Folding Prop

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I understand the "total cost" calc you have assigned to the prop replacement but I think I noticed you are in FL. I would assume you need bottom painting every two or three years depending on the paint, growth etc (maybe even more often). So assigning the whole cost of the haul to the prop replacement may be somewhat artificial. Just saying. Are there other things you would like to have done? Maybe you just had the bottom painted but I know I try to schedule the "out of water" work together to make the haul bill worthwhile. Like John said too you really can't expect to "recover" the full cost of most things so do what gives you the most enjoyment. I just added an electric halyard winch conversion to lift my heavy main and I wish I'd have done it a long time ago. Now I don't ask myself "is it worth hauling up the main or should I just sail on the genoa or motor". Its a no brainer now. What else are you going to do with that 2.2K anyway (LOL).

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I had the bottom done in Jun 15. I dive on the boat every month to clean it. Everything but the prop looks good. I wipe the slime away and scrape the prop. Takes about an hour. I figure I have another year on the paint. That being said, if the boat comes out, it will get painted. I may just wait a year. Undecided at this point.

It was my hope there was a 310 owner with this engine/transmission & prop, or anyone with this engine/transmission & prop on their boat who could tell me their experience.

I was surprised about the pitch recommendation and the two-blade recommendation.

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
I am not selling anything here, and am very interested in this discussion. The Bruntons Autoprop is my favorite, and features very well in the YM article, but there is another test that I have not seen posted anywhere done by Voile (French) sailing magazine.....it supports my preference, but is another good unbiased test. Kiwi tell me the YM test was flawed, as it was conducted in tidal waters (fast flowing at mid tide), and the Kiwi was tested at the worst time (they would say that!?). Here is a link to the Voile test, taken from Kiwis website: http://www.kiwiprops.co.nz/cms/index.php/k3-resources/voile-magazine-2009
As I say, the Bruntons is my preferred choice, but I have just picked up a Kiwi second hand at a very good price....now to check/overhaul/fit test....I will let you know.
Neil

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I have a 310 (hull 160) with a 2 blade feathering Maxprop, 15 x 11 RH. I was lucky enough to buy this used from a friend that had it on his Catalina 320 and figured he wouldn't get his monies worth leaving it on his boat when he sold it. I had a 2 blade fixed before the feathering. I wrote 15 x 11 in my notes, but there is an adjustable pitch on this prop.
I find nothing but bonuses in it's performance. Increase in motoring speed, better reverse and less prop walk. I probably would not have bought it new because of price, but it has been one of my favorite upgrades. There is an increase in sailing speed, but I'm not sure what that is due to the ever changing conditions, but motoring is about a .5kts increase.
I'm sure most of the modern feathering props are about the same, performance wise, and there are many tests on-line that you can look up.
Cheers

KZW

May 17, 2014
Amazing Grace, C-310 #307, built in2005, has the original engine and prop; Universal M25 XPB, turning a 3-blade 15x9 fixed prop. The transmission is the proven weak Hurth ZF 5M transmission, gear ratios 2.05 & 1.86.
Flex-O-Fold recommends their 2-blade 15x11.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Our boat a 2007 310, has a 2 blade fixed prop. Reading this it sound like they came with a few options. Not that I plan on swapping props, but it was interesting hearing about the performance improvements.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Our boat a 2007 310, has a 2 blade fixed prop. Reading this it sound like they came with a few options. Not that I plan on swapping props, but it was interesting hearing about the performance improvements.
What is the diameter and pitch of your prop?
Do you have the universal 25, with the Hurth transmission?

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
What is the diameter and pitch of your prop?
Do you have the universal 25, with the Hurth transmission?

Not sure. When I cleaned the prop I seen there were some marks on it, I’ll check this weekend.

It’s the 25xpb, not sure of the transmission.

Concerning the prop, the previous owners painted it with bottom paint as well as the shaft. I removed all the paint and smoothed the prop and shaft. I seen west marine has a special paint for the prop, quite expensive though. Wondering if anyone uses this or has another technique for keeping growth off the prop and shaft?

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
I picked up a second-hand Kiwi prop', the blades are about 1.5" diameter smaller than the recommended size, so I have increased the pitch. Still need to do another tweek, but I make hull speed 6.5kts at 3600rpm. I have noticed much better stopping power in reverse, and so far had no issues engaging reverse. Under sail about 0.5kts better off.
Very pleased.
Neil