should I take a Hunter 170?

Apr 19, 2018
Hunter 17 Holland, MI
I've been offered a Hunter 170 - for free - by a reliable source, a good friend in his 70s no longer wants to sail. He explained the cracking issue but that there are no leaks, it's sailworthy. He will include the trailer, sails and rigging are good. I'm new to sailing, live 1 mile from Lake Macatawa in Holland, Mi which connects to Lake MI, but I'd just drop in and sail Lake Mac. Should I take it?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'm not familiar with this boat or the "cracking" issue but it don't leak, is sailable, has a trailer, you live 1 mile from water, and it's almost summer.
Why not ? My first sailboat leaked.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
FREE!?!:yikes:
I don't know this boat, but nice:clap:
Should I take it?
:laugh::pray:o_O:eek::hook2::shhh::stupid:
Is that a serious question?
>OF COURSE YOU SHOULD TAKE IT!<
:thumbup:

That is, unless your worried that it will be in the way just in case someone offers to give you one of these

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Free boat , heck yea. Its lightwight so easy to tow. Very tender. You may or may not have a weighted centerboard.

That lake is comparable to lake manatee fl and some sections of the manatee river.

You be amazed how quickly you go from one side to another. Will there be alot of power boats going to the big water and back?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oh, BTW.
Welcome to sailboatowners forum.
I got distracted and forgot you were new here.
You are in for a treat now that you're part of the best fleet of sailors on the seven Internet seas.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Small boats make the sailor”. Peter Montgomery

I’ll never understand why first time sailors insist on 30+ ft boats.

But thats just me.......

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I don't know this boat, but nice
Will that video, note the people are standing by the power boat and the sailboat is off to the side alone by the rocks. Hilarious. That looked like an entirely safe sailboat adventure. Note sure what was dragging that guy down. I've sailed on glass mill ponds back to the pontoons faster than that.

Apr 19, 2018
Hunter 17 Holland, MI
Thanks Bobby (my wife and I were just in Sarasota, sweet area!).
I sailed on Lake Mac last summer with my nephew on his Hobbie 16 and depending on the day it's not too crazy (although at 56, I'm crazy getting on a Hobie). Definitely large craft, a few huge yachts cruising out to the Big Lake, but with sailing schools, youth regattas etc, everyone is respectful. And once I reasonable master the thing, I'll look for one of those perfect days - decent winds, 1 ft waves, sunny and 80 deg to zip it through the channel and get out on the 8th wonder of the world, Lake Mich :)
sail lake MI.jpg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Welcome. Great boat to learn on. The BSA Seabase in the Fl. Keys has a fleet of them. Never had a chance to take one out but they look like they are a blast to sail. In fact, if I had one, I would most likely sail that more than my 30 footer. Go for it.

Apr 19, 2018
Hunter 17 Holland, MI
@Scott C
Take photos of cracks and post. Then I will respond
Thanks CD. I'll do my best to get photos and any other info about the cracks from current owner. He did tell me there are 2 cracks and are not leaking, but I'm sure that can mean a lot of different things until you see it....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was a dealer who introduced the boat and only dealer asked about the design but now retired. There are others whose help is also valuable too that know the boat and will assist as well but first the photos of the cracks

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The simple answer is yes, take it. I have one & I am happy that I bought it. If someone offered me another, I would be happy to have two.

The boat has little weight. The sail to displacement ratio is like 35:1, so she is a bit overpowered. This makes her go with just a slight breeze. It also means that you are going to want to reef sooner than you would on most other boats. With the main sail reefed, she is easier to handle in a medium breeze. With the main reefed & the jib furled, you can actually take her out in heavier air. She points pretty well, but she is less impressive going downwind do to the way that the stay geometry limits the sweep of the mainsail.

I am currently sailing mine with some cracks showing on the top side, but no water leaking into the inside of the boat. When I get around to it, I will do the proper repairs. I just haven't had the time. When I got mine, the motor mount was just about falling off. I glassed that back in with good results, so I am confident in the integrity of my repair methods. A two part description of my motor mount repair is documented here - https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=model&mid=11&mn=170

I just had mine out yesterday. I had it pretty far out in the ocean. I managed to come in with a tuna on ice. If I had to keep just one of my boats, this is probably the one that I would keep. It's a fun little boat.

Apr 19, 2018
Hunter 17 Holland, MI
Contrary to what is said the cracks do need to be addressed to prevent further cracking which is why the request for photos
Right on. I emailed the owner for photos and I'll post ASAP, but the boat is up north at his cottage so it might day a few days before he goes up (we actually had snow on the ground last week) !