I need shaft coupling info plz

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
How did it work out Justin? We installed a PSS dripless on our '91h30t and used a new, conventional coupling from yanmar. Had to lower the rudder because i replaced the prop shaft as well. But had adequate room. I considered a split coupling but read somewhere they didn't align as well as a conventional, one piece coupling. Probably just bunk.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Still waiting to get it back from the machine shop. The split coupling has to be torqued evenly or it won't be straight when it comes time to face it. I sent a video demo of what happens when you don't torque it to the machinist.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Consistant Hammer Dings? :laugh:

I did like the "wedge" use.

Thanks posting a professional job.
Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Finally got my new coupling fitted and faced, installed and the LasDrop dripless seal installed as well. Not much shaft to work with. Not enough left to reinstall the ground strap that rode on the shaft. What is still exposed has a groove for the shaft key. Not a smooth surface to ride on. I will have to add a ground wire from the trans flange to the coupling to bridge the Drivesaver.
Then I can put my rudder back on. That much closer to getting in the water.

20180414_132617_resized.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I fastened it to the siphon break at the top of the mixing elbow. The directions say if you stay under 20 knots it is used as a vent. If faster it has to be hooked up up to a water source.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I usually use jack screws rather than wedges. I usually true my chuck rather than cheating with a steady rest. His methods seem to produce a good result.

I think that the jack screws are easier to use & more difficult to cause damage with, compared to the wedge & hammer trick.

That's just me though.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If faster it has to be hooked up up to a water source.
You water source will be the water you sail in, Silt and all. It is the reverse thrust that compresses your spring.

Also remember the high point of your vent MUST be above the water line of your full cargo loaded boat.
Otherwise it will back flow into your open engine valve.
Jim...