Seafarer 29

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I am considering buying one, a 1976 model that appears to be in excellent condition. Current owner has done a great deal of work on her, selling because his wife has developed a phobia of heeling and he bought it with the idea they'd sail together.

I can't find much info on this boat besides the specs on sailboatdata.com. I saw a post on SBO about similar model, except with swing keel, named ROMA, featured on "Coastal Cruising With Hugh & Suze" blog.

Anyway the post mentions a 20 hp outboard auxiliary, but the one I'm looking at has 8.8hp Yanmar single-cylinder inboard. Is that enough power for a 6610 lbs. displacement boat?

Any further information on this boat, especially the fixed-keel model, would be appreciated.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
For a boat of this age, the key questions are:
- do you like her looks?
- do her sailing ratios meet your needs?
- do you and anyone who will sail regularly with you like the accommodations? This means getting into your bunk(s) and feeling good. And standing in the kitchen while you imagine making a meal. And sitting down at the table in the cabin as if to eat.
- What does the survey (negotiated as a condition of a purchase contract with the right to negotiate any issues it raises, or to walk away) say?

The engine sounds like a Yanmar SB8. In addition to the survey, I would have a diesel mechanic check it out. A 23 year old SB8 with mild compression issues drove our 7000 lb ‘77 h 27 h27 to about 4.5 to 5 knots in flat water. That was OK until it blew the head gasket. If it’s in good shape, I’d use it with a reserve for an upgrade to a 1gm or 2gm in my mind. Our like new 1gm10 drives our boat close to hull speed (6 knots). We got about 8 years out of the SB8.

Boats from the 70’s were mostly made with similar, generic systems, once the fiberglass was laid down. How well a boat has endured the years is usually more important than the original details.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I sail on a Seafarer 23 or that vintage quite often. It is a pretty tired boat. The big issue for me is the keel. On the 23 it is an encapsulated keel meaning that the ballast is put into a fiberglass enclosure which is integral with the hull. If it were a bolted on keel I would probably not sail on it knowing the overall condition of the boat. Seafarers were made here on LI, I think in Huntington area. The 23 was modified by the original owner to remove the skeg hung rudder and replaced it with a transom hung rudder. It is a good sailing boat as I expect the 29 would be. They have reached their bottom value. Be aggressive about price. Whatever you think it's worth - it's worth less.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I worked at the Seafarer factory in Long Island one summer in about 1970, a few years before that one was built. Check these:
The ones when I were there had the deck assembly glued to the hull with thickened epoxy, and the chain plates attached to u-bolts that went through the deck but were not attached to the hull. I can't tell from the photo how this one works, but it looks like the chain plates bolt to the side of the deck. Check that area and the toerail area, as if it is designed the same way there is a lot of stress pulling at that hull-deck joint.
From what I recall the portlights were rather cheap plastic of some sort with the white frames molded in, and the inner and outer parts were screwed onto the glass surface with some filler under the white frame part (that is, not through bolted). Seemed prone to loosening and leakage to me - so check the integrity of these. If the holes are a standard size I suppoe it might not be too hard to fix if ever required.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Shemander - yes, the factory was in Huntington, If I recall it was on Park Ave near where it crosses the LI Railroad tracks - just north of that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We still see them around here. I don't know if they had much of a national distribution network.
The description of the UBolt chain plates on the 23 is accurate. I have to admit they are doing OK on the one I sail on. We did lose a lower shroud while hitting a wave once. The "Chainplate" held. There is no deck separation that I've detected. The liner is cracked in places from a couple of rough races in which I was glad to ride on another boat.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I am considering buying one, a 1976 model that appears to be in excellent condition. Current owner has done a great deal of work on her, selling because his wife has developed a phobia of heeling and he bought it with the idea they'd sail together.

I can't find much info on this boat besides the specs on sailboatdata.com. I saw a post on SBO about similar model, except with swing keel, named ROMA, featured on "Coastal Cruising With Hugh & Suze" blog.

Anyway the post mentions a 20 hp outboard auxiliary, but the one I'm looking at has 8.8hp Yanmar single-cylinder inboard. Is that enough power for a 6610 lbs. displacement boat?

Any further information on this boat, especially the fixed-keel model, would be appreciated.
That's a familiar looking place! :)
The 8.8 would be enough for the lake it's on now. Quite a few boats on Oologah have the single lung Yanmar and do just fine in any reasonable condition. Any questions shoot me a PM.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
The seller and I went out for a test sail today. I like how she handles. I'm not used to wheel steering - I have always had a tiller up to now, but I like the wheel. The current owner tightened it up and there is no slop or play.
I did check the chainplates. They are indeed bolted to the side of the deck, but all looks solid and there is no separation of the deck and hull. The portlights are in good shape. The engine has been well maintained and runs good.
Upshot is, I'm going ahead and buying her (you knew I would). I believe I'm getting very good value for the money.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
seafarers are good tough boats. watch the ports for signs of leakage. after 30 years we had to re seal the deck hatches, not a bad job once you figured out the bolts were different lengths around the hatch perimeter and the hatch rubber seal was still avaible in decent quantity. mast lights needed to be re wired . in the olden days 10 hp was the rule for a boat that size.now the rule is engine hp of 2x or more the gross tonnage so a 15000 boat gets a 30 horse or more.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Congratulations. We had a YSE8 on our previous boat which displaced 6000lbs as per the builder. It had no problems pushing that boat, even when loaded at between 5 & 5.5 knots. on our vacation, every year it would get a workout going up the St. Lawrence, against the current and the prevailing winds often running for 30 hours. It never let us down and, if maintained will be reliable as a stone.

Matt

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Hope you had a good first sail on the new boat this afternoon.
Yep, first sail as owner of "Blue Moon". It was great! Back on the water on my own boat for the first time in 19 1/2 months (too long!). Got to the dock around 4:30, on the water 5:30, back in around 7:30, so just a short outing. Light wind in the NNW, 62 deg., very pleasant. The boat is responsive and the helm seems well-balanced in these conditions, very very slight weather helm.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Glad you had a good time. I think you'll enjoy sailing on Oologah. The sailors here are a damn fine bunch of folks. Looking forward to getting my medical issues resolved and being back out on the water with you.