Feast of Saint Patrick

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
As we prepare for the feast (served popularly in generous flagons, and cups). Let's raise a glass to immigrants past, and the most famous of original unwanted immigrants, the Irish. God bless them they've been struggling for independence and run out of their homeland Eireland in the British Isles so many times it is hard to keep track of the diaspora. Irish immigrants persevered in the colonies with a spirit that glows bright. Taking the jobs nobody else wanted, living in the places nobody else would, celebrating their pre-Christian roots.

Here's a flag you haven't seen. That is the goddess Erin holding the cross and of course the Gaelic harp. It flies over a tropical land where 75% of the people claim to be Irish. Whose flag is it?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just received a free glass with this thing labeled Guinness on it. Said something about St. Patricks Day.

Wow, free glass.

I gotta go out and find something to put in it.

What's this Guinness stuff?

Anybody know? :)

PS-lots of other immigrants than these ::: LOTS.

Let's welcome them all instead of doing what these nutcases are doing. Sad. We were all immigrants.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
jim, it's 'conqureror' is what you are. it wasn't pretty. ask a native. my people must of known your people.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Oooh. That's a little severe. The question is just one of historical interest. I don't know the answer but would like to. I know it's not Aruba because that has a Dutch history. But there are a lot of Irish there. It isn't likely Puerto Rico but they too have a history of Irish immigration. Not Panama - laborers came from all over for the canal but I doubt the flag had British or Irish symbolism since the French and Americans oversaw the building of the canal. Think outside the box. Australia? New Zealand? 75 %? That's a lot! Is this a real nation or an island nation? Tasmania? I await enlightenment.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Sorry I am not going there.;)
What I learned when living in Mexico, a few years, all humanoids came to North America from Asia. Oh well.:confused:

My kin did help stop tyranny.:)
Jim...

PS: Check out this Museum.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Part of this thread has taught me a lot. Mostly that there is a place called Montserrat. I never even knew it existed. The other part of the thread is teaching me nothing I didn’t already know.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
PS-lots of other immigrants than these ::: LOTS.

Let's welcome them all instead of doing what these nutcases are doing. Sad. We were all immigrants.

I'm not an immigrant, I was born here. Which makes me a native American.

And just because I see things differently than you does not make me a nutcase.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
In honor of Odile, County Cork, fearless sailor, you left us too soon girl.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Stu Jackson with regards to that dark creamy elixir you seek. It is the drink I shared with you last May when we first met. You even surprised me with a bar towel whispering the name.
Say it with reverence.
Guinness.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Missing the corned beef and cabbage we always had at the station. Don’t suppose I could find some on this island.

All U Get