How Old Test

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I remember our milkman named Skip. He drove a Sealtest milk wagon powered by a horse.He used throw a block of ice onto the street for us on really hot days.
I got 17 of 17. Now where are my keys...

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The ones I don't remember were simply not available in Montreal at the time ! Don't want to add years to my already older than dirt number, but I also remember mechanical pianos (my grandma had one), wooden telephone with party line (my other grandma!), the iceman peddling 25 & 50 lbs block from a horse pulled cart...etc...etc.
And definitely South of the Border still going strong. Just drove by there last Thursday on my Spring trek back home to Canada and my boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Claude... Is it true that what your describing is still found in some places in Canada? Wooden phones, mechanical pianos, party lines...etc.:poke:
I know I had a mechanical manual piano... I had to learn scales on it.:laugh:
Still have one in my living room.:yikes:
Not in Montreal for sure...”For Sure”.
I saw horse pulled carts in Savannah and Charleston last week. Are we going forwards or backwards - kind of like backwinding my sails.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
old as dirt here. and still remember mother's favorite sayings, '
1/ if all your friends were stupid enough to jump off a bridge would you do that too? and
2/ because i say so.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
old as dirt here. and still remember mother's favorite sayings, '
1/ if all your friends were stupid enough to jump off a bridge would you do that too? and
2/ because i say so.
I think the first saying is as old as bridges and the second saying is older than primates.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Claude... Is it true that what your describing is still found in some places in Canada? Wooden phones, mechanical pianos, party lines...etc.:poke: If it is I sure have not seen any in the last 50 years :biggrin:!!!
Still have one in my living room.:yikes:
Not in Montreal for sure...”For Sure”.
I saw horse pulled carts in Savannah and Charleston last week. Are we going forwards or backwards - kind of like backwinding my sails.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a 53 Studebaker hardtop, with a bored and stroked Crysler hemi, 671 gm blower and Hilborn injectors.
My Dad's Studebaker had some innovative features. For one a roll down radio antenna. Also a hill holder on the brake (Very nice feature in Pottsville Pa.) that would allow you to take your foot off the bake to depress the clutch without you rolling backwards. And also a latch on the trunk that allows you to open the trunk independently of the key. There is still a Studebaker Dealer building in Riverhead. Now it is office space but the edifice is pretty cool. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of it.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
... Wooden phones, mechanical pianos, party lines...etc.:poke:
Still have one in my living room.:yikes:...
I may have told this story here before, but many years ago my oldest daughter was admiring the Steinway at church. She reached out and pressed one of the keys. When the note sounded, she jumped backed, apologized, and said, " I didn't know it was on."

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I didn't even know "mechanical piano" was a thing. I thought there were electric pianos, midi pianos, player pianos and pianos.:meh:
I remember learning to type on a typewriter, then I thought electric typewriters were the bomb. Next were electric typewriters small enough to fit in an easy carry case to school. Then, I remember walking through an antique shop with my kids and finding a typewriter and my son asking how you plugged it in to see what you were typing. I told him they were so advanced that they never needed external power and they had a printer built right in.
You have to understand, after my son moved into his own apartment in DC and was working for a big law firm as a layer, he called home to ask how to address an envelope, where to put the stamp and where he went to mail it. His kid sister yelled over his mother's shoulder, "In those big blue boxes you see on the street corners."

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Any piano is just an eighty eight string guitar. :)

Did sis remind him about the return address and where it went? :)
No, his mother had already answered that question.
It is my understanding that pianos are in the percussion group while guitars are in the string group, even though guitar players get a lot more percussive, unless you're Jerry Lee Lewis. I have a friend who plays guitar that and got to play with Jerry Lee Lewis while living in NOLA.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Visiting my grandparents on the farm when I was a wee lad....

Making a late night trip to outhouse using a kerosene lantern for light. Grandma was the only one allowed to use the big 6 volt flashlight.

Drawing water from the well with a long, skinny bucket.
Fresh milk and cream and butter at breakfast,cooled in an actual icebox. It was still in the cow the day before.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
17 here with ease....remember 5 cent bus rides all the way to downtown, hitchhiking everywhere as a kid, never an issue, always got rides, round compressor on top of the refrigerator, 10 cent cokes from the machine with the big mechanical lever, nearly round tv screens with the RCA dog on the cabinet (of course black & white), milk box on side of house for milkman, push-reel (no motor) lawnmower, buying a new '65 mustang for $2400, seatbelts & backup lites were options we couldn't afford, mom wearing a house dress daily to clean and cook in, cherry cokes at the soda fountain in Woolworths, block ice for the icebox in our '56 Chris Craft Sedan boat, doctor's house calls for $5....and I forgot what I had for dinner last nite!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Remember vacuum tubes and TV repairman who came to the house? The bright dot in the middle of the screen that hung around for 5 minutes after you turned the TV off?

- Will (Dragonfly)