2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
16 days before we start this years cruise. Jobs are almost done, just a little hull liner to put up. Sure hope it warms up and the rain stops soon!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Michael, where off to this year? Just returned from a spring cruise around the islands that included many hours of sail time. Last couple of days were in gale force winds. Otherwise, quite nice.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Just going to take our time going up the mainland side of the straights. Visit some places we haven't been for a number of years. ( Indian Arm, Princess Louisa etc.) Just up as far as Bella Bella and then do the west coast of Vancouver Island again. Bevs already arranged for a house (cat) sitter so we should be good til the end of Sept.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hey there Michael. How you doing? Sounds like you are planning a summer.

Wanted to let you know I got my Campbell Sailor prop installed. Took it out and ran it about. Good power both fore and aft. I think a little less or at the least different prop wash. Easily get upto and beyond hull speed. Will need to see how the fuel consumption and engine rpm's work over some timed distances. Going astern it feels like there is no prop wash at all. Need to understand exactly what is happening. May be that I am going at a lower rpm. Before the boat would start to turn almost immediately.

I did do some crash stops. Very interesting. Think I got the boat to stop within the boat length. Did blow out a bit of soot, so maybe the engine is working a bit more efficiently. Time will tell.

Hope we cross wakes out there in the Gulf Islands.
Fair winds on your 2018 cruise.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi John
Sure glad that prop is working for you. I've been very happy with both of mine.
Summer plans are pretty loose this year...just go where the wind blows and enjoy. Overall we expect to get as far north as Bella Bella then around the island. Don't have to be anywhere at any time so it should be very relaxing.
Just a bit left to do on the boat then a good wash up so we should be ready to go on May 1. Should be home by the end of Sept. plus or minus depending on the weather.
Hope to see you out there.

Jan 5, 2017
Spent the afternoon putting new hull liner in my tool room (starboard aft cabin) . A little practise where it won't show much. Looks pretty good I think. Will finish that off tomorrow then change the engine oil. Almost ready!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Have a good cruise Michael! We splash tomorrow and see how my prop pitch adj works. Yard was kind enough to give me a free short haul if I need to repitch again!!

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Mark. Sure can't beat a free haul but hope you don't need it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just to let you know, there are those of us on the Right coast interested in adventures on the Left coast. I've visited on land many years ago, but I know nothing about the sailing. Looking forward to following your progress. Thanks for posting and please don't be shy with the pictures.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Will
I'll try to do better this year. Will be staying in the southern half of our coast this year so staying in touch is a little easier. Twelve days and counting!

Jan 5, 2017
Finished the hull/head liner in the aft cabin today. Came away with renewed respect for people who do that for a living! Glad it's done. Tomorrow is clean-up . Ten days to go!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Finished the hull/head liner in the aft cabin today. Came away with renewed respect for people who do that for a living! Glad it's done. Tomorrow is clean-up . Ten days to go!
Living with beauty costs. I think the dividends are the best one can hope for, though.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Moved the boat up to the Gov't dock this morning. It's closer to home (400 metres) so was easier to get everything packed up. Taking the morning ebb over to Sidney in the morning for last minute things, then the flood up Trincomali Channel to Conover, Pirates or maybe Degnen Bay. Summer is officially underway!

Jan 5, 2017
GEDC0142.JPG Finally all loaded and ready to go. A bit of light rain in the morning but it cleared up in the afternoon. However there was not much wind. Made it to Pirates Cove for the night then through Gabriola Passage in the morning.GEDC0144.JPG
Crossed the Gulf to Vancouver this morning, the forecast winds were AWOL so motored over to visit family. On the up-side the new solar panels work great and it appears I didn't do to much damage while working on the boat this past winter.

Dec 25, 2000
Grrr. A few weeks for us. Need to haul and paint the bottom first. Soon, very soon.

Jan 5, 2017
OK Terry; I'll leave the water out for you. Are you headed up this way this year?

Dec 25, 2000
OK Terry; I'll leave the water out for you. Are you headed up this way this year?
Great Michael and thank you. We'll need all the water we can get. Plan to get up your way, but unsure of the timeframe. Post me your phone number and I can call you later as our schedule firms up. My cell number is 425/870-6923.

Jan 5, 2017
GEDC0147.JPG GEDC0148.JPG GEDC0147.JPG Spent three nights at Fishermans Wharf in False Creek to visit friends and family. A bit crowded but surprisingly quiet. Next was a trip up Indian Arm. Only 13 miles from downtown Vancouver it feels like mid-coastGEDC0160.JPG

Jan 5, 2017
IMG_0425.jpeg IMG_0423.jpeg Skipper hard at work, sailing from Vancouver to Gibsons.
Passing through the Second Narrows into Vancouver Harbour.