Mystery wire/cable from mast??

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
I was cleaning my bilge yesterday prior to installing new bilge pump. The wire/cable in the attached pics went through the bilge aft towards the engine. The other cable just like it was cut off at the aft end of bilge. So I pulled the one in question out of the bilge (yea - I should have stopped pulling when I found it had some length, but it was late!). I'd say it is long enough to get aft of the engine (yea - I know - I should have measured it!). Any clue what it is and where it should be connected? The markings on the cover are pretty generic - manufacturer, size, etc. - nothing to give a hint as to its purpose. So, any ideas on where it should be terminated? Is it a grounding cable?

Also, I've not noticed the hose entering the bilge in the past. I've been around in the hull under the v-berth and hanging locker/drawers. Have not seen an origination for this hose in those spaces. It is not the floor drain from the head (which is the one in the bottom of the pic by the keel bolts).
InkedIMG_3455_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_3534_LI.jpg

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
A ring terminal with a 3/16" hole normally goes on a #10 stud.
Since it is on a boat, the crimp joint should have marine grade shrink tube on it.

If the wire itself is bare copper, rather than the tinned variety that is required by ABYC, & the rest of the OEM wiring is tinned, then I would be suspect that possibly it had been added by a previous owner.

Perhaps it is a ground that was removed because it was causing some sort of problem?

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
re: hose do you have an anchor chain locker in the bow? The hose could be draining that area. Or it was part of the shower's gray water system... which typically is pumped over board from the bilge/

Nov 15, 2014
re: hose do you have an anchor chain locker in the bow? The hose could be draining that area. Or it was part of the shower's gray water system... which typically is pumped over board from the bilge/
Our anchor locker has its own drain out the side of the hull. I’ll have to look under the v-berth again some time - maybe I just didn’t see it. It for sure isn’t the shower drain. Thanks for the feedback!

Nov 15, 2014
On wires use a fox and hound (tone) to find the other end

Les
Hi Les - I haven’t heard that term (fox and hound) before. Would explain a little more? Unless you’re talking about using a multi-meter to check continuity. Thx!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Hi Les - I haven’t heard that term (fox and hound) before. Would explain a little more? Unless you’re talking about using a multi-meter to check continuity. Thx!
it allows you to trace wires with access to only one end (you need both ends for a multi meter). It puts a "tone" on the wire, that is audible using a special probe. I've had several over the years, best one was a ATT hand me down. The next best was a Klien - I just bought a $20 Amazon chinese special - it is not as good. I could trace wires in my attic just holding the probe ~1' from the ceiling -- probably 60' from the tone. I wired phones in big houses with home runs - put a couple of different tones in two rooms - then go to the wire closet and you can pick out the right pair for punchdown by the various tones. Saves steps and time.

search amazon using terms "wire tone tracer" searching "fox hound wire" will bring up more expensive (better??) ones.

Nov 15, 2014
Gotcha - it’s either the same or similar to connecting a charge to a tracer wire for an underground pipe and using a “wand” to follow the signal to locate the pipe on the ground surface. Thx!

Nov 15, 2014
Could it be the mast ground to keel?
I’m thinking along those lines, but not sure where it is supposed to terminate. Probably should send the pics/info to Catalina. They’ve been good about answering questions in the past. Thx!

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
On our boat, the mast wire is connected directly to a keel bolt with a #6 cable and the chainplates, fuel tank, fuel filler connect together and then to the keel bolt with #8.