris will not pass through the filter’s fluoropolymer-coated stainless steel filter. Only filtered fuel flows through to your engine, improving its efficiency, durability, and proper operation. The sump area collects the deflected water and debris for proper disposal.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have not seen many “proper disposal “ containers on local fuel docks. Will someone please enlighten me as to what they look like. Maybe they are there and I do not recognize them.
Most of the commercial dock I visit expect you to pump fuel and go. Take everything with you and dispose of it somewhere else.

Kind of pump pay and dash.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have not seen many “proper disposal “ containers on local fuel docks. Will someone please enlighten me as to what they look like. Maybe they are there and I do not recognize them.
Most of the commercial dock I visit expect you to pump fuel and go. Take everything with you and dispose of it somewhere else.

My answer probably won't be of much help because Smitty hasn't been to a fuel dock in 3 years. In fact the only time we docked in the last 3 years was one month during the Irma/Maria hurricanes last September. I gerry can all my fuel to the boat. But I pour the remnants back into the last gerry can. At a fuel dock it would be a little harder to deal with, but you could carry a little one gallon can with you to pour the bottom of the filter with you and then dispose of it with your oil.

But to be honest, when we were in the US I used Valtech only for the most part and never had a water issue. Down here its a major problem and we get water in the fuel all the time.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA

Very true. You won't typically find a place to dispose of fuel at the fuel dock itself. Most marinas do have a dedicated spot to leave waste fuel, but you have to ask where it is.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Has anyone developed a clever way to get the diesel from the diesel jugs into the diesel tank , while bouncing around in the sea ?

:worship:
I found ad in catalog that shows a swing spot at the bottom of a five gallon diesel can. Bought it. Lower the spout in fuel filler
intake squeeze gadget top of can and hold down works very well. Fairly long spout.