Hunter 41 DS large window resealing

Jun 8, 2016
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda
I have a 2005 Hunter 41 DS. The boat has large fixed window on each side of the saloon. See pictures. Each of these are leaking in the bottom aft corner when it rains. So I need to pull them out and re-bed them. These windows have screws on the inside holding them in place. Nothing on the outside except the Crome window edge. Before I pull one off has anyone done this already. I saw a lot on the black sealing but that is not what we have.

Attachments

Jun 7, 2007
- - Newport Beach CA
Hi Joe. I have a 2008 41DS with identical problem. The boat is in Cape Coral, so I'm
very interested in your solution. I haven't started the repair project yet.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I also have a 08 41ds and all of the fixed port lights in the main salon sweat/condensate profusely . Make sure what you are seeing is actual leaks and not the aluminum sweating. Both of my port and starboard forward facing fixed salon windows leak from rain in the lower outside corners. Water pools up on the exterior of both. I have cleaned/taped/caulked both and almost eliminated this but while I was cleaning one with denatured alcohol the starboard lens cracked... now I am looking for a replacement. Good luck

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
Hi Joe. I have a 2008 41DS with identical problem. The boat is in Cape Coral, so I'm
very interested in your solution. I haven't started the repair project yet.
Ditto for me too.
I have a 2007 41 DS in Annapolis, Maryland. I had a small leak in the lower left corner, same as yours, while on a week-long voyage. I was able to temporarily fix it by pushing the window outward while inserting a small amount of silicone with a syringe. It's only a matter of time before I have to pull all my windows and reseal them.

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
Hey Joe,
I don’t know if it’ll be any help, but I came across a couple of files I have saved pertaining to generic window/portlights resealing.
Although silicone is rarely used for anything on boats except for poly carbonate plastic windows Down Corning makes 795 silicone that comes highly recommended. Boat Works Today has many good YouTube videos mostly on fiberglass but here is one on portlights.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am thinking that I read some place that Hunter used the
Dow Corning 795 for sealing windows.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I suggested that a friend use flex seal on his leaking windows on the out side and were leaking a few years and rather than removing his windows he did use the flex seal on the outside seams and now a happy sailor.
I have been using flex seal on the roof of my MH and love it and it stays clean and water and weather proof for a few years now and will use on some places on my boat soon.
Nick

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I have the same issue with my 08 and have ordered the Captain Tolley and the Flex Seal products. The problem is that the large fixed windows/lites can expand/contract a 1/4" daily. What kind of product can deal with this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dakno The 3 M tape and 795 caulk is designed for this install. The 795 is flexible even when cured.
Watch the video.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I suggested that a friend use flex seal
I tried the "flex seal" TV hype stuff. UV doesn't like it and it crumbled off.

The problem is the water does not shed on the outside. I used a different outside clear sealer but the stuff in @Newport Bob post #8 sounds good for performance sealing.

No leaks since, for me.
Jim...

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
These are from Hunter.
Ok, I have a much better way

I posted some time ago an article on how to remove a full windshield in less than 30 minutes with no damage.
If you follow the Hunter reccomended routine of pushing in small wooden wedges, it will take hours, and likely crack the plastic.
I suggest you lookup my post, by searching on my name as author.
Once it's out, re-bed with Dow Corning 795

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ok, I have a much better way

I posted some time ago an article on how to remove a full windshield in less than 30 minutes with no damage.
If you follow the Hunter reccomended routine of pushing in small wooden wedges, it will take hours, and likely crack the plastic.
I suggest you lookup my post, by searching on my name as author.
Once it's out, re-bed with Dow Corning 795

I vaguely remember that now, and went back to find it. I've also uploaded it to the General Downloads section as it applies to many Hunter models.

Attachments

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I just had to replace my forward facing fixed starboard side port lite/lens. These are 2 part assembly, The primary extrusion which is the outside and inside holding the lens, and then the inside trim ring which only holds in the headliner. All 6 of the fixed salon windows are made the same. Don't mess with the trim ring on the inside. You cut out the lens from the outsider, clean out all old bedding, the frame remains in place, use sikaflex with the primer and activator, very expensive, but you want to get rid of leaks, right. Also sand surfaces, clean with denatured alcohol, use primer, activator on both surfaces

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I live in Florida and my Motor Home sits in the sun all the time
and the flex seal on the roof still looks like new and friend who used flex seal outside windows still happy.
And a friend has Hunter 420 and used flex seal on his top windows and still happy and try it may do a good job and many boaters are also using it for many boat jobs with success.
Nick

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I recently resealed the upper half of the exterior trim on the 4 port and starboard fixed lenses. Figuring this is actually a 2 part job, 1 sealing the Al frame to the fiberglass (white), 2 sealing the lens inside the frames,(black). If you look closely you will see some places where the exterior trim is 1/16" away from the fiberglass. I cleaned it up very good, sanded edges , cleaned, taped, sealed with white 795 using a rounded squeege to make look nice, remove tape and touch up any imperfections with denatured alcohol. I haven't had a leak since:) This is the place to start.

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
Adding some pics & a tip. I couldn’t find 795 locally & was about to give up. Then I stumbled onto the Dow Corning website, which has a link to regional distributors. Ended up in some obscure warehouse in an industrial park one town over from me.

Attachments