hunter 41 house banks

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I just recived my new to me 2005 hunter, my house bank is a automotive 225 amps bank. With only usabe 120 amps after 3 hours of navigation i am all ready with low battery warning. My starter battery is below floor in front of the main head. In this place i only have space left for another blue top battery as i have installed there the water pump for the water maker. I cannot change this acomodation as i have a water pick up with filter allready done. If i change the battery below the navigation seat i can have 6 6volt battery with a capacity of aprox 420 amp, so i will have like 200 amp before recharging (i have a gen). So this will be like 6 hours of day navigation and like 4 hour at night (with shower water filter radio etc). Do you think if i make a rack below the floor in the bilge this is a good place to have additional bank? So i can enlarge the banks to 300 usable amps so i will charge battery only twice a day.? I only use my sailboat for max 48 to 36 (3 days) of navigation before i rest at anchor. How big is your house bank ?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You are going to get a lot of response to this post since battery issues are a popular topic here. I'm not the one to answer since I am a student in this area. But good advice is on the way. Expect to hear a bit about solar panels since you are in the sunny part of the world.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Or not. Sometimes on this forum a good question falls off the front page before very many members see it because a number of posts on other subjects and responses follow the post. So it it can be useful to repost the question on another day when there is less traffic.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm going to have say that is a bad place for your water maker. I have 4 Interstate Lead Acid batteries in that location with a custom made mount giving me 620 amp hours of house bank. My starter battery is just in front of the saloon seating on a shelf in the bilge which I think was a stock location. The area under the nav seat is open for storage and it's where I keep my tools. It shouldn't be too hard to relocate the water maker. I know you don't want to move the water maker but that particular location lends itself very nicely to batteries as it's low in the boat and close to center.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
LOL. That location is not really the bilge per se. The bilge pump is located 3 feet lower and sectioned off from the shelf location of the start battery. There is a small bilge pump and the inlet to the manual pump located by the walk through transom. Then two feet higher up is a large emergency bilge pump which is tied into an audible alarm. And the location out side the day head is another foot higher and is in a lined storage area just like the lined storage area below the pantry, not really the bilge. If your getting water in the location I’m suggesting you should have called a May Day a while ago!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Valerio, PM me and I will give you my phone if your not understanding where in the boat I’m talking about. You could smuggle people in your bilge it’s so big. Next time I’m at the boat I can Take pictures to help explain.