Marina etiquette

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
John, my father was a Golden Gloves boxer in the navy. Between the Korean conflict and the Vietnam war. Air crewman aboard AJ Savage bomber (2 turning and 1 burning).

And just too make my philosophy of marina etiquette clear. I would welcome anyone to come aboard my boat to stop any annoying and inconsiderate halyard slap or the like w, but I would never do that myself. I'm with Jackdaw, only emergencies to save life, limb or expensive property would I consider trespassing onto someone else's boat. I would open a car door to roll a window up in the rain or even shut off some head lights. I would not feel free to do something like that just for my benefit.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Will, I think you are like an onion. The more layers you peel off the more there are underneath. But I think you are a good spirit. Good on yer.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i have only 2 horrible - marina -guest stories: 1) boat lets their 4 rude teenage girls take over the entire 4 stall women's shower, girls then proceed to take a leisurely 1/2 hour doing god knows what while regular marina tenants get progressively angrier outside. (someone in the know turned off the water on them.) #2 ) visiting boat came in to marina where each shower has its own little room with hair drier, a shower and toilet , then proceeded to set up their coffee pot to perk and thus monopolized the shower. guests their boat didn't have cooking facilities...

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Thank you everyone,

I never would have thought of the halyards. Count me among those who consider it soothing.

But I will be a good neighbor and silence my slapping.

John

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Thank you everyone,

I never would have thought of the halyards. Count me among those who consider it soothing.

But I will be a good neighbor and silence my slapping.

John
For now hahahaha
If only all the halyards could coordinte and slap in unison to make a song together...but alas they have horrible rhythm

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
As far as speaking to others, I’ve found that some folks at marinas are friendlier than others. I *always* speak after making eye contact and almost always speak even when passing by. Others seem to never speak and hate to be spoken to at all. I’ve seen foot mats that say “Boat shoes only,” Ours says “Welcome Aboard Palmetto Moon.” I like to think our etiquette is preferable to theirs.

What’s in your wallet?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I *always* speak after making eye contact and almost always speak even when passing by. Others seem to never speak and hate to be spoken to at all.
As an interesting aside; My family are avid, if slow, hikers. Here in the NE, the trails are well traveled and passing other hikers is expected. Everyone almost always says "Hi" and smiles as they pass. the few who don't are usually in conversation with a buddy or jogging to get in a workout and can't afford the breath. My son and friends went to Iceland and hike a few trails and camped out there. He noted that when a group of Europeans passed, they remained silent and only glanced up when greeted with an American "Hello", but otherwise, remained silent. When another American group passed, they always acknowledged each other. I don't know if it was a language thing or a common cultural difference. I have not experienced it myself. We have encountered a few foreigners on the trails up here and they do seem to be more introspective than our fellow countrymen. I like to think that knowing I may have trouble with the language won't keep me from making some sort of friendly overture to a fellow hiker, but it probably would make a difference.
I am a 'WELCOME' mat kind of guy too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Don't swim in freshwater marinas - it is dangerous and therefore a breach of etiquette, as the swimmer is putting all nearby people in the position of having to be ready for the possibility of coming to the rescue (or retrieval) of an electrocution victim.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Will, it is a European thing. My daughters French boy friend is always amazed at how friendly American strangers are to each other even in stores and restaurants. Of course in marinas where people share a common bond he gets totally amazed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Don't swim in freshwater marinas - it is dangerous and therefore a breach of etiquette, as the swimmer is putting all nearby people in the position of having to be ready for the possibility of coming to the rescue (or retrieval) of an electrocution victim.
?
Isn't there more danger of electrocution in SALTwater?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've had the pleasure of spending the night at Sutton's Bay, and it's a really nice small harbor town. The town earns its living entirely from tourism in the summer months, so they are more than welcoming. If you've never spent a night aboard, this is a great place to start. My only complaint is that the marina is laid out in a straight line extending into the harbor, so the hike from boat to bathroom at 2 am, or to the marina gate to go to town, is long and uphill. Marina etiquette is so basic and laid back as to not need explaining - just follow the golden rule. If you don't want to be annoyed while enjoying your vacation by loud music, noisy neighbors, or drunk & disorderly, then your neighbors-for-the-week probably won't like it either.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
?

- Will (Dragonfly)
Actually, it's the opposite because of the relative conductivity of salt and fresh water. Humans are basically bags of seawater walking around -- it always makes me smile that I carry the ocean with me. :) Anyhow, salt water is much more conductive, and electricity seeks the shortest path to ground. If you swim in salt water and there is an electric current, it may pass to ground around you. But if you are in fresh water, you are like a copper wire compared to the fresh water so it definitely is going through you.
Here are a couple good links to Electric Shock Drowning:
http://www.electricshockdrowning.org/ or http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ESD.asp

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
?

- Will (Dragonfly)
No. While salt water has less electrical resistance, that fact means that the current would rather go AROUND you than THROUGH you.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
would rather go AROUND you than THROUGH you.
This is very true, same for lightning strike nearby [ over 100' ].
But...
The minute you "ground" yourself, an electric current can pass through you from water to ground.
So...
Wear rubber soled shoes or use wooden ladders to exit water, if you fall in the marina.
Jim...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Fresh water is where you have the risk but the reason is a little more complicated.

In order for a swimmer to have a problem, there must be a voltage potential across your body. NO voltage potential, no current, no shock.

In salt water, even through the current for the same situation as fresh water would be much higher, the higher conductivity also drops the electric field (or voltage potentials) much faster than in fresh water. Electric field from a point source in water drops off with the cube of distance and is inversely proportional to the conductivity. Salt water is in the range of 1000 times more conductive than fresh water.

The much lower conductivity of fresh water allows the electric field or voltage potentials to extend out a much larger distance than in salt water.

So the danger comes from fresh water because the electric fields can extend out a much larger distance from the source than in salt water.. The dangerous distance for electric shock drowning in salt water might be 1000 times smaller than fresh water (assuming the difference in conductivity is 1000 times different).

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Fresh water is where you have the risk but the reason is a little more complicated.

In order for a swimmer to have a problem, there must be a voltage potential across your body. NO voltage potential, no current, no shock.

In salt water, even through the current for the same situation as fresh water would be much higher, the higher conductivity also drops the electric field (or voltage potentials) much faster than in fresh water. Electric field from a point source in water drops off with the cube of distance and is inversely proportional to the conductivity. Salt water is in the range of 1000 times more conductive than fresh water.

The much lower conductivity of fresh water allows the electric field or voltage potentials to extend out a much larger distance than in salt water.

So the danger comes from fresh water because the electric fields can extend out a much larger distance from the source than in salt water.. The dangerous distance for electric shock drowning in salt water might be 1000 times smaller than fresh water (assuming the difference in conductivity is 1000 times different).
Y’all actually understand all this? Sometimes just trusting what someone says is ok. (I’ve read every explanation given. None of it makes sense to me.)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Y’all actually understand all this
Maybe LOL.. The bottom line is to stay out of the water at a fresh water marina.. Or make it simple, stay out of the water at any marina. Interesting about the dangerous potentials falling off with the cube of distance (ie, distance to the power of three). As the swimmer approaches the dangerous location, they may not even know anything is wrong. But then when they get close, a short distance can result in the voltage potential increasing very rapidly. The danger probably goes from very little to deadly in a short distance.

FYI, my fresh water marina has GFCI on every single AC outlet and as long as these function, risk goes way down.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I've had the pleasure of spending the night at Sutton's Bay, and it's a really nice small harbor town.
Thanks -

Actually I've been to Sutton's Bay many times myself, love it up there! And we have sailed on Traverse Bay. We've just never stayed overnight.

We decided on this marina because it's smaller and seems more laid back than some of the others on Grand Traverse Bay. And actually I thought the proximity to the town was a selling point - the marina in Elk Rapids might be closer to the shopping center, but I don't think so.

The long walk to the bathroom IS a consideration - especially in our little boat. I think the porta-potty is just a conversation piece - can't imagine myself using it unless it's a real emergency.

Like let's say it's a long walk to the bathroom - and there are thunderstorms.