The third Nor'easter in 10 days, arrives today, as a blizzard on our coast.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
T.S. Elliot wrote,

"April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers."

While I agree having lived inland in New England most of my life, I don't think he was on the coast at the time he wrote this. We still can get big snowfalls but they don't last.

Today's storm has been upgraded to a Blizzard warning on the West coast of Penobscot Bay. We could see 2 feet of snow before it's done later, tomorrow. But I doubt it. And it will soon be gone. The coast is warmer than inland and late snow melts fast.

I don't know who wrote this simple adage about weather on the Maine coast, but it's surprisingly accurate; and goes.

" Ten degrees warmer in the winter, ten degrees cooler in the summer".

This photo was taken after the last Nor'easter came through(late last week?). This is an old house I restored (for a client), across the street from our old house. That snow is almost gone, ready for today's, fresh blizzard.

166 Noreaster_.jpg

I should take the wreath down, but I like how it looks covered in fresh snow.
Wreath whitened.jpg

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Tom, locals call these late season snowfalls, poor mans fertilizer. We have started our peas and lettuces in a south facing window. Looking for some new snow peas and iceberg lettuce.....:biggrin:today.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Nat, I was in Hamilton Searsport last Saturday. My wife bought something that was too big to close the hatch on our Jeep. I picked up a nice 30' piece of 7/16" yacht braid for 7 bucks (and picked up a box of #16-22 crimp terminals).

I asked a nice young woman, reddish hair, if Nat was around. She laughed,... I guess you're not on the weekend shift. :)

We had a fine lunch 'down to Belfast', at the Farmers Market. I was gazing at the cold, dark harbor below, and reminiscing about the last time we were in there on Xmas. It was in the high 80's and Mary Ann was swimming in the harbor.
Belfast Harbor (1 of 1).jpg

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
This past winter was the worst on record here in Erie. We are currently sitting at 188 inches of snow so far, more predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Our average snowfall is 102" per year. People here are doing very odd things for seemingly no reasons. Stabbings, shootings in very affluent neighborhoods the last few weeks, I think we have bad cases of cabin fever, reminds of Jack Nicolson in The Shining.

My theory is that we are entering a new ice age.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom.. excuse the confusion. The wreath is on an "old house I restored (for a client), across the street". Why would you concern yourself with taking down a wreath on a neighbors house? Granted it looks pretty seasonal all covered with snow. And who doesn't secretly wish Christmas and the spirit of Christmas lasted longer than December.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom.. excuse the confusion. The wreath is on an "old house I restored (for a client), across the street". Why would you concern yourself with taking down a wreath on a neighbors house? Granted it looks pretty seasonal all covered with snow. And who doesn't secretly wish Christmas and the spirit of Christmas lasted longer than December.

Sorry, John. I take care of the property. In fact, I hang the wreath,...so I remove it when I want. :)

The old house is now a used book store, possibly the only self serve bookstore in the US. Not many places you can do that.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Hi Nat, I was in Hamilton Searsport last Saturday. My wife bought something that was too big to close the hatch on our Jeep. I picked up a nice 30' piece of 7/16" yacht braid for 7 bucks (and picked up a box of #16-22 crimp terminals).

I asked a nice young woman, reddish hair, if Nat was around. She laughed,... I guess you're not on the weekend shift. :)

We had a fine lunch 'down to Belfast', at the Farmers Market. I was gazing at the cold, dark harbor below, and reminiscing about the last time we were in there on Xmas. It was in the high 80's and Mary Ann was swimming in the harbor.
Tom, thanks for supporting the Maine economy and shopping locally. Was Mary Ann shopping at the antiques mall next door, or did she buy a new mushroom anchor? I don't work weekends usually, I did plenty of them when I was the store manager. I see one of the rowing gigs in your picture, I think it is Belle Fast......I've been out a couple of times with the Come Boating rowers, it's fun but I prefer a more solitary rowing/paddling experience. Did you see that they are talking about another storm next week! Sheesh
snowy1.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Welcome to the Pacific Ocean effects.;)

We are in-between El Niño and La Niña... maybe closer to a "La Niñita".

The moisture comes and goes as the Equatorial Pacific is way cooler from our Sun going to the "slumber mode" as we go deeper into fewer Sunspots.

Longer winter like behavior. Really not a lot of snow over the winter, versus El Niño years.

Less Pacific NW moisture, lower the temperature gets, but it has been "pulsing" moisture, thus the NorEasterlies.
Jim...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Enjoying the Four'easter? Just now on the coast of Maine. Pretty storm.
Four'easter.JPG