Furling line cleat

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
There's an old (closed) post here about adding a furling line cleat to the stern pulpit:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/furling-line-cleat.132022/

I'm thinking of doing that and was wondering if any one who has done it has problems with the furling line getting in the way when climbing in and out of the cockpit? Can you leave the line slack enough so it drops down out of the way?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@marchem ,

Good afternoon! This is a really interesting issue, because I don't think I've ever sailed a boat bigger than 30 feet that had the furling line already lead over the cabin-top near the companionway and into the cockpit. Granted, it is typically a good couple steps away from the helm; where is your line run originally? If it runs down a certain side of the deck (port or stbd.), then you'll want to rig it on the side where you and your passengers do not typically board. You could install pulleys/fairleads along the sides just above the gunwale and have a pivoting shackle at the end so you can access the line from the cockpit, but that's a lot of time and money to install. If your line is one of those over-the-cabin-top rigs, then you'd have to somehow run it to either side of the cockpit through a system of fairleads. The picture I'm seeing in the link you shared, however, looks like the rig that leads from the port side. I think it really comes down to what side you and your crew board, and whether or not it'll be a hassle for crew or guests. I hope this helps!
God Bless,
S.S.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
It’s a different boat but here is my set up.

upload_2018-4-27_15-55-6.jpeg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
No sir. It’s not tight when the sail is furled so getting off and on is no problem. It runs along fair leads outside the stancions. Sorry my picture wasn’t better I was at an airport. Normally I would edit it with labels.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I added the CAM cleat like you posted and had some issues. Sailing in high wind caused the line to get forced down into the cam. It made it really hard to furl in the sail. I might try it again.

Nov 16, 2012
I added the CAM cleat like you posted and had some issues. Sailing in high wind caused the line to get forced down into the cam. It made it really hard to furl in the sail. I might try it again.
Jesse, when furling the jib aren't you pulling on the line, maybe even using the winch? Seems like a cam cleat would still release. Or did you mean clam cleat? I could see that jamming tight.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am a bit confused... What's new.
When the sail is furled, the line will have been pulled out to wind the sail up. If the line is left loose, the sail can unwind.
Assuming this is the standard case, then the line that is run through fair-leads along the stanchions from the cockpit to the fore-deck will be up in the air taut. Trying to go over the side of the boat (getting on or off) the lines may be a tripping hazard if you shuffle and do not raise your feet. Lines on deck is just one of the many boat centric issues when the boat is powered by sail. If the sail is being flown then the furling line will be wrapped around the furler drum. Then the line may be floppy and on the side deck where you can step on it and role your ankle.

At least that's how I see it work on my boat.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
We got some good advice and added this cam cleat as in the attached. Used to be secured with an elastic line to the lifeline but we recently changed to a large zip tie which works better and will last longer. The hardware was expensive but worth it. If you want a better picture in daylight just let me know.
bob

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
It must be gentle winds and comforting breezes down in GA, @Cat 310 #1 in GA .

Trusting a furler to a zip tie, in 30 plus knots of wind will bring tears to your eyes up here
in the Pacific NW as you stroll down the dock to your boat...
8309C017-0422-420F-81E1-7D34B0D6B145.jpeg

A12129D3-6191-49DD-AB4D-8628216F06FB.jpeg

I always check the cleated line for the furler before leaving the boat. It is as critical as checking the dock lines and securing the halyards so they do not ring on the mast.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
The cleat will still function without the zip tie as it is attached to the stanchion base with a shackle. Zip tie just holds it upright making it easier to operate...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, when furling the jib aren't you pulling on the line, maybe even using the winch? Seems like a cam cleat would still release. Or did you mean clam cleat? I could see that jamming tight.
Can cleat. When big winds pull on the sail it pulls that furling line so deep into the cam it's very hard to release.

And you shouldn't furl the headsail on a winch. It can cause damage.

Nov 16, 2012
Can cleat. When big winds pull on the sail it pulls that furling line so deep into the cam it's very hard to release.

And you shouldn't furl the headsail on a winch. It can cause damage.
That must only happen when partially furled, I think? If the jib is unrolled all the way there shouldn't be any load on the furling line.

Nov 16, 2012
I am a bit confused... What's new.
When the sail is furled, the line will have been pulled out to wind the sail up. If the line is left loose, the sail can unwind.
Assuming this is the standard case, then the line that is run through fair-leads along the stanchions from the cockpit to the fore-deck will be up in the air taut. Trying to go over the side of the boat (getting on or off) the lines may be a tripping hazard if you shuffle and do not raise your feet. Lines on deck is just one of the many boat centric issues when the boat is powered by sail. If the sail is being flown then the furling line will be wrapped around the furler drum. Then the line may be floppy and on the side deck where you can step on it and role your ankle.

At least that's how I see it work on my boat.
I understand that there are going to be lines here and there on the boat. :biggrin: My question was whether the advantage of moving the last fairlead/block from the gate to the stern pulpit on the C310 (much easier to reach when short handed sailing) was outweighed by now having the line run across the entrance to the cockpit. It may be possible to lead the line low enough that it's not an issue, but I'm sure some of the C310 folks have tried it out.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Sigh! Allow me to school you all. You are over thinking this. What you want is a Garhauer Stanchion Blocks SB-25C - Stainless Steel Blocks, length: 3-1/2, width: 2-5/8, weight: 11 oz shackle: sheave diameter: 1-3/4, 25 series block with swivels 360 degrees. Comes with cam cleat, $65.00

Go to https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=57 and click on the Stanchion Block link.

Love it as it is simple and effective and at least works in winds up to 35 kts. You are welcome PaulJ!!! :stir:

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
@marchem I run my furling line to a cleat that is half way back on my cockpit combing. Ease of reaching it is important for solo sailing. My gates are further forward than yours. The line runs about 4 inches above the deck at the gate. When boarding I need to step over the line. Boarding is always an evolution that needs care.
I prefer a Starboard tie when at dock. The fueling line is on the port side. So most of the time it is a non issue.
I’ll take a picture in the AM.
You want the lines to be free and no drag. You do not want to be winching the furling line in unless your in an extreme breeze. More often than not if you have won resort to the winch you have issues with the furler bearings or have a hang up on the drum. Better to inspect the rig then to winch the line in.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
There is more years of sailing experience here than I'll ever have but I have to ask.
Isn't a horn cleat much more secure than a cam cleat for securing your reefed headsail?
Furling lines do not require the benefits of a cam cleat. You don't need the cam cleat's ease of adjustment or release to unfurl, furl to reef, then furl to stow the jib.
Why not use a horn cleat to ensure the furling line does not release in a blow?
That was what I was taught when I started out and makes sense to me.