Is foam normal?

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
I just picked up hull 6954 (1975 vintage) and have begun her dismantle. There's what appears to be some closed cell foam in her port lazerette (under the cockpit) and more foam under the starboard lazerette. It this how the factory shipped the boat? I'd love to tear the foam out if its not structural. Advice?
1523664995814919099360.jpg
15236650414151138760236.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It was added for floatation, not structure.
We see these every once in a while.
Not sure if anyone has the definitive answer as to if it is Catalina, Dealer or owners who did this.

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
Thanks LR! I'm no engineer but so long as there is air in those spaces her buoyancy will remain the same....if her mast side remains pointed skyward :thumbup:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Thanks LR! I'm no engineer but so long as there is air in those spaces her buoyancy will remain the same....if her mast side remains pointed skyward :thumbup:
Unfortunately, if a boat takes on water, the mast stay vertical (for a long while) as it sinks. I agree someone thought foam would help with buoyancy in the event of "a big problem.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
keep your laz lids secured and crib boards in place in rough conditions, you'll be floatin' with or without foam in the event of a knockdown...now if you get runover by a powerboat it may help some, but your boat will be toast anyway...

AND, with foam, there is limited space for the Lazarette (trunk) Monkeys to reside...cruel.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Back in the day, you could order positive flotation as an option .. many folks did .. more didn't..
offered some piece of mind for those heeling adverse folks.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
foam is positively bouyant and keeps water from occupying an area in the event of a swamping to aid in keeping the boat from sinking. However, until the day water actually has access to that area, it takes buoyancy away from the boat by adding weight. Generally, there is not much difference between foam and dead air space, but with foam, over time, the presence of water may be harder to detect. There was just a thread that covered this very subject. I think the conclusion was that in 30 years, foam exposed to water, could lose a third of its buoyancy.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...tation-of-wet-foam.190595/page-4#post-1447321

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Foam deterioration is one reason I'd remove it if it was my boat.
Questionable when installed. Even more so, decades later, with old foam.

The important thing with the C22 is to keep the forward hatch, and cockpit lockers closed and secured. Especially the cockpit lockers. They can flop open if the boat heels waaay over, and flood the boat. Obviously in rough weather you secure the main hatch.

Foam is goofy in many boats IMO. Want something like that.. buy an ETAP yacht.
As the titanic demonstrated, it is engaged human brains that best avoid sinking.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It has been my experience that Lazz Monkeys can be found in boatyard bars ! Most of them don't require you to purchase (except for maybe a little rum punch) .. some rent.... :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I find it crucial to review all potential safety issues with new crew and guests, vhf operation, MOB drill, knockdown procedures, fire extinguisher and life jacket locations, and most importantly a prudent discussion on how to best deal with Lazarette Monkeys, should they enter the cabin space....especially on a <86 model where they have unfettered cabin access...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
For years the second most popular trailer boat was Required to have the foam installed, so they used it as a great selling point. Unfortunately the original owners of this Catalina fell for the additional safety features of installed foam from the dealership.

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
What a wealth of knowledgeable and often humorous replies....thank y'all so so much. I've concluded that the foam is likely to cause more issues than it solves. I'll pop it out of the lazerette this week.....as much as i love the stink of moldy wet foam its gotta go.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I can guarantee it’s not structural — my ‘73 is identical and was sans foam from the factory. I ripped out my deteriorated cockpit sole and the entirety of the sole is supported from above and does not rely on your foam plug. Nuke it

E9E90D6A-993A-4026-8289-83CE9969305A.jpeg

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
Would you look at all that space! I bet I could find some way to get my inflatable dinghy in there.....or a weeks supply of dark & stormies!

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Definitely dink worthy— tends to be the low spot aft, but if you’re not leaking mine stays dry. Forgot i had a shot with the floor out:

73366CA1-AE71-4056-A2C8-7F1AE9C01722.jpeg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Excellent pics, they really show the vastness that space!

Can someone refresh my memory about the starboard side? I seem to recall the lazarette opening to reveal a flat shelf, running all the way forward to the berth, with lockers on the bottom for two-story storage, as it were.