please help lol

HUDSON

Oct 22, 2017
hunter 37c pickering
Hi friends
I am a new sailor and a new hunter 1984 37c owner . As launch day is coming quick as we all know . The repairs and maintenance needs to be done . I found out in the fall I need a new stuffing box and cutlass baring and a stuffing box. As my girl didnt come with any paper work or even a plate on the engine lol
I am sure its a yanmar 3qm30 . Transmission unknown
Can anyone help me with what size stuffing box and type i should get ? I understand there are some new options ???
Also what size cutlass bearing

Thanks in advance
H

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That is determined by prop shaft size. I prefer the PSS dripless shaft seal but many people are of a different opinion.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I prefer the PSS dripless shaft seal
:plus::plus:

And don't forget to install your shaft Zincs to protect the shaft and propeller from galvanic corrosion.:)
Jim...

PS: You can search this site for PYI or PSS seals for many discussions and web links.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Can anyone help me with what size stuffing box and type i should get ?
Our boat model is different, and the shaft size is 1.25". If yours is about the same, with a bronze stuffing box, it will take 3/16th inch packing material. Not sure why your box needs replacing. Usually built to last the boat life. Cutlass bearing a different matter.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
The stuffing box packing DOES need to be replaced, based on how much water ir’s Allowing in. Bought my h36 new in 2009, packing needed to be replaced in 2016.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I can’t help with the shaft size or stuffing box, but I did a new shaft on my O’Day 322 last year over the winter...

Hardest parts were removing the coupler from the shaft (I was trying to preserve the old shaft), removing the shaft / installing new shaft with out dropping rudder.

If you are not going to save the old shaft, you can cut it in sections to get it, and the old coupling out. But you should check to see if you can get the new shaft in past the rudder. Having the old cutlass bearing out (you should replace this at the same time) gives you a little play in the shaft and you might get it past the rudder. I did, but took some paint off the rudder.

Here are a couple of videos that may be helpful.

Cutlass bearing removal/ replacement:

Coupling removal:

Shaft removal:

Shaft installation:

Are you going to do this yourself? Or hire it out?

Greg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Tally, nice videos. That first video, I was wondering why you didn't make a tandem ratchet? Would have been easier than going from one bolt to the other bolt. Just a thought.

Jan 7, 2011
Tally, nice videos. That first video, I was wondering why you didn't make a tandem ratchet? Would have been easier than going from one bolt to the other bolt. Just a thought.
Never heard of a tandem ratchet. Quick Google search didn’t turn up much. What is it?

For pressing out the strut bearing, operating both bolts at the same time would be great. They didn’t take a lot of effort to turn. Not so much on the coupling. Plus there was very little room to work in my engine room (can’t even call it a “room”):solame:.

Shoot me a link to a tandem ratchet.

Greg

Feb 17, 2006
Take two like ratchets and connect a crossbar to them. Simple, really.

Drawing1.jpg

Feb 17, 2006
I know, silly, but as I was watching you tighten each lug I thought if I had two ratchets I could do it in tandem keeping the spacing correct. Oh well, that is what I would have done. Silly.

Jan 7, 2011
Would well with ratcheting wrenches like you show in the example. Not so much with non-ratcheting box wrenches. I don’t know if I have 2 socket ratchets the same length

:banghead:

Greg

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
That is a great boat. Your should go to the Cherubini owners forum

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Our HC 37 has a 1 inch propeller shaft. Per suggestion above post in the Cherubini forum.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
As for getting the shaft removed I have read that you can easily unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up enough to slide the shaft under. I have also read that when replacing the shaft you should also replace the coupling.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can anyone help me with what size stuffing box and type i should get ? I understand there are some new options ???
Also what size cutlass bearing

Thanks in advance
H
You have to measure your stern tube diameter and your shaft diameter to determine what size shaft seal you need. If you decide to go 'dripless', I started a thread that mentions some options. It might be of some use. I went with the Lasdrop Gen II
thread: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/dripless-pss-or-lasdrop.190058/