Floors

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I pulled up the forward floor on my C36 so I could probe the wood block under the mast step (shrouds out of travel) - good news no wet wood or rot!! While I had one out I decided to pull the rest (except nav station) to refinish and fix a couple of missing teak/holly patches.

Pulling the galley floor I found one piece partially delaminated and totally soaked in oil (previous to me buying).
843B89B0-0365-435E-8064-5C1BEE20E82B.jpeg

I tried to glue back with polyester resin but oil inhibited curing despite trying 2x MEK. Oh well just bigger washers

Here are the finished panels in the house for a little warmth to assist final cure. They look a bunch better than I started with but this is definitely a job for a heated shop or summer weather.
9D20CC13-88C2-4270-8462-08BD64CC0088.jpeg

@Will Gilmore - eat your heart out on my kids first boat (100% oak). Made it ~24 years ago and has entertained kids since. Holds 1-3 at a time. Now saving on the off chance we will be blessed with grandchildren.

Les

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Les, what a beauty. I am jealous. Normally, I would suggest that a boat that size should have a tiller, but the wheel seems to fit her perfectly. Does she have a name? I think Dragonfly would suit her well :D.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It is a tiller on the floor — my e-tiller for the C36. I’ve never named the boat but if so it would be the name of a lessor Norse God.

I thought of a tiller but the wheel gives a natural place to put hands to push and pull for the rocking motion. I lied above the spokes are turned black walnut.

Being able to stand like that was a happy discovery after it was completed. It took way way to many hours with no plans.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Save your drooling Dragonfly boy...:badbad:
I am hoping that Les and his wife will adopt me, if the kids don’t bring grandkids... I’ve heard that as one ages you begin a second childhood. ;)
That boat is way cool.:yeah:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Save your drooling Dragonfly boy...:badbad:
I am hoping that Les and his wife will adopt me, if the kids don’t bring grandkids... I’ve heard that as one ages you begin a second childhood. ;)
That boat is way cool.:yeah:
:plus:
What can I say? The green eyed monster is sitting beside me.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well that is one way to "train" kids not to get "sea sick".
Looks like it might take 2 foot living room seas.
Jim...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice work on the sole pieces. You will sooooo love having them on the boat.