Awkward selfie

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Ever wonder how weird you look when trying to reach into or around things, working on hard to get to parts of your boat? I couldn't see the top of my mast and wanted to take measurements for new fittings so I took a picture. It ain't pretty but it worked.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Both awkward and depressing. Had to stick my cell phone along the starboard side of my engine to see how badly I had stripped the anode bolt with my impact wrench.
2018-03-25 17.43.42.jpg

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Decided to take a selfie last year.
Set the timer on the iPhone, and then set the phone against the pedestal compass in front of the wheel.
Well, the autopilot was steering, following the commands from the chart plotter.
At least, that's what I thought. You see, the autopilot has a sense of humor, for as I posed in my seat, trying to look like a seasoned sailor, staring reflectively across the great Pacific, this is the picture I got:

image.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Ever wonder how weird you look when trying to reach into or around things, working on hard to get to parts of your boat? I couldn't see the top of my mast and wanted to take measurements for new fittings so I took a picture. It ain't pretty but it worked.
I use that tool at work and on the boat, all the time. Handy. The only thing, there is a whole new parallax error to learn.

Good selfie!

IMG_0902.JPG

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
When I was a kid I remember my dad reaching around tight spots with a mirror to see. Who needs a mirror with cell phone videos?

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
Both awkward and depressing. Had to stick my cell phone along the starboard side of my engine to see how badly I had stripped the anode bolt with my impact wrench.
View attachment 148451
First thing I would try is a Grip-Tite socket. They really work. If the bolt is too corroded you can try heating it with an arc welder. Get a good ground connection to the block by unbolting the ground clamp from the cable and bolting the cable directly to the block. Set the welder on about 100-120 amps. Chuck a 3/8" bolt in the welding stinger then short the 3/8 bolt head to the stripped head. Tap it on and let the welder buzz for a minute or so. This will put the heat directly into the frozen bolt. Once it is warm go to work the the Grip-Tite. The welder trick really works. In a couple of cases when I have not had a welder available I have used jumper cables to the house bank. I would not try that on such a large bolt unless you have some really heavy duty jumper cables. They get hot in a hurry.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Camera phone is the best !
IMG_1089.JPG

Use it all the time to get a view in a difficult, if not impossible place for me to see.

Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
The only thing, there is a whole new parallax error to learn.
I was wondering about the parallax error but for what I'm doing close is good enough :) The anchor light I'm looking at is 2.13" diameter and I have about 3-1/2".

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You guys are all so fortunate that your phone cameras work so well that way.
I 4am my son have a terrible time trying to use the selfie pic for getting hard to reach working shots.
For example: my son and I were trying to see into a hard to reach spot on Dragonfly that was around a corner and when I used my phone camera to take a reverse view shot looking back it caught only my son and me.
Wee are both incredibly photogenic so the shot came out like this

20180407_082006.jpg

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep smartphones can really help and go pro up mast will give you a neat selfie too
View from above.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
James. Thought I heard you did not have a stick but a display between your legs.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
How did you get it out?
It is still in there. Ordered a replacement anode base Yanmar 128270-09300, and once it is here, I will be trying heat. Either welder or torch, and a nut/bolt extractor.
2018-03-25 17.43.31.jpg Yanmar 128270-09300 Anode Plug.jpg bolt extractor.jpg
Still worried as this is right next to the fuel lift pump which is attached with two bolts that may also be too difficult to remove. LOL

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
It is still in there.
Have you loaded it up with penetrating oil? When I pulled the exhaust flange off my boat I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench every couple of days for a couple of weeks before trying to remove it. When I put the impact wrench to the bolts they came out in one piece. They were reluctant, but they did come out. I don't have any photos of the bolts, but they looked pretty much like the rest of the exhaust which was pretty rusted.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
It is still in there. Ordered a replacement anode base Yanmar 128270-09300, and once it is here, I will be trying heat. Either welder or torch, and a nut/bolt extractor.
View attachment 148586 View attachment 148585 View attachment 148584
Still worried as this is right next to the fuel lift pump which is attached with two bolts that may also be too difficult to remove. LOL
Be careful of the liquid wrench or any other penetrating oil. They will destroy engine gaskets and cause new issues.

Good luck!