Question on Xantex freedom inverter charger

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
i have a freedom 2000 inverter charger by Xantex in my 2002 passage 456, noticed lately when I start the Jenny that I see voltage at 14.20 or so on my battery monitor a Xantex 1000 but amp are in the 12-15 range, seem like its a 100 amp charger and the first hour or so shouldn't it be putting out more amps? But voltage is correct reading so wonder if I'm concerned about nothing or is the charger not operating properly? We've been cruising for 5 years and it seems I normally saw higher amperage readings. But voltage is spot on so maybe it's my battery monitor

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
amp are in the 12-15 range, seem like its a 100 amp charger and the first hour or so shouldn't it be putting out more amps?
You need to tell us what the estimated SOC of your battery bank is. If it is full, what you describe will always happen.

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
4 195 amp hour Decca AGM 4 d batteries.
Xantex 1000 says I was down 245 amp hrs, turned the generator on, voltage went up rather quick to 14.20 but noticed amp reading was in the low 20s high teens. Also seems that the amp hrs are being put in very slow like one tenth of a amp hour a minute. At that rate its 10 minutes to put back one amp he and that seems off to me. I assume since the voltage reads 14 or so the charger must be working properly, I suspect the battery monitor but not a expert on these things. So looking for advice from those that know more. I recently did install a buss so I could move the congestion from the side of the shunt that all the devices attract too. Didn't think that would effect anything but I had 5-6 leads stacked up on that shunt so I felt I needed to install the buss. So I connected the buss to the shunt with 1 gauge batter cable then spread the connections along the 6 pins on the buss. Making sure all negative connections passed thru the shunt but eliminated the overlapping of the ring connectors.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Freedom 2000 when solely a DC charger, drops off in VDC as the batteries charge.
What did the DC voltage show, a constant 14.2?
You might make sure the Invert is off to assure that no other Amp use is taking place.
Jim...

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Yep it was off, the other reason the link 1000 is a suspect is that the digital readout is fluctuating 14.20 14.25 14.30 14.20 etc, and the amps are bouncing from 9 up to 15 in different increments. Seems like I never saw that kind of fluctuating before.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I dont have the 1000. Mine are analog gauges. My amp gauge was damaged by the Tech who installed my new Radar, but they just connected the feeds together to "bypass it".

I bought a DC amp "clamp on" meter to check stuff instead of replacing it.

Sounds like the 1000 is loose connected.
Can you pull some DC amps, like auto pilot or some other 2-4 Amp DC use?
If you can, and check the house battery to see if the voltage drops. That should verify your 1000.
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Yep it was off, the other reason the link 1000 is a suspect is that the digital readout is fluctuating 14.20 14.25 14.30 14.20 etc, and the amps are bouncing from 9 up to 15 in different increments. Seems like I never saw that kind of fluctuating before.
Our Link1000 does the same thing and it seems to be working just fine. Bulk charge fluctuates like yours until it reaches the absorption phase. Charging amps seem pretty steady with ours in milliamp steps. The rate of charging amps do depend upon whether I have any draw. When I'm on the hook and running the Genset to charge the house bank I normally will wait for thirty minutes before turning on the hot water tank, for example.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sounds like the 1000 is loose connected.
First guess, if everything was fine before you did the new bus bar, is a loose connection somewhere. Go check them all. Good luck.
Making sure all negative connections passed thru the shunt but eliminated the overlapping of the ring connectors.
And make SURE this is also correctly done. Double check is all I'm sayin'.

And check the wires to and from the shunt to the 1000.