Hunter Vision 32 - Great Lakes and Great Loop

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Hunter Vision 32 for cruising the Great Lakes and possible Great Loop cruising. I am aware of two places where the mast needs to be lowered on the Great Loop. The Hudson River to enter the Erie Canal would be the first place where the mast comes down. Then it would go back up again to enter Lake Erie. The other spot I am aware of it just below Chicago on the Illinois River to go under the 19 foot 1 inch bridge clearance. Because the mast is different from other sailboats, I was wondering if this represents a problem for marinas to step and un-step the mast. Other post have mentioned the weight and overhang of the mast would be a problem with excessive rolling in the canals due to wake of other boats. Has any owners of the Vision taken a trip on the Great Loop and have input on stepping and un-stepping the mast or any other issues that may come up on the trip? Input on building a mast cradle to support the mast would also be appreciated.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
The Vision 32 is keel stepped. I've never messed with one, but I know the deck seal around the mast can be problematic in terms of water leaks.

Ken

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Hi Ken, Im up here in Canada on lake Ontario and pull the mast every year for the haul out.. Pulling the mast is easy. Remove the bolt at the base of the mast. (mine doesnt have one) Unplug the wiring, remove sails, boom, Fore stay, bolts from the sealing ring and lift her out. Allot quicker and easier than full rigged counter parts. Note the mast is very heavy and tall. Good luck.

Mike

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info on how easy it is to pull the mast. I have seen blogs that say the mast is between 500 and 600 pounds for the Vision 32. Have you ever been thru the Erie canal with your Vision or motor sailed with it transported on the deck?

Bob

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Hi Bob. I have done the Erie Canal, helping a friend on a 42 Morgan from lock 1 on the Hudson river right up to Georgion Bay thru the Erie and Trent Severn water ways. The canals are like a ride on the lazy river. Very nice, beautiful scenery and towns. Definitely should be on your bucket list. The mast is around 600 lbs and was pulled easily by our club crane. Placing it on the deck would be challenging, its 53ft long. Maybe see how much it would cost to transport it.

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
Hi Bob. I have done the Erie Canal, helping a friend on a 42 Morgan from lock 1 on the Hudson river right up to Georgion Bay thru the Erie and Trent Severn water ways. The canals are like a ride on the lazy river. Very nice, beautiful scenery and towns. Definitely should be on your bucket list. The mast is around 600 lbs and was pulled easily by our club crane. Placing it on the deck would be challenging, its 53ft long. Maybe see how much it would cost to transport it.
Hi Mike,
When you pulled the mast on the Vision did you replace the sealing ring? If yes, where did you purchase it? It does not seem to be a stock item on this web site.
Bob

Feb 15, 2018
hunter 32.5 Belleville
Hi Bob, I reused the sealing ring. After torquing down the ring bolts, I ran a silicone bead around the mast to keep the rain out. I put the mast back in last week and went for my first sail today.