DST is here!

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
Lobbyists for corporations that benefit from people engaging in outdoor activities after work are the driving force behind keeping DST. Keep DST on the books and I will donate to your campaign. This is the political part of the decision.

Outdoor workers and school age children are most affected by DST. Little kids waiting to get on a school bus or walking to school in the dark when it was daylight at that hour before the time change... Roofers waiting for the dew or frost to burn off of a roof so the roof is safe to walk on. Farmers wanting to get into their fields...

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
an extra hour of daylight wouldn't hurt
You don’t get any additional daylight! Its just an exercise in determining whether you can remember how to reset the clocks twice a year.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Farmers, roofers or anyone who work outside don't work according to what the clock on the wall says. They work around the conditions.

I remember it really being a pain when the training schedule required night flying in July, January was not so bad.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Outdoor workers and school age children are most affected by DST. Little kids waiting to get on a school bus or walking to school in the dark when it was daylight at that hour before the time change.
OMG :eek:
The Horror of it all.:yikes::yikes:

Birds in shock, Dogs and Cats fighting...
Jim...

PS: I always wondered why our public buildings were idle 16 hours a day. Lack of Daylight.:pimp:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Lobbyists for corporations that benefit from people engaging in outdoor activities after work are the driving force behind keeping DST. Keep DST on the books and I will donate to your campaign. This is the political part of the decision.

Outdoor workers and school age children are most affected by DST. Little kids waiting to get on a school bus or walking to school in the dark when it was daylight at that hour before the time change... Roofers waiting for the dew or frost to burn off of a roof so the roof is safe to walk on. Farmers wanting to get into their fields...
While I appreciate that rather cynical view, we live here and know many roofers, farmers, business owners, snowbirds and obviously residents including parents of school-age children, all of whom support permanent DST.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think (I know hard to imagine) that the reasons used to establish the law have changed.

We have adapted. We grumble each time we have to change the clock. There is just not enough momentum to change the law. Sure some folk in some industries feel they get more bucks from the law, but that is just hogwash - noise for "DON'T CHANGE IT I'm COMFORTABLE".

If you want an extra hour of play start an hour earlier and then take off. You probably deserve it. You want to live your life based on the solar changes, then do it. Go to work (or maybe get a specific job) that lets you set your schedule to the clock you want not the one they tell you to use.

You really can decide this for your self. You just need to be willing to interface with the rest of the world on their clock. If you travel enough, Who knows what that is?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If I were King of the World we would all be on the same time zone and operate on a 24hr clock i.e. Zulu time.

Different schedules could be accommodated with a simple plus 6, plus 8, on up makes much more sense when you have worked in that system.

BTW How many major time zones are there? A few places are a weird 30 minutes out from their neighbors I am not including those.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When alone on the boat, I tend to go more by sleep in the dark get up in the light. Sail on the out going tide. Work on the boat til it gets too dark or I get hungry or it is time for Beer.
Life is so much simpler.
Then there is the phone calls... NO MILK ON THE Trailer. Shoot. Who sends a truck out without milk on it? What are these morons thinking? Oppps sorry work just caused me to interface with the real world... Guess I better look at a clock...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
When alone on the boat, I tend to go more by sleep in the dark get up in the light.
When I’m alone on the boat it’s because my crew fell off. Sometimes by accident, other times because death by drowning is preferable to sailing with me.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have the solution to all of our woes. The perfect plan for Daylight savings Time. Every night at 2:00 AM the time falls back an hour. We will all get an extra hour of sleep. Then at 4:00 PM the time springs forward to 5:00. Workers will get off an hour early. Since the last hour of the day is generally unproductive employers won’t lose productivity. And the hours worked will be far more productive due to well-rested employees with great morale due to getting off an hour early each day. The time falls back again at 2:00 AM and the cycle continues.
You’re welcome.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Let's cut the top of the blanket off and sew it to the bottom of the blanket so our feet will be warmer.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My wife heard a rumor this morning that the Governor signed it. I have been unable to confirm.

Sunshine Daydream: Florida Bill Would Make Daylight Saving Time Year-Round
Today's Tampa Bay Times

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) - Florida Governor Rick Scott signed the Daylight Saving Time bill on Friday.

The bill declares the legislature's intent to observe Daylight Saving Time year-round through the entire state of Florida.

The bill now moves to Congress for approval.

If approved, the state of Florida would not "fall back" an hour in autumn.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well that is wrong. Throws off the natural clock of 1 hour/15°+/- of longitude. At least in Florida. They should have made it Standard Time and not Daylight Saving Time. An hour of sunlight in the morning or in the evening, it is all the same thing. It equals out in the long run.

Doesn't Arizona use Standard time, or do they also use Daylight Saving Time as the year long standard?