First tornado... sort of

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
so I was almost to the lake today with my trailer in tow. The plan was to bring the boat home for a spring cleaning and to install a few new toys before the spring trip. The sky starter looking funky!!!!

I said to my daughter that we should bail. I didn’t want to have the mast half down when a gust of wind knocks it sideways and tears things up.
Just got home when the NOAA radar ap on my phone goes nuts and says there is a tornado in my area. We hid in the basement. We were lucky. We lost a bunch of trees and power but a tenth of a mile from my house ... entire houses are gone.

I’m very glad we decided to bail on lowering the mast today.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nasty front pushing through.. Glad yall didn't have any damage..

Jan 19, 2010
My next door neighbor's garage is gone. Just noticed that this morning. It is weird how focused the damage is. It looks like the twister passed within 100' of my front door. My front yard had most of the trees flattened and the back yard looks normal.

Jan 19, 2010
As one of my former teachers used to love to say to me... "Granger! I guess it is better to be lucky than smart"

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You're lucky it was only one of your former teachers. All my teachers told me that. :wink:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Must be the sailor in you. Keeping an eye on the weather and acting accordingly. Good idea to head for the basement.