Furling line cleat

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
...now having the line run across the entrance to the cockpit....
Up here in the Northeast (or at least the NYC/NJ area), typically the yacht club launches will only pull up on the Starboard side, so the only time that line is ever a problem for me is at the fuel dock if I pull up with the Port side to the dock.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
There is more years of sailing experience here than I'll ever have but I have to ask.
Isn't a horn cleat much more secure than a cam cleat for securing your reefed headsail?
Furling lines do not require the benefits of a cam cleat. You don't need the cam cleat's ease of adjustment or release to unfurl, furl to reef, then furl to stow the jib.
Why not use a horn cleat to ensure the furling line does not release in a blow?
That was what I was taught when I started out and makes sense to me.
Ward, the block and cam cleat provide an easier way to manage the furling line when sailing short handed, at least on the C310.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have a cam cleat on the stanchion as shown in the previous picture. It is secured to the base of the stanchion, but held above the deck with a bungee. The sole purpose of the bungee is to prevent the cam cleat from whacking in the gel coat on the deck. The line is then led to a horn cleat on the port side of the cockpit. The cam cleat is useful in furling the head sail when single handing. It keeps it from unfurling when going for a better grip. The furling line is secured on the horn cleat. It is also secured on the horn cleat when reefed. Don't leave home without it.
I board on the port side of the boat due to the dock set up. The furling line has never been an issue, because it is very close to the cockpit coaming when one boards and steps into the cockpit.

Nov 16, 2012
I have a cam cleat on the stanchion as shown in the previous picture. It is secured to the base of the stanchion, but held above the deck with a bungee. The sole purpose of the bungee is to prevent the cam cleat from whacking in the gel coat on the deck. The line is then led to a horn cleat on the port side of the cockpit. The cam cleat is useful in furling the head sail when single handing. It keeps it from unfurling when going for a better grip. The furling line is secured on the horn cleat. It is also secured on the horn cleat when reefed. Don't leave home without it.
I board on the port side of the boat due to the dock set up. The furling line has never been an issue, because it is very close to the cockpit coaming when one boards and steps into the cockpit.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. We also board on the port side. Sounds like a nice upgrade.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Isn't a horn cleat much more secure than a cam cleat for securing your reefed headsail?"
When the sail is furled up the cam cleat is more than adequate to hold the furler secure. We can have some nasty storms on the Potomac and it has never been a problem. Plus in brisk wind when furling it is really handy to have the cam cleat in case you need to take a break in mid furl. I took the cleat that came from the factory out so it would be one less thing in the way.

One other thing I did (this will depend on your stern pulpit[?]) was remove the fixtures that held the front straps on the bimini down to the deck and moved them onto where the safety lines attach. One less thing to trip on.

Nov 16, 2012
Picture of cam cleat and horn cleat for furling line on port side of my C-310
That's attached on the gate, rather than the pulpit. A little farther from the wheel, but still convenient. I think I'll get the hardware, try it in both places, and see which we prefer. Thanks!!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
There is more years of sailing experience here than I'll ever have but I have to ask.
Isn't a horn cleat much more secure than a cam cleat for securing your reefed headsail?
Furling lines do not require the benefits of a cam cleat. You don't need the cam cleat's ease of adjustment or release to unfurl, furl to reef, then furl to stow the jib.
Why not use a horn cleat to ensure the furling line does not release in a blow?
That was what I was taught when I started out and makes sense to me.
The C310 is normally rigged with a horn cleat for the furling line. The issue as presented in this thread, I believe, is that the helmsperson must leave the helm to manage the standard furling setup. As noted in these posts, it is difficult, if not impossible, to rig the furling line so that it doesn't pass across the boarding gate on the port side. It is a safety issue, and I instruct my crew and guests to always step ON the furling line, and not OVER it. This, I believe, is less of a tripping hazard, since a person's foot is less likely to get caught on the line.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@ward your sailing wisdom is solid.

On a day Sailing dinghy/racing boat if used cam cleats for the ease of change among the many sailing configurations needed in the race.

Cruising, even short handed sail changes are less frequent. In go for the security of a lock tied no furler release unless I act upon it cleat.

But this is sailing. Different boat owners will rig their boat the way they want. That’s the beauty of this boating world. No one answers.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ward, the block and cam cleat provide an easier way to manage the furling line when sailing short handed, at least on the C310.
Rob, I'll probably understand better when I start sailing my C30. The C30 should be similar to your C310. I keep this idea on my list in case I want to do the same but would probably leave the horn cleat for when leaving the boat several days.
On my O'day 25 everything is within easy reach but the line does run to a ratchet block on
the rear pulpit and back forward to the horn cleat. That gives me a fairlead from center cockpit.

On my O'day's Furlex set up, the line exits the drum on the port side but I can switch which side to run the line aft by adjusting outer line guide.
Can you switch which side the line runs aft on?

The few times we do side dock on the same side as the furling line, I relax it so it droops down below the combing during boarding. Then I re cleat it before leaving the dock.

I confess when I moved to a new slip with starboard side entry mid last season, I didn't move the line. Planned to this spring but I did the next best thing. Bought a boat with the furling line already run on the port side. :)

Different boat owners will rig their boat the way they want. That’s the beauty of this boating world.
That and sharing those ideas with others.
As @Stu Jackson likes to say "Your boat, Your Choice"

Nov 16, 2012
I confess when I moved to a new slip with starboard side entry mid last season, I didn't move the line. Planned to this spring but I did the next best thing. Bought a boat with the furling line already run on the port side. :)
I like that solution!!! ;)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Can you switch which side the line runs aft on?
You should be able to. Most furlers don't care. You may need to turn the fuller's drum accordingly. And of course, move the blocks on the stantions. I am afraid, though, that there is only one horn cleat (on the port side). So either, you will have to rig a cam cleat attached to the pushpit or install a horn cleat on the coaming.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward... Most furlers have a specific entry point for the line. Even though the furler drum has multiple openings, if the line is led through the wrong one the line can ride over the opening and bind between the frame and the furler drum...
Here is an example of the Harken MKIV Unit 1 drum.
4417.jpg
Harken let gives you two captured sides to have the line enter.