N2K for Dummies

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm about to install a simple NMEA 2000 network for instruments and MFD. Are there any simple guides for doing this? I don't think I need to get into the nuances of N2K, but information on topics like different types of cables, extending cables, power on the network, etc.

Online references would be helpful.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Les Troyer wrote a great one, published in Mainsheet magazine a few issues back. Ask him for a copy of it.

Jan 11, 2014
Which manufacturer are you using?
B&G. Trying to break my habit of learning after screwing up. I want to learn first and then screw it up. :biggrin:

From what I have read so far, I think I have a decent understanding, just trying to make certain. Something that points out common mistakes would be helpful. I prefer to make uncommon mistakes.

Les Troyer wrote a great one, published in Mainsheet magazine a few issues back. Ask him for a copy of it.
Thanks Stu, I'll ask Les.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The only thing (for now!) ;^) I'll add here is try and get as much gear from one brand (or umbrella company). While the standard is getting much better at interop and plug-and-play, many non-plotter devices can ONLY be updated or configured by head units of same make, like GPS/compass senders, APs, RADAR domes, HiFi black boxes etc.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The only thing (for now! ;^) thing I'll add here it try and get as much gear from one brand (or umbrella company). While the standard is getting much better at interop and plug-and-play, many non-plotter devices can ONLY be updated or configured by head units of same make, like GPS/compass senders, RADAR domes, HiFi black boxes etc.
Right on Jack! I am installing a new autopilot. I went with a Raymarine unit. I can only update the firmware on that unit if I have a Raymarine MFD. So now I'm calling local dealers trying to get someone to update the firmware for me with their MFD or finding a friend to let me use there.

The common mistakes I have fixed on the boats were the owners have done the install have to do with unbalanced power (usually from trying to use the autopilot computer power as the source for the whole network) or from unclosed backbones (i.e.) they end one side on a T or 5 slot connector but don't put the end cap on the last backbone section.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I am installing a new autopilot. I went with a Raymarine unit. I can only update the firmware on that unit if I have a Raymarine MFD. So now I'm calling local dealers trying to get someone to update the firmware for me with their MFD or finding a friend to let me use there.
And the thing that should be considered is not the "here and now", but rather the "down the road", where the widget that you'll buy next year needs to have the installed devices firmware upgraded to integrate.

Jan 11, 2014
The only thing (for now!) ;^) I'll add here is try and get as much gear from one brand (or umbrella company). While the standard is getting much better at interop and plug-and-play, many non-plotter devices can ONLY be updated or configured by head units of same make, like GPS/compass senders, APs, RADAR domes, HiFi black boxes etc.
Yes, I'm staying with one vendor, B&G except for the AIS which is Vesper Marine. Vesperhas a good reputation for playing well with others.

would also add- use just one source for cables, tees, power taps. Don't mix and match between manufacturers. Tees from Garmin, Simrad, Maretron connected at different angles to one another.
Ah, this is the kind of information I'm looking for.

The one known issue I will have is the drop cable from the wind instruments. I know that anemometer has a terminator and the cable is 66 feet long. My mast come done every year and I need to put a connector in the cable near the mast or I have to rerun the cable every year. Also will have a new Speed/depth transducer and compass nearby but separated by the floor in the V-berth. Trying to keep everything simple and with as few connectors as possible.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had the same issue. My local West Marine did it for me, although I had to load the update on an sd card.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
One thing not mentioned is having a single backbone. With N2K it is very easy to split the backbone. While it may work ok today, the next device you add may cause it to develop storms and in all likelyhood you’ll blame the new device rather than the network topology.

@dlochner pm me your email I’ll send the article.

Les

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
If you're using the B&G wind instrument the masthead end of the cable has a SIMNET connector - very small and easy to fish thru the mast. It is designed to terminate the backbone and has a tiny terminating resistor in the masthead connector. fish the cable thru the mast from the bottom, and if possible just coil up the excess cable at the base. Had the same issue with Escape but decided to just store the excess - about 8 feet - instead of cutting and putting on a field installable connector. run your backbone forward to a convenient location (mine is behind the port settee), install a tee and then a cable to the base of the mast. the wind instrument completes your backbone. The tee connects to the cable from your depth/speed sender (that's a drop cable). Works great, the yard had no issue disconnecting the cable and storing it coiled with the mast.