Lower lifeline hole plastic insert

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I am replacing the lifelines on my 82 Hunter 30 and I am looking for the plastic inserts that go into the hole to protect the line from chafing.
Does anyone know of a source for these plastic inserts?

Attachments

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
They should have them here. They are called lifeline stops.

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I wasn't able to find them on this site and no I am not looking for the line stops.
Looking closely at the picture I could make out most of the part# and some of the manufacturer name. A little help from Google and it looks like it is a Heyco SB437-5. Now my problem is what to do with the extra 238 since they come in a package of 250.
Still searching for a smaller quantity.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maybe other Hunter owners will buy some from you here? I can check my lines and if I have/need them.

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I would be glad to part with a few if I can't find a smaller quantity.
I am not sure they will fit over the swedged ends because the ID is 5/16th or .312". I currently have all my lifeline off so I will pop in the new bushings and then run the 5/16th wire through them and then put on the Suncor lifeline kit ends.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have been looking for that type of grommet for my Beneteau's stantions as well. Don't know if the size is the same but I'd be willing to take a chance on a dozen of them (6 stantions fore and aft) if you end up buying some. I think my lifeline wire is probably 3/16 (not covered). That broken one you posted the pic of looks a lot like the things that used to be in my stantions.

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I ordered a bag of 250 from Amazon to arrive around 15 March.
Heyco 2044 SB-437-5 WHITE SNAP BUSHING (package of 250)
That means I can afford to drop about 200 over the side during the install. If you are interested in some of these send me a private message.

The dimensions/description says:
  • Heyco Snap Bushing, 6/6 Nylon
  • .437" Mounting Hole Diameter, .125" Max Panel Thickness
  • .312" inside dia, .531" Head Dia, .406" Overall Height
  • Converts raw-edged holes to smooth, neat, insulated holes
  • Locking fingers "snap" into holes with fingertip pressure

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I finally received my bag of 250 plastic bushings and completed my lower life lines last Sunday.
I only dropped 2 and they both managed to fall into the boat. I am sending some to JRacer and still have a few so contact me via PM if you would like some for your life line rebuild.
IMGP3205_1.JPG
IMGP3205_1.JPG

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
Yes there is one on each side to protect the line from the sharp edges on the hole in the stanchion. The original ones were all destroyed by the sun. Below is a picture of one of the new ones.

Attachments

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
Are they split and push in on both sides? I don't have any on the Hunter.
Justin_NSA, I only had the broken part of one on my 1982 Hunter 30, see pic at beginning of this post. All the rest had crumbled and disappeared.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is my setup. The lifelines are coated end to end. Seems like the grommets might protect the coating if they would still fit. May be too tight though.
20180324_150816_1521985059556_resized.jpg

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
The holes in your posts look like the were punched causing them to be rounded inward. The holes in my posts were not rounded so they were sharp and they chaffed the coating off the lifeline and were starting to wear on the wire. I don't believe you need the plastic bushings and I don't think they would work because they need the edge for the retaining clips.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the observation. One less project. I've been counting that various hatch "bumpers" in my cockpit area that need replacing. There are 3 height sizes throughout. I need to make a final count and order them from the SBO store

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
Intrepid-II now has new Suncor SS lifelines and I still have close to 200 of the plastic grommets.
I bought a 50ft roll of wire and had about 7ft left which will be just right for the swim ladder life line.
Send me a PM if you would like to get some for your lifeline replacement project.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Intrepid-II now has new Suncor SS lifelines and I still have close to 200 of the plastic grommets.
I bought a 50ft roll of wire and had about 7ft left which will be just right for the swim ladder life line.
Send me a PM if you would like to get some for your lifeline replacement project.
How are those inserts holding up to UV and wear?