Well, for better or worse, I'm on board.

Mar 9, 2018
Catalina 27 Nanaimo
To follow up on my previous post, here; https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/purchasing-advice.190310/

Against the advice almost everyone offered, we went ahead and purchased our first sailboat.

Say hello to Wildflower, Catalina 22 hull #5228.
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG

We made the decision to purchase this boat despite all the caveats that people offered us (both on here, and IRL) for several reasons. I think the most prominent one is that the PO is a local business leader in town, and several friends of mine speak quite highly about him & his family. Wildflower has been in his family for 20 years, and it was the boat he learned to sail on. He knows her in and out, and has offered to help us out with any issues that come our way.

I know, I'm an idiot.

On the plus side, our neighbours in the marina are quite friendly, and have a trailer we can borrow once in a while. Or so they say.

So, I'm sure that I have gone ahead and bitten off way more than I needed to chew, but we're excited, the hull floats, and the rigging is all serviceable. We've got a troller motor on the way, and will be getting that set up when it gets here.

So thanks everyone for the advice, and I'm probably going to be sorry that I didn't listen. I'm still excited none-the-less.

Now we just need to learn how to sail.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
One more bit of advice, post thumbnails rather than full photos.

You're not an idiot, as far as you know. :biggrin:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Looks good and sounds like a family history and local feedback are great.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It'll be just fine, and you'll have a blast, and you'll learn a lot, and it will give you an excuse to post here, and everyone should learn to sail, and you only have one first sailboat, and it will be an adventure and you're in it together, and ...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
welcome to your great adventure. may you have as many fond memories of your 'first boat...' as many of us still do...!

fair winds calm seas avoid hurricanes...

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Congratulations - by the end of the summer, you'll probably have some great stories you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Mar 9, 2018
Catalina 27 Nanaimo
Thanks everyone! Here are some more pictures of her.

Here we can see the teak that needs refinishing
BjHS6qy4S0eBIj+zt9fuWQ.jpg

This is a large crack in the cockpit deck. Nothing is squishy, which is a good sign, but something that needs attention.
%N1ev+5CQNybjCR1HVZeMQ.jpg

The stanchions probably need to be rebedded.. Is that even a word?

Bs3+Wz%AQ0qQpHkfs7tUZw.jpg

The PO's Grandad filled the Starboard side lazerette locker with foam. I don't know if this is a thing anyone else has seen. I'm gonna soak this in anti-mould spray, and see what happens.
1OS9IcOrS%2QPQG3Bfbb6Q.jpg

Where the boom meets mast. Most of the rigging seems serviceable. Is everything brand new? No. Nothing seems like it's about to fall apart though.
wrWb8aM2QJGYat08c3eQeQ.jpg

The... boom vang, I think? Most of the blocks look like this. Used, but not too beaten up.
ZQLFreUIT%aJfxc77xBQWQ.jpg

Here's the forestay, featuring some stress fractures from the bowsprit.
wI6KQWx6TzaBDMEvUSsGIg.jpg

More pics to follow!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Congratulations! and welcome aboard. The 22 is a great boat and there are many reasons it is such a successful design. You can't go far wrong. Enjoy the adventure and remember when you get frustrated that boating is always a learning opportunity.
Good luck and have fun!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congratulations, and welcome to the club....you've got some adventure (and work) ahead, plenty of enablers here to see you thru it! Fix the worst first, be safe and go sailing! Cheers!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You are an idiot ... you've changed your life forever and there is no going back. I feel sorry for you! Oh well, there's nothing you can do about it now. You'll just have to go sailing and hope for the best! :waycool::waycool:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
You are an idiot ... you've changed your life forever and there is no going back. I feel sorry for you! Oh well, there's nothing you can do about it now. You'll just have to go sailing and hope for the best! :waycool::waycool:
LOL!!
He'll be just fine....he's just beginning where most of us suckers began! (...and I believe he has an advantage being a tad younger and trimmer...he'll fit nicely in the crawlspace!)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, even worse than becoming a sail boat owner, he's joined this forum, poor guy. I bet they didn't tell him when he checked in that "Hotel California" rules take effect immediately. Kermit was the first to make me aware of this, as I recall. Sue thought for a couple of years that I had to be looking for an affair on line. And it was too late, anyway ... the affair had already started!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
You’ve picked up a great day/weekend sailboat and if you’ve a mind to do any racing this boat has a great one design fleet with regattas all over the US and national championships. Check out
https://www.catalina22.org/

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Congratulations on the new boat! And, welcome to SBO. You will definitely find a wealth of information in the archives and forums as well as advice on tons of ways in which to part with your cash! Hope you enjoy your first boat as much as we have. BTW, I was in Nanaimo about four years ago; really a charming part of the world. Appears to be a great area in which to sail with lots of coves to explore. Good luck!