84 Hunter 27, Seemingly designed to Catch Crab Pots. And the FIX!

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
And....?
He doesn't make money on traps. He earns his living on what this guy stole.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
And....?
He doesn't make money on traps. He earns his living on what this guy stole.
The professional could certainly lose money by losing a trap.

But maybe your admonishment hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So you decided to poach and steal a professional's catch which he makes his living on? Do you have any idea how hard they work. Up at 3am working 6 days a week.
Good one!
The incident was 42 years ago, I was 13 or 14. We had no idea when we caught the trap and, as far as I know, it was the only time Sunflower ever picked up a trap. The next Summer, we sailed all over Down East and narry a lobster pot.
I'm with you on the terrible mistake, however, there was no way of knowing when or where we picked the trap up. My father had been wondering about our headway for almost an hour before he looked over the stern and saw the line.
He made his living as a fisherman so he was pretty sensitive to your point. Any suggestions about returning the trap? I'm open to ideas.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I have no good suggestions. Just a complaint. Happy to hear your attitude. I live on the water and these guys sure do work hard.
This is a zombie thread. Probably should not have posted. Fair winds and following seas to you.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mmmm, zombies.
URRRMMM BRRRRAINS! : d

Happy to hear your attitude. I live on the water and these guys sure do work hard.
I catch and raise crawfish in the Summer and have lost several traps. When you get to your spot where the trap was tied to a tree and all you find is your name/address plaqard discarded in the cattails, it does tend to enrage.

No problems, we confine our catch to private ponds. Luckily, we have the friends and family to do that with.

Good sailing to you too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
UPDATE- it's been 2 seasons now, and in spite of aiming for and trying to snag as many crab pots as I could (not really, I just let the auto pilot drive the boat), I haven't had another snag since putting this diverter gizmo on my rudder. I'm calling it an unequivocal success!
I'd like to pat myself on the back but this is really just a different application of the dolphin strikers on bowsprits of older, bigger boats than mine.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Around here in Quincy, MA, we have lobster pots to aggravate us. However, over the last 10 years or so the quantity has been diminishing. Now the only lobster pot floats we see are Clorox bottles and the like. I think most "professional lobstermen" have quit trying. Apparently lobsters have moved North seeking colder water. Good riddance lobsters and lobster men!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
To the OP: why do you run them over??? Just set the AP and let it go? Here in New England, with tons of lobster trap buoys, we actively avoid them. Prudent sailors do.

I saw a sailboat sink off of Hens and Chickens shoal by Westport because he snagged a trap with his rudder, lost his ability to steer the boat, and pounded his keel on the cement barge wreck 'til the hull split open.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On the Chesapeake the crab pots are over rated. Just sit on the boat bow with a pole net and dip the critters out of the water into a bucket. A pot of hot water, some Old Bay seasoning, the crabs and a cooler of beers... PARTY.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On the Chesapeake the crab pots are over rated. Just sit on the boat bow with a pole net and dip the critters out of the water into a bucket. A pot of hot water, some Old Bay seasoning, the crabs and a cooler of beers... PARTY.
Not this year. Just had lunch with a friend from the Magothy River. No crabs, says he, after some years of great success from his dock. But he's catching perch galor .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perch... caught those and Sunspot as bait fish for Flounder.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Just an update on how this worked out. After a few weeks of not snagging any crab pots, I got cocky and tried to run over as many as I could on every outing. In spite of my fiendish dedication to snagging one I could not. I just sold Slapshot last weekend, so I hope my next boat doesn't have the same problem.