So I bought a Hunter

Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a Hunter 30T, I've read mixed reviews on this boat. Some people love them others despise Hunters. This boat has everything I need in a boat other than limited storage. But being that it will only be used for day trips and an occasional trip to Catalina Island it will be fine. I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with a Hunter 30 and could give some advice on how it handles....when to reef etc. I have only taken it out on a sea trail and haven't really had it in any swells so I'm wondering how it will do in moderate 3 to 5 foot seas.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If the boom is in the water. Start there. There are one or two other examples. Somebody will chime in.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hello Cpt. Rog and welcome to the forums. You are going to like it here.

As far as reefing goes, lots of people, including me, can give you advice on when to reef, but you are going to have to experience the boat and get to know the skills needed to operate your boat, which I assume you have. Run a reefing drill or two and get a feel for how long it takes in low to modest winds. Then see what a difference it makes, say, in about 12 - 15 knots of wind. You'll have fun getting to know your salesmanship and the boat better. Have someone on board who can rescue you if the boom swings and you aren't prepared for it. Harnesses are even better.
I don't know Hunters but I think they are nice looking boats that sail well.
Talk to @Crazy Dave Condon. He's you're nest resource.

Again, welcome, it's good to have you here.

- Will (Dragonfly)

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
What size genoa are you flying? Is it a furling/reefing model or hank-on? I have found that most cruising boats with, say, 150 genoas, need to think about reefing the main or genoa above 10-12 knots, especially if it is gusty to 15-20. Fly a 100 jib and you can bump that up a few. You will have to experiment to see which sail to reduce first for best performance. I often sail with just a genny and no main when it is over 15 knots and that works for my boat. Your mileage may vary. But, as someone will undoubtedly add, if you have any question, then reef before you leave the dock and shake it out later if you guessed wrong: better than the reverse.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
I can’t speak about the 30T but we had a 1980 30’ with a shoal keel. We sail in 7-35mph winds. I only reef when winds are around 20+. We never had problems of being over powered. Every boat is different and you will get to know the one too. I now have a 33.5 and it sail so different. So do as Will says and do some drills so you are prepared when it’s time to do so. You will love it!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the same boat, but we sail on a reservoir. I envy your area, I used to be stationed at MCAS El Toro
You'll need to get a feel for your boat as said previously. The 30T is fitted with 2 reefing point lines led aft so that will help I believe. You probably still have the Hood continuous line furler and the cabin mounted traveler. A few options for depowering when you need to. I read in a 30T review that the bulb keel worked well. Should be a nice sail to Catalina Island under most conditions.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Sorry for the flip answer, earlier but, it really does depend on your comfort zone. I think your 30T is also a Cherubini, just a newer model. Mine is a '77. I hardly (n)ever reef my main because I'm not out much in more than 15 kts. If I do reef I start with my genny (135 deck sweeper) first, reefing that 'til the clew is about lined up with the forward lower shroud. Don't forget to move your leads forward, also. Next would be the first reef in the main. If you don't have one, buy yourself an inclinometer. That way you can see the angle of heel. My '77 likes to sail at about 15-20 degrees. More than 25-30 degrees and she starts to slide sideways. It can be exciting to bury the rail but can be a lot of work and is stressful on the rig. These are stiff boats and it really takes a good 20-25 kts on a close reach to do that. Your boat should do just fine in 3-5 foot seas in deep open water. They are quite sea-kindly. Thing is, go out there and find your's and the boat's comfort level along with the comfort of the crew. Have fun! And, BTW, don't forget the Depends. :)

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That is a great question especially when in comes to Hunters. I'm guessing the T stands for tall rig. I can tell you that when I moved to SF Bay bought my Hunter 34 I was reefing at about 14-15 knots. Sooner if the wife was aboard. Now, after gaining experience and adding a better traveler I routinely sail in 18-20. I've learned how to depower without having to reef. When I feeling lazy I reef.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
T does mean tall rig. Means higher cabin inside. Nice boat but not much for offshore. Ok for your use but watch weather forecast. Start reefing around 15 knots. I use to own one and made many improvements. Let me know if you want to learn more.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
T does mean tall rig. Means higher cabin inside. Nice boat but not much for offshore. Ok for your use but watch weather forecast. Start reefing around 15 knots. I use to own one and made many improvements. Let me know if you want to learn more.
NOT tall rig, sorry.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I'm wondering how it will do in moderate 3 to 5 foot seas.
Hard to gauge. Sea state becomes more of an issue with shorter intervals. Three to five foot seas become rather benign with a ten to fifteen second interval. Shorten that interval to say five to seven seconds and now the crew is getting nervous. In general the narrower PNW waters tend to have shorter intervals because they are shallower. Open and deeper waters tend to deliver longer intervals, generally speaking.

Karen Thorndike showed me videos of her circumnavigation where she experienced 35 foot seas, with fairly long intervals in the lower southern hemisphere. Her boat just rode the crests and troughs like a trooper. Matters will change dramatically when these types of seas begin breaking, or a rogue wave catches the crew off guard.

Different model boat here, but I've never had a need to reef, or at least felt the need. When I've solo sailed her in 25+ knots apparent close hauled, full sails, her rail in the water, maybe I should have put in a tuck or two. She was a real beast, very strong weather helm, but that was only for a short while, maybe an hour or two. Doing that for an extended period in those conditions would have been exhausting.

When the admiral is aboard I try to keep heel to no more than fifteen degrees. Beyond that she gets very uncomfortable.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've read tall rig, tall cabin. The 30-2 has the same height mast. I subscribe to T cockpit

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Most production sail boats including the H30T actually go slower when heeled beyond 20 degrees. When our h27 heels consistently over 15 degrees, we put the first reef in the main. Then we reef the roller fuller on our 110 genny. Close hauled, that means the first reef goes in at 18 to 20 knots of true wind. Off the wind, she stays on her feet in higher winds, but we always need a reef around 23-25 knots.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The best time to reef is at the dock before setting out resting on the forecast. It is much easier to release a reef than to set one. This is prime knowledge, I give it away for free.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
It can be exciting to bury the rail but can be a lot of work and is stressful on the rig. These are stiff boats and it really takes a good 20-25 kts on a close reach to do that. Your boat should do just fine in 3-5 foot seas in deep open water. They are quite sea-kindly. Thing is, go out there and find your's and the boat's comfort level along with the comfort of the crew. Have fun! And, BTW, don't forget the Depends. :)
Thanks Roland,
I would sometimes bury the rail on my old Newport 28 and freak out the wife.
But you are right, it does stress the rigging and this Hunter looks as though the shrouds could be a little heavier gauge. I am glad this boat has a backstay and hadn't gone the way of B and R rigging.

Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
Lol.....if the boom is in the water I have other problems besides reefing.