Ready...set....GO!!! (New refit project)

Apr 13, 2018
Macgregor Venture 25 Catskill NY
I bought my 1973 Macgregor 25 last year, and put it up on jacks at the marina over the winter. I am planning to go through it in the next few weeks with an eye toward making sure all the electrical systems are up to par. I am not really sure where to start. I want to keep things simple, and upgrade lighting to LED. I have a light situation on the mast that I am wondering about too (see below). Wondering if anyone knows/has a good resource they could recommend to guide me. OR....if I had a magic wand....lives in the Hudson NY area and could come down and give me some tips.
IMG_6016.JPG
2016-09-24 12.45.14.jpg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Have you dropped the keel and inspected the pivot point and pin? I'd for sure do that. You should be able to find lots of LED light options on line.

If you plan on anchoring a lot I'd recommend a good LED anchor light. What we use on both boats...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-23.html

Have fun with your new boat,

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Consider this: MacGregor used something like lamp-cord for the electrical system. They came with running lights, mast light, and cabin lighting. Everything else was added by a previous owner. Check the work. It can be scary sometimes.

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks to you all for quick response and particularly the wiring diagram. Dropping the keel and inspecting the pivot point is my first project ....even before electrical. Anything special that I should be looking for?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The keel is the most important thing to check. Make sure the motor works well. check the condition of the sails, if you need to, get them to a loft before they get too busy
Macs are pretty simple. I had a 26S for 10 years. Kick the tires, light the fires and go sailing!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Dropping the keel and inspecting the pivot point is my first project ....even before electrical. Anything special that I should be looking for?
This might help...

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/mac-25-cast-iron-keel-check-your-keel.159791/

I think anything major will be pretty evident and hopefully all will be well or easily addressed
:),

Sumner
======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 13, 2018
Follow up questions:

I have a vent (don't know the proper name) that is broken and needs to be replaced. Any suggesting where to buy a good replacement?
2. There is a hole in the deck covered up in picture that appears to have been a vent too. I am not sure what was there originally....something for the head?
3. I have two weird holes by outboard. Not sure what type of modification this was from. I am thinking to fill it since it sits safely above the water line. I have a suspicion they were drilled as fuel lines. Very strange.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I did not mean to drop the entire keel-- just lower it to the ground like you would on the trailer and get the weight off the wench and stands and hull.
Thanks to you all for quick response and particularly the wiring diagram. Dropping the keel and inspecting the pivot point is my first project ....even before electrical. Anything special that I should be looking for?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I did not mean to drop the entire keel-- just lower it to the ground like you would on the trailer and get the weight off the wench and stands and hull.
Yes, wenches hate it when they have too much weight on them! ;)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
2 holes left over from old motor mount
broken scoops point in the direction of breeze when at anchor
shinny thing with tape solar vent fan to remove .......from head may need new battery

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Follow up questions:

I have a vent (don't know the proper name) that is broken and needs to be replaced. Any suggesting where to buy a good replacement?
2. There is a hole in the deck covered up in picture that appears to have been a vent too. I am not sure what was there originally....something for the head?
3. I have two weird holes by outboard. Not sure what type of modification this was from. I am thinking to fill it since it sits safely above the water line. I have a suspicion they were drilled as fuel lines. Very strange.

I'm thinking your boat is a little newer than 1973. 75 maybe. Does it have a liner?
You can get the Hull ID off the right rear transom or from your boat title and decipher it.
You can't always go by the name/model of the boat on the title because they are often misleading or flat out wrong.

I have a 1973 Venture 224 that morphed into the Venture 25 2 years later and into the MAC 25 over the next couple of years.
It was a time of change for the Mac clan.

Until you decide what the future holds I would just glue up the cracks in that dorade someone rudely dropped something heavy on and throw SS bolts washers and nyloks with butyl in the transom holes (countersink first).

None of those vents in the top of your boat are stock.

Apr 13, 2018
I'm thinking your boat is a little newer than 1973. 75 maybe. Does it have a liner?
You can get the Hull ID off the right rear transom or from your boat title and decipher it.
You can't always go by the name/model of the boat on the title because they are often misleading or flat out wrong.

I have a 1973 Venture 224 that morphed into the Venture 25 2 years later and into the MAC 25 over the next couple of years.
It was a time of change for the Mac clan.

Until you decide what the future holds I would just glue up the cracks in that dorade someone rudely dropped something heavy on and throw SS bolts washers and nyloks with butyl in the transom holes (countersink first).

None of those vents in the top of your boat are stock.
Your comment about the boat potentially being older than 73 got me thinking..... so I went to the transom to see the the date of production. Production date was JULY 1971. Two years earlier than reported. Not sure what to think of this.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Your comment about the boat potentially being older than 73 got me thinking..... so I went to the transom to see the the date of production. Production date was JULY 1971. Two years earlier than reported. Not sure what to think of this.

Hmmm, I don't think its as old as a 1971. I don't think Ventures had their ID numbers on the transom until the year of my boat - 1973, and that was only some of them. The older ones had the number as a set of holes drilled into a stringer deep down inside the boat.

I'm sticking to my guess of 1974 or 1975. You have what I think of as a "morph" boat going from the old V24 to the V25/Mac 25.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I agree with TOPCAT. Freedom was built in late '76. Launched January 1, 1977. 40+ and still sailing. You definitely have a Venture 25. V24 had single windows and no hull liner. I think it is newer than a '73. I think the earliest production of V25 was late 74 early 75? Is there an ID # stamped into the starboard transom? Can you send a pic or serial #s. Do you have Title. Year of mfg should be noted. Do you have original sails. If so, Hull # will be same as sail #. Freedom is hull # is 928.

Apr 13, 2018
The number on the transome appears to be 1973 but I suppose it could just be a faded "5". I need to purchase a Main sail now....somewhere. Any thoughts?