Bimini for Hunter 34

slooop

Jan 29, 2015
Hunter 34 Panama City, FL
I had a bimini made when I bought my h34 in 1984. I'm 6'4' so I had it made taller. Had to replace the canvas only once. Cannot imagine sailing without one. Course I'm in Florida. I took my dodger down and have it stored. It was always in the way, blocked the view and was a pain to climb around it. Go for the bimini tho.

Dec 22, 2016
Hunter 34 Grand Isle LA
I have a lightweight poly-carbonate and anodized aluminum hard top. I got it from hardtotop.com, I have had it on for few years and it a great top. I mounted it directly on my bimini frame. It with stand high winds like a champ. The cost was comparable to canvas and it is guaranteed for 10 years. Check out there website.

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Heart of Gold, I know this is an older thread, but looking at the picture of your dodger I can't figure out how you are controlling the mainsheet! Is it being routed along the boom to the mast, back down, and around to the cockpit? Or is it somehow going directly through the dodger to the cockpit in a way I can't see?

I have a H31 and would like to install a dodger and this is one of the tricky points I'm trying to think through: how to control the mainsheet while keeping it outside the dodger.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is how ours looks on our H31. PO had a dodger, I still have the bridge piece, but the rest of the dodger was missing when we got her.
2016-12-24 13.36.34.jpg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
On the h34 the main sheet is run long the boom to the mast and then under and thru the deck hood to sheet clutches.
I thought the 31 and 34 were set up the same however it seems to be done differently by the photos I'm am looking at.

I wonder if this was an owner mod or choice from factory's set up.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
On the h34 the main sheet is run long the boom to the mast and then under and thru the deck hood to sheet clutches.
I thought the 31 and 34 were set up the same however it seems to be done differently by the photos I'm am looking at.

I wonder if this was an owner mod or choice from factory's set up.
Capt Robbie,

My Main sheet on my 31 originally ran along the boom, but I rerouted it with a triple block with cam and becket, to increase my mechanical advantage, reduce my friction, and free up my deck organizer and cam cleats for additional halyard and downhaul line.

This would not have been possible with a dodger in place.

Last edited:

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
harken mainsheet system with dedicated winch.jpg

Aha, I see, something like this.
I really would like a dodger so guess I'll have to change my rigging back to the setup in this picture. Currently my mainsheet is rigged with a simple block and tackle from an eyelet on the boom down to my traveler, probably a 4:1. Probably an old vang tackle. The previous owner had a tendency to jury-rigged things.

Pateco, your canvas looks great! Do you know if your frames are aluminum or stainless? On my H31 I have frames for a bimini and hardware for a dodger but no canvas. However, now I'm not sure if my frames are stainless or aluminum... I would like to mount solar panels on my Bimini frame so will need stainless. I saw 100watt flexible panels on Amazon for as low as $125 and weighing only 8lbs. Would like to mount 400 watts, or 32 lbs of solar. We'll see.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
View attachment 147447
Aha, I see, something like this.
I really would like a dodger so guess I'll have to change my rigging back to the setup in this picture. Currently my mainsheet is rigged with a simple block and tackle from an eyelet on the boom down to my traveler, probably a 4:1. Probably an old vang tackle. The previous owner had a tendency to jury-rigged things.
The changes I made moved me from 5-1 purchase to 6-1 while also removing three blocks worth of friction. It did however make a dodger impractical.

Pateco, your canvas looks great! Do you know if your frames are aluminum or stainless? On my H31 I have frames for a bimini and hardware for a dodger but no canvas. However, now I'm not sure if my frames are stainless or aluminum... I would like to mount solar panels on my Bimini frame so will need stainless. I saw 100watt flexible panels on Amazon for as low as $125 and weighing only 8lbs. Would like to mount 400 watts, or 32 lbs of solar. We'll see.
The frames are stainless. The existing canvas was totally worn out when we got her, but I found a local canvas guy on Craigslist who copied and replaced the original canvas for $200 (Other canvas shop quotes in our area were upwards of $900)