Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I love the comfort and "weekend range" of my Bavaria 38E such that it's tough to think about down-sizing. I put on a smaller headsail (roller furling/reefing) for easier tacking/trimming, and installed at 4-point lazy-jack system that allows me to drop the mainsail quickly w/o making a big mess of sail on the coach top and in the cockpit. It'll ride there until I can strap on a sail tie. Add autopilot and electric windlass and the only thing left that seems demanding is hoisting the main and moving the main traveler to further to windward under load. Before I'd downsize, I'd install an electric winch in a strategic location to assist w/hoisting and some sheeting. The boat for the duffers that does it all is the IP 41-ft SP cruiser; but, you'll need a lot of green.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Island-Packet-SP-Cruiser-3115983/Annapolis/MD/United-States?refSource=browse listing#.WpY2ydQrJpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I bought a Hunter 260 and learned to sail when I was 50. It had the fixed keel and wheel, roller furling job but not much more. We sailed the boat for 5 years before buying our Hunter 356 and commissioned it for full cruising. I have a below decks autopilot, in-mast furling, all the bells and whistles and my H356 is 100 times easier to sail than the H260. A friend of mine bought a H460 at the same time and it was equipped like mine. Sailed as easy as the 356. Size is less important than how it is outfitted. With the right set up, it’s easy to sail. My wife does not help with thecsailing part, so I’m effectively a single hander all the time. I’ll be 71 in a couple of months and I won’t be downsizing. With our generator and full cockpit enclosure we sail 9 months a year and stay comfortable and warm in spring and fall and cool in the summer.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
doug, you live in a magical place on this globe. great sailing, great highways. sweet choices to enjoy such.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Being a member of a local club can greatly enhance your ability to sail even as you get older. One of our clubs most competitive racers is in his late 70s. He has a 43' stay-sail sloop and sails it weekly. There is never a shortage of crew volunteers, and he has done Key West race week, Miami's Columbus Day regatta and the Conch Republic Cup (Key West to Cuba). Multiple times. Winning his class on a few occasions. He also participates in many of our clubs cruising events like Abbaco Race Week. Last year he volunteered his boat for our clubs Lady's Day race. He was able to relax aboard as an entire crew of lovely young women sailed his boat to 2nd place behind a fast trimaran captained by a 13 year old.

Here is a picture of his boat participating in our local Holiday Boat parade. He held a Holiday crew party were everyone helped decorate the boat.
2017-12-10 17.58.59.jpg

Retiring doesn't mean downsize. It just gives you more time to sail.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I've been taking short trips single handed on my Endeavour 42. So far so good. All lines lead to the cockpit. Picking up the mooring ball has been easier than expected. The plan is to single hand from Fla to the Chesapeake this summer. Age 64.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've been taking short trips single handed on my Endeavour 42. So far so good. All lines lead to the cockpit. Picking up the mooring ball has been easier than expected. The plan is to single hand from Fla to the Chesapeake this summer. Age 64.
I can still remember being 64.