V berth fresh water tank leak

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Anyone have this problem? Drained and refilled fresh water tank ( 37 gals) under
V berth. Opened faucet got water. Very short time later discovered bilge full
of fresh water. Checking water lines.
Appears only way to access front of this tank would be to pull out drawers face
of V berth and remove frame. Would this allow view of connection water line
to tank?

Thanks for any response.

Clyde Thorington
C310
# 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
yes. You may be able to open the bottom drawer and remove it and see the connection without pulling the entire frame. You can lift the mattress and look down but may not see much from above. I'm sure you checked already checked, but are the drain petcocks under the galley sink closed if they were opened to drain last fall?

Clydo

May 28, 2013
yes. You may be able to open the bottom drawer and remove it and see the connection without pulling the entire frame. You can lift the mattress and look down but may not see much from above. I'm sure you checked already checked, but are the drain petcocks under the galley sink closed if they were opened to drain last fall?
Thank you. Nope. In this part of sunny California no need to drain each Fall.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Here is what the tank looks like. You can't really see the connection in the tank.

But is your tank empty or is there just water in the bilge?
Bilge had been vacuumed to dry ( from previous rain) .

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Fill your tank up until water comes out of the fill hole on deck.
Then lift up v berth matress, remove board and check around big black inspection cap.
This is where you will find water leak :dancing:

paulj
:hook2:
Meant to thank you for such great pictures.

Clyde Thorington

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Bilge had been vacuumed to dry ( from previous rain) .

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Clyde,

Was the tank empty or just water in the bilge?

If the tank was full and there was water in the bilge, look at what Paul said. Many fill the tank until water flows out the fill. There are several places you could leak that would fill the bilge while still filling the tank. The clean out, the fill connection, the vent connection, etc.

If the tank is empty that's another story.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Fill your tank up until water comes out of the fill hole on deck.
Then lift up v berth matress, remove board and check around big black inspection cap.
This is where you will find water leak :dancing:

paulj
:hook2:
Been there. Done that. Pumped out the bilge after...
If I'm starting with an empty tank I put a flow meter on the end of the hose and stop at 34-35 gallons. Eventually I'll put sensors on the tank (to match the ones on the waste tank), but that's a major project to get at the side of the tank and run the wires.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Been there. Done that. Pumped out the bilge after...
If I'm starting with an empty tank I put a flow meter on the end of the hose and stop at 34-35 gallons. Eventually I'll put sensors on the tank (to match the ones on the waste tank), but that's a major project to get at the side of the tank and run the wires.
. After I pumped out the bilge filled tank about half full shortly after checked bilge and "full" of water. My leak
(guess shouldn't call leak but small flood?) which leads me to believe connection at tank problem. Didn't have
time to lift all three bilge covers and under galley sink to see where flow from but will do next trip up to boat
in couple days. Thanks for all the help.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Nov 16, 2012
. After I pumped out the bilge filled tank about half full shortly after checked bilge and "full" of water. My leak
(guess shouldn't call leak but small flood?) which leads me to believe connection at tank problem. Didn't have
time to lift all three bilge covers and under galley sink to see where flow from but will do next trip up to boat
in couple days. Thanks for all the help.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
If you pull out the drawers you should be able to see and/or feel the connection at the bottom of the tank. Good luck!!

Nov 16, 2012
Here is what the tank looks like. You can't really see the connection in the tank.

But is your tank empty or is there just water in the bilge?
Jesse, is that duct tape holding down your sensors and wiring? Has it worked well? Need to do it on our boat soon.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, is that duct tape holding down your sensors and wiring? Has it worked well? Need to do it on our boat soon.
Yes. The sensors are the square pieces. The tape was just to hold the wire for putting the tank back.

It works great. It just says if the tank is empty, 1/3 full, 2/3 full and full. I put the sensors a little far apart. So the readings aren't perfect but it really helps. We have since calibrated it and know its 10 gallons from full to 2/3s, 15 gallons from 2/3 to 1/3 and 10 gallons from 1/3 to empty.

Nov 16, 2012
Yes. The sensors are the square pieces. The tape was just to hold the wire for putting the tank back.

It works great. It just says if the tank is empty, 1/3 full, 2/3 full and full. I put the sensors a little far apart. So the readings aren't perfect but it really helps. We have since calibrated it and know its 10 gallons from full to 2/3s, 15 gallons from 2/3 to 1/3 and 10 gallons from 1/3 to empty.
Nice. That's the same setup I'm doing. What did you use to glue the sensors on? The ones I used on the waste tank didn't seem to hold real well, but I haven't pulled the board off since I did it to see if they've fallen off. Sticking things to plastic is always a little dicey.