South African "Catalina" 22

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Extra dinghy update:
So I managed to complete the entire cockpit floor and side walls stripping of all old varnish as best as could be done on 40 something year old wooden boat! After cleaning out all the joints and cracks that I could get to it was time to mix up some fillet "peanut butter" mix. I learned a trick to easily applying the epoxy fillet material from a YouTube channel I have being following: (Sail Life). Place the mix into a freezer bag, cut off a small corner and gently squeeze while moving along the corner where you want the stuff to go... easy peazy lemon squeazy!

Prior to applying the fillet material I thoroughly wet out the area with straight laminating epoxy applied liberally with a small brush. This to ensure that the entire crack/fillet corner is saturated. After that its apply the woven fabric tape, wet it out and smooth it out.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Extra dinghy update:

I have tried to re-purpose as much of the old sturdy wood as possible. This is because is is really nice solid Teak wood with a 40 year vintage. So mostly just sanded off the old varnish. The front cross member used to be at the aft end of the center board casing as a cross member. I decided to add a wider piece of wood to double up as a seat. Locally available Meranti wood used for new pieces.

In a previous photo you can see I have routed out a slot in front of the centerboard casing to make a lap joint between the cross member and the center board casing. it is purely there to provide sideways support to the casing. I also routed out a slot in the cross member piece underside so as to fit level with the rest of the top of the center board casing. Added cleats at the cockpit side walls for structural support.

Really looks good and I am pleased with results!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Extra dinghy update:

It was then time for sanding everything and everywhere possible! I started with the cockpit floor, then the walls and two days later finally finished off sanding the side decks and trim edges! My concern was some cracks and not so good eareas where wood rot had set in. So I sanded as best as it would be allowed to still have wood left... so then it was time to clean and varnish.

I used a thinned down epoxy resin to seal the wood with inside the cockpit floor and side walls. This to soak into all the corners, crevices, cracks and try add strength to the surfaces in general. I also added new floor support pieces in the form of half round "stringers" laid as original design. This makes the floor much more solid feeling with less flex when standing in the boat.

My eldest Grandson is crazy about "Transformers" and as the boat is yellow I decided to call it "Bumblebee". So to add the details I then decided to stain the cockpit side trims and deck side trims a dark Imbuia wood colour. Then it was time to paint the decks and side trims as per the cockpit floor and walls.

Yesterday I sanded the decks and side trims and added a second coat of un-thinned epoxy resin. This is the boat at it's current status... today!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Extra dinghy update:

Ok, so I spent an inordinate amount of time sanding down all the internal cockpit surfaces, floors, sides, casing, seat and cross support member tops and bottoms, transom inside and bulkhead face! Seemed like days worth of sanding = you know the 90% rule. 90% done, 90% to still to be done!

Anyways I'm now at the stage where in South Africa we use the phrase "Gatvol"... pronounced with a deep throaty gargling noise = "gghhhhh-uht-foll! It means: I'm fed-up of this now and I'm calling it done...

So, all that's left to do is the trim piece on the transom top edge and refit all the hardware. My little helper and crew member who helped me in the painting stages - was not keen at all on the sanding side of the job! - is in the photo where he's pretending the boat now weighs a ton with all the added epoxy varnish etc! Funny guy.... topside and cockpit and hull is done!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Hi Guys... well it has been rather some time since I posted to this particular thread! This will be the last "Extra dinghy update" you will see as the boat has been completed and splashed. Unfortunately I did lose a lot of the reconstruction photos of the final steps to completion, fitting out and launching.

I did however remember to stick my GoPro to the foredeck and start rolling the video recording before we set out!

Here it is and hope you enjoy the results of my fruitful labour!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Hi Guys... well it has been rather some time since I posted to this particular thread! This will be the last "Extra dinghy update" you will see as the boat has been completed and splashed. Unfortunately I did lose a lot of the reconstruction photos of the final steps to completion, fitting out and launching.

I did however remember to stick my GoPro to the foredeck and start rolling the video recording before we set out!

Here it is and hope you enjoy the results of my fruitful labour!

looks like you had a lot of fun.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Jaguar / Catalina 22 update!!!

Yep, I have actually resumed work on the "Titanic" sized trailer-sailer! Refer my previous post...

So the epoxy layer that I put on as the sacrificial layer has done its work. Protecting the new layup from the UV rays. I rolled on a layer of epoxy with the knowledge that someday I will have to spend hours sanding it all off. Actually it had degraded to the point that it was easier than sanding balsa wood with an angle grinder! See the photos.

Then I applied the epoxy/filler fairing compound as before, waited a week for it to harden to being sand-able, it is Winter now where our day air temps rarely go above 20 degrees Celsius. So the epoxy took forever to harden. I'm only trying to lessen voids and fill in "dents" and of course the waterline area where the double coating of gel coat was the had to be removed due to osmosis bubbles.

So at this point I still have a good few hours of longboard sanding to do then its primer... yeah baby!

Of course I have not been idle in the two weeks or more that have gone by... see the next post!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
It was final end-of-season sailing at the dinghy yacht club - Zandvlei, Imperial Yacht Club. My little crew member and I entered our first club racing event! Due to bad weather previous races were cancelled in the year so to make up for lost races the day was broken into four short course races instead of the traditional morning and afternoon long races.

This is just raw footage downloaded from my GoPro which was mounted on the rear side deck of the Extra dinghy. I have not had time to edit but at same time don't really want to!

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Very cool! My daughter and I made it out this Saturday and they had a big group of racing dinghies and a few keel boats. We aren't there yet and just had fun doing our thing but still sailed up and around them to watch for awhile.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Very cool! My daughter and I made it out this Saturday and they had a big group of racing dinghies and a few keel boats. We aren't there yet and just had fun doing our thing but still sailed up and around them to watch for awhile.
Thanks the comment. Dinghy sailing started out like that for us and stooging around on the lake is what we enjoy but the challenge of race participation does give one a bit of direction and cause. Hoping to get the boy more involved with the youth development program in the next season.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So it has come time to check out primer coatings and top coatings for the hull. Local suppliers seem to favour International brand and I have been recommended to use the International Perfection range of two-part polyurethane coatings.

So thinking ahead now my plan will be keeping it simple = white colour. So white Perfection Undercoat followed up with Mediterranean White top coat. Weather permitting the hull should be painted by the end of June... this year! It is wet and cold now here by me ... it's Winter time in the southern hemisphere.

The boat will definitely be dry sailed so no need for anti-fouling paint. Once I get the boat into the water on a calm day I can actually trace the waterline marking all around the boat to get a boot line stripe to add a bit of contrast or paint the bottom a contrasting colour.

But the deck still awaits the full monty treatment as well!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
@Hardhead thanks the comments. Much appreciated.

So the final quote for the painting of the hull from deck level down to the bottom center line has come in at around USD505.00 for materials only. Not sure how that adds up in the actual US but here it is considered very expensive!

I just gotta bite the bullet, dobs up the dough and get on with the job. Buying the paint stuff this coming Saturday!

Attachments

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
My '90 C-22 had very light grey gelcoat for a below the waterline color. Looked sharp.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Thats back when you could select your boot and shear stripe colors. Burgundy.
I had to paint the bottom though. :(

greg_m

May 23, 2017
My '90 C-22 had very light grey gelcoat for a below the waterline color. Looked sharp.
I'm planning on painting the deck grey non-slip with the white smooth areas/accents.

So for some reason I have been considering using red/maroon clour for the bottom water line area... but for now its all white!