P42 Genoa Track Rebed

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
For those of you who've re-bedded the genoa tracks on a Passage 42 - are the nuts 'captive'? I've been trying to track down deck leaks and the tracks are the last possibility. Any help on finding deck leaks and the genoa track connections are greatly appreciated. - Jim

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Jim, never dealt with the track before so I'm guessing when I say that likely they are. More likely Hunter used a metal bar/plate bedded into the deck FRP for the track bolts. Used a similar method for the machine screws that secure the stanchion support brackets to the deck.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Have you re-torqued the tow rails? That's a very-occasional maintenance item. Hard to believe it's the track if, like mine, it isn't trough bolted.
You probably know the trick of sealing every hatch, vent etc and then pressurizing the interior with a blower while you have someone go around with soapy water to find the source.
Good luck!

Dec 25, 2000
Where exactly is your leak/s? I've fixed some over the years that have stopped through likely and some not so likely sources. Most have been aft cabin, but doubt the genoa track would be a source.

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Rick - I didn't realize re-torqued the tow rails was needed - I'll look into doing that first.

Terry, the leak comes from the aft stateroom, headliner, starboard side, just above the hull mounted portlight - landing on the teak shelf. I suspect the water comes in elsewhere then flows to this low point. Stanchions, handrails, tank fill ports and emergency rudder port have all been re-bedded. I've checked the mast/wire area - and they are dry. I'm haven't re-bedding the arch, turning blocks, genoa track or winches. (and I religiously keep the aft storage compartment drain holes clean.)

Pressurizing the interior might be a good approach.

May 20, 2017
Hunter 42' Passage St. Petersburg
could you be a little more specific about which port hatch? there are 4 on the transom and one above the lockers on the starboard side. I had one above the lockers that came from the vhf radio which I have mounted aft of the engine panel in the cockpit. A proper seal on the vhf radio fixed it completely. I also had one on the transom upper port light that was a failed (new) gasket. I also had a leak on the port side that I finally traced to the cockpit speaker wire that had been installed without a drip loop by a PO.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Jim: is there a transom shower anywhere in the area? I and others have had problems with leaks from the feed fittings. I finally installed shut off valves upstream of the shower. Problem fixed. However, I went a bit nut chasing the leak for a couple of years first.

Dec 25, 2000
The two aft cabin rainwater leaks were:

1. Aft most port side port light seal. Placed a fresh bead of sealant around the exterior port light frame and that leak stopped.

2. As El Libre mentioned above that leak was coming in through the cockpit sound box, following the wire chase through the SS arch tube and into the aft cabin around the aft engine room door. Placed a drip loop in that wire before it entered the SS tube and that leak stopped.