Battery problems/questions?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
but I’m not sure if I have sealed lead acid or AGM Batteries, probably an open lead acid?
These are interstate 4D batteries with removable caps. I just topped off the water last night.
Mike,

You can't have both removable caps and sealed, can you? If the caps come off, they are not AGMs.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
These are interstate 4D batteries with removable caps.
Those are the senior technology, what are called "flooded" lead acid batteries. As long as you make sure they are watered as necessary, they are probably the best for simple charging systems, and certainly the best value out there.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Talked with Rod today, got everything sorted out. He missed shipping my remote with the first order, so that came in yesterday. So I think after one more trip to the boat I'll have the charger install complete.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Mike, Question-Why the Blue Sea voltmeter model 1733 instead of the Blue Sea multimeter model 1834?
Besides the cost difference.
Wondering about your choice and how its working out? Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The 1733 just displays voltage. The 1834 displays amps and bolts, has alarms is square not round and costs $200 more, and takes longer to install.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The 1733 just displays voltage. The 1834 displays amps and bolts, has alarms is square not round and costs $200 more, and takes longer to install.
The 1834 is a full blooded Ah counter / battery monitor and with it come the complexities of keeping it calibrated.

The 1733 is a low cost voltmeter that displays to the hundredths position (nice for trends). If all you want to know is when to charge eg: start charging at 12.2V, and you want to keep it simple, the 1733 can't be beat for the price....

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Wondering about your choice and how its working out? Thanks
Wanted to keep it simple and after discussing with Maine Sails this is what he suggested. Everything seems to be working fine, boat will be back in the water soon and all systems will be up and running, so I'll have a better idea then.

Maine Sail, I still have that extra part they sent me... I guess they don't want it back. Is it something someone on here could use?